FOOD for EVAN's MILL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOOD for EVAN's MILL

​Investigators have not made any explicit safety recommendations relating to medical checks following the inquiry into the deliberate LAM Embraer 190 crash in Namibia in November 2013.

the only truly shocking part of this is the failure to recommend any type of psychological screening.

the other thing that boggles my mind is how stupid these autopilot systems really are. in today's techie environment where even a $700 smart phone can make you confirm a serious action 3 times, it is simply inconceivable that a system charged with the lives of 100's of pax has essentially ZERO brains and can be turned into an instrumentality of death with the twirl of a knob...

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
    https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...cal-sc-424354/

the only truly shocking part of this is the failure to recommend any type of psychological screening.

the other thing that boggles my mind is how stupid these autopilot systems really are. in today's techie environment where even a $700 smart phone can make you confirm a serious action 3 times, it is simply inconceivable that a system charged with the lives of 100's of pax has essentially ZERO brains and can be turned into an instrumentality of death with the twirl of a knob...
    There would have been first a "sink rate, sink rate" warning, followed by a "woop woop pull up!!!" one, then I bet is heard all the way through the final seconds of the flight, both of them with enough time to recover.

Cockpits are not designed against intentional wrongdoing.

On a side note, this news reports missed the fact that the pilots violated the company procedure of "no person alone in the cockpit". A flight attendant should have been called into the cockpit before the FO left for the toilet break.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...cal-sc-424354/

Interesting thought- given our modern I-pad/phone easy button world...the GBCFMS* is programmed to refuse to fly into the ground. Our suicidal pilots are met with the classic HAL voice..."What are you doing Dave...this is highly irregular....Dave".

How far do you want to take it Tee Vee?...does the GBCFMS truly always run in the background? Does it always have ultimate authority to take over if it disagrees with the pilot's track?

There's the bunch that says the pilots always should have final say...if that's correct then the the Germanwig dude would simply have to exert a tiny bit more effort and guide the thing into the ground himself, instead of just sitting there, taking it all in.

Then there's the bunch that says, your new super-duper I-phone-based system is going to have an error or hiccup some day that causes a crash..."everything is a trade off".

What if you flew through a hail storm and flamed out both engines and needed to make an emergency off-airport landing...maybe you saw the perfect downhill ski slope on which you could land and save the day? You need that manual over ride then lest HAL stall you at 500 ft AGL....boom- conflict...with an over ride" FO Germanwig will have to go the extra yard and work the sidestick a bit...

Not fighting, just devil's advocating...I think it is a valid thought to realize that your I-phone can probably today, with minimal input, provide terrain avoidance information, so if we could simply hardwire the thing to the controls (via Bluetooth), it could keep planes from being guided into the ground (in places where you don't want them guided into the ground).

Footnote: GBCFMS acronym = General broad concept flight management system- refers to the general concept of computers integrating data and guiding the plane, without specific reference to current FMS systems designs and philosophies on aircraft.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Cockpits are not designed against intentional wrongdoing.
        Wondering when or if they will be. I mean, actually, the post 9/11 cockpit door actually was.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
          Wondering when or if they will be. I mean, actually, the post 9/11 cockpit door actually was.
          Cockpits are not designed against intentional wrongdoing INSIDE the cockpit.
          Fixed. If a mean or mad person wants to, and has unrestricted access to the controls, it is very easy to crash a plane with minimal knowledge, skills or training. 9/11 is a proof of that, where basically dummy pilots hand-flew planes into targets.

The same cockpit door that helps keeping the bad guys out of the cockpit, helps the bad guys to stay inside the cockpit. The question is what side of the door are the bad guys to begin with.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
            Fixed. If a mean or mad person wants to, and has unrestricted access to the controls, it is very easy to crash a plane with minimal knowledge, skills or training. 9/11 is a proof of that, where basically dummy pilots hand-flew planes into targets.

The same cockpit door that helps keeping the bad guys out of the cockpit, helps the bad guys to stay inside the cockpit. The question is what side of the door are the bad guys to begin with.

Indeed.

Someone needs to develop an I-phone app to address that!
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
            X