No announcement yet.

BREAKING: EgyptAir flight from Paris to Cairo has disappeared from radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow... if that proves to be true, there are going to be some huge impacts! Which I suppose probably goes without saying.

Some of the language in the article is pretty funny though:
    "...caught fire after being plugged into the wrong socket." Ah... so the guy plugged his stuff into the "catch fire" socket when he should have plugged it into the "do not catch fire" socket?

And...
    "Cockpit plugs are not made for toasters or coffee pots. " Noted... but in this case it doesn't sound like anyone plugged in a toaster or a coffee pot.
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• OK...but that's not particularly consistent with the supposed facts of a fairly sudden aircraft-disabling event.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• BEA press release

I'm not sure what this report is worth in terms of useful information, but it seems the Egyptian investigation is being very sphinx-like with the BEA.

In an effort to continue the safety investigation mission, the BEA asked to meet the Egyptian Attorney General. This took place at the end of May 2018. In this meeting, the Egyptian authorities explained that as it had been determined that there had been a malicious act, the investigation now fell within the sole jurisdiction of the judicial authorities.

The BEA’s Egyptian counterpart did not publish the final report which would have allowed the BEA to set out its differences of opinion as authorized by the international provisions.

The BEA considers that it is necessary to have this final report in order to have the possibility of understanding the cause of the accident and to provide the aviation community with the safety lessons which could prevent future accidents.

As mentioned above, the BEA considers that the most likely hypothesis is the rapid spread of a fire and would like investigations into this hypothesis to be continued in the interests of aviation safety.

The BEA is ready to continue its collaboration with its Egyptian counterpart should the latter restart the safety investigation into this accident.
        My take: The BEA thinks this was a fire caused by some unsafe condition or failure and is intent on having that risk revealed so that steps can be taken to prevent another fire. The Egyptians want to call it terrorism and be done with it.

My concern: There are probably still many jets flying without the recommending wiring, insulation and CB upgrades that came about as a result of the Swiss Air 111. A conclusion that this was a likely cause of fire would hopefully make those recommendations into requirements. The Egyptians are standing in the way of this.

My recommendation: Threaten to ban all flights operating under Egyptian authority from entering European airspace unless they begin cooperating with the BEA's requests. At the very least, this should get them downgraded to Category 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
          My recommendation: Threaten to ban all flights operating under Egyptian authority from entering European airspace unless they begin cooperating with the BEA's requests. At the very least, this should get them downgraded to Category 2.
          Noted.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
            Noted.
            You disagree?

Comment

Working...
            X