UPDATED from AV Herald:

00:26Z 3044 ANTI ICE R WINDOW
    00:26Z 561200 R SLIDING WINDOW SENSOR
    00:26Z 2600 SMOKE LAVATORY SMOKE
    00:27Z 2600 AVIONICS SMOKE
    00:28Z 561100 R FIXED WINDOW SENSOR
    00:29Z 2200 AUTO FLT FCU 2 FAULT
    00:29Z 2700 F/CTL SEC 3 FAULT

I guessed wrong about the Flight Controls Unit 2 Fault - it is AUTO FLT FCU 2 FAULT. That is a single channel fault and is fault passive, so it has no cockpit action and no effect on the autoflight.

Right side window heat failure and sensor alerts? Loss of the windows? Electrical faults?
    Is this lavatory the one located above the avionics compartment?
    00:26Z 2600 SMOKE LAVATORY SMOKE
    00:27Z 2600 AVIONICS SMOKE
    A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Embarassingly bad reporting by the New York TImes:

At 2:26 a.m., a message indicated that the right cockpit window had been opened.

The last message had to do with the spoiler elevator controller, which essentially controls the flaps responsible for pitch and roll control. The computer controlling these failed as well.
      At 2:26 a.m., a message indicated that both the right fixed cockpit window and the right sliding cockpit window had a sensor fault.

The last message had to do with the spoiler elevator computer, one of three fully redundant computers that control some of the flight surfaces responsible for roll control and provides a back-up for pitch. One of these computers failed as well.

Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        Embarassingly bad reporting by the New York TImes:

At 2:26 a.m., a message indicated that both the right fixed cockpit window and the right sliding cockpit window had a sensor fault.

The last message had to do with the spoiler elevator computer, one of three fully redundant computers that control some of the flight surfaces responsible for roll control and provides a back-up for pitch. One of these computers failed as well.

Fixed.
        Oh my...
        AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
        the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

In case you haven't seen this yet

the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Has the cargo manifest been released?

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
              Has the cargo manifest been released?
              Unconfirmed but it would seem no other cargo other than pax luggage.

Comment

First photos coming in

Comment

Originally posted by James Bond View Post
                  In case you haven't seen this yet
                  AHA! The WINDOW SENSOR faults are coming from the WHC (Window Heating Computer). There are two independent WHC's and the one controlling the R hand side (WHC 2) is on the DC2 bus, along with FCU 2 and SEC 2 + 3.

This is a failure of the window heat sensors. It has nothing to do with OPENING THE WINDOW!

I'm almost completely convinced now that the R ANTI ICE and R WINDOW SENSOR faults are due a fault (or partial fault) of the DC2 bus and have nothing to do with the windows themselves.

An avionics electrical fire would explain that. Every fault on the ACARS list involves the DC 2 bus.

Comment

Comment

This may or of course may not be relevant, but I was recently reading the NTSB report on ValuJet 592 and it contains a lot of discussion about ways of dealing with smoke in the cabin and cockpit. One of the points they make is that Douglas had done studies on the DC-9 (and yes I know the a/c in this accident was not a DC-9) and found opening a cockpit window (after depressurizing the aircraft) to be an effective way of clearing smoke in the cockpit (http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/AAR9706.pdf, page 50 and others).
                      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                        This may or of course may not be relevant, but I was recently reading the NTSB report on ValuJet 592 and it contains a lot of discussion about ways of dealing with smoke in the cabin and cockpit. One of the points they make is that Douglas had done studies on the DC-9 (and yes I know the a/c in this accident was not a DC-9) and found opening a cockpit window (after depressurizing the aircraft) to be an effective way of clearing smoke in the cockpit (http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/AAR9706.pdf, page 50 and others).
                        Perhaps someone can match the altitude of the plane with the acars message to add weight to the theory.
                        Is the avionics bay accessible from the fwd lav? (By lifting of floor panels or something)

Comment

Reports are saying the smoke alarms went off for about 3 minutes before the point of impact (or point of possible break up of the structure, just throwing that in there to cover every possibility). In the forward cabin toilet as has been mentioned I think.

Now that doesn't really necessarily mean the fire lasted 3 minutes but rather could have started much earlier and spread until it was eventually detected by that toilet sensor. To the point it was pretty much too late to do anything about at least in a sense that the plane could divert to Crete or another Greek island, or Turkey before it was rendered inoperable to fly. Or could the fire really have only lasted 3 minutes and done so much damage in such little time? Because obviously once it was detected action was taken to descend it seems.

I would think they would have smoke detectors/sensors in reasonable places that a fire commonly occurs, but just how many of them are there and exactly where are they on the A320. The lavatory is one of the common places for a fire so it makes sense there would be one there.

I am very tired, so I hope I make sense. And I am glad this seems to not be terrorism for once.

Comment

Originally posted by KGEG View Post
                            I would think they would have smoke detectors/sensors in reasonable places that a fire commonly occurs, but just how many of them are there and exactly where are they on the A320.
                            Lavs, avionics bay and cargo compartments. The main cabin and cockpit are covered by the human smoke detectors.

Comment

Oz media now citing an ATSB report from 2009 that showed concerns of the window sensor detector unit overheating in 12 Airbuses.

If the DC2 BUS did die because of this would all radios be disabled? I'm just thinking that if I were PNF I'd be getting a message out about smoke in the plane?

Comment

The main cabin and cockpit are covered by the human smoke detectors.
                                The problem with these detectors is that even when they do 'go off', ACARS isn't informed and ground/investigators don't know about it

Comment

Working...
                                X