Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 197

Thread: BREAKING: EgyptAir flight from Paris to Cairo has disappeared from radar

  1. #1
    Member ErezS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ra'anana, Israel
    Posts
    394

    Default BREAKING: EgyptAir flight from Paris to Cairo has disappeared from radar

    BREAKING: EgyptAir says flight from Paris to Cairo with 69 passengers and crew on board has disappeared from radar.

    https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...ms804/#9c0b766

    https://twitter.com/EGYPTAIR/status/733129477941788672

    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/0...031853365.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS804.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	6369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS804-b.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	6370  

  2. #2
    Member AVION1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ErezS View Post
    BREAKING: EgyptAir says flight from Paris to Cairo with 69 passengers and crew on board has disappeared from radar.

    https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...ms804/#9c0b766

    https://twitter.com/EGYPTAIR/status/733129477941788672

    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/0...031853365.html
    Too many terrorist groups operating in that part of the world, again....!!
    A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

  3. #3
    Member James Bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    4329'04.4"S 17231'30.7"E
    Posts
    405

    Default

    Last contact at FL370... not good.

    Edit: Coming in too fast. Something obviously not right there.
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

    Quote Originally Posted by orangehuggy View Post
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

  4. #4
    Member ErezS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ra'anana, Israel
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AVION1 View Post
    Too many terrorist groups operating in that part of the world, again....!!
    True, but we still don't know if this time it's a case of terror.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Spokane,Washington,USA [KGEG,KSFF,KSKA]
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ErezS View Post
    True, but we still don't know if this time it's a case of terror.
    Seems like it could have been timed to be precise though, it disappeared after flying in Egyptian airspace about only 10 miles. Could have been timed (whatever brought it down if it was intentional) to happen right upon entering Egyptian air space.

    I'm not saying I think it was terrorism or not terrorism, all I am is saying is it appears to me like that could be some sort of thing a terrorist would do, waiting until you hit a certain airspace and then doing the dirty deed.

    Of course, it could just as likely be purely coincidental and be data that isn't important in the end at all.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    41

    Default

    According to Greek ATC cited by French AFP press agency, radar contact with MS 804 was lost at 0029Z, and the aircraft, then in Egyptian airspace crashed in Egean Sea, 130NM away from Karpathos island.

  7. #7
    Member James Bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    4329'04.4"S 17231'30.7"E
    Posts
    405
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

    Quote Originally Posted by orangehuggy View Post
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

  8. #8
    Member James Bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    4329'04.4"S 17231'30.7"E
    Posts
    405

    Default

    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

    Quote Originally Posted by orangehuggy View Post
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

  9. #9
    Member ultraflight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    OSL
    Posts
    105

    Default

    What do you mean James Bond? The flightradar24 link doesn't give any info anymore. Why too fast? Edit: Seeing the image now. 534 kts groundspeed. Oops. Tailwind? Overspeed?
    Last edited by ultraflight; 05-19-2016 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Missed something.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    41

    Default

    According to greek aviation authorities, there has been no radio contact with the crew after the aircraft flew over Kea island - close to Athens.

    The aircraft left Greek airspace at 0026Z, but failed to answer to Greek ATC calls preceeding handover to Egyptian ATC. Greek ATC notified Egyptian ATC that communication couldn't be established. Radar contact was lost at 0029Z

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    220

    Default

    The BBC are quoting Greek defense minister that the plane dropped 22,000 feet and spun/swerved sharply, 90 degrees left then 360 degrees right before disappearing from radar.
    I'm guessing at that altitude it disappeared from radar because it was too low (closest radar station ~100 miles away?) rather than it, say, breaking up?

    Edit: BBC now quoting an 'aviation analyst' saying that those movements suggest an incident in the cockpit rather than 'a missile or device on board'.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    L.A.
    Posts
    6,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KGEG View Post
    Seems like it could have been timed to be precise though, it disappeared after flying in Egyptian airspace about only 10 miles. Could have been timed (whatever brought it down if it was intentional) to happen right upon entering Egyptian air space.

    I'm not saying I think it was terrorism or not terrorism, all I am is saying is it appears to me like that could be some sort of thing a terrorist would do, waiting until you hit a certain airspace and then doing the dirty deed.

    Of course, it could just as likely be purely coincidental and be data that isn't important in the end at all.
    Without access to the cockpit, how would someone in the cabin know exactly when the plane had been handed off the Egyptian ATC and was thus in Egyptian airspace, in the middle of the night, over the middle of the Mediterranean?

  13. #13
    Member Rick G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Delete comment

  14. #14
    Member Rick G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
    That is a meteor.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,322

    Default

    How close to TOD would this have been?

  16. #16
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    5,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leftseat86 View Post
    Without access to the cockpit, how would someone in the cabin know exactly when the plane had been handed off the Egyptian ATC and was thus in Egyptian airspace, in the middle of the night, over the middle of the Mediterranean?
    With a handheld GPS as those found in cellphones or tablets. Or map in the IFE.

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  17. #17
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    5,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    How close to TOD would this have been?
    Rule of thumb, if there are no ATC restrictions (that tend to make you descend earlier than needed), is altitude times 3/10 + 10 NM.
    370 ==> 111 NM ==> 121 NM

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  18. #18

  19. #19
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Rule of thumb, if there are no ATC restrictions (that tend to make you descend earlier than needed), is altitude times 3/10 + 10 NM.
    370 ==> 111 NM ==> 121 NM
    So... Roughly 10-15mins before starting descent if it was a standard approach?

  20. #20
    Member LH-B744's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    1 hr away from EDDL
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leftseat86 View Post
    Without access to the cockpit, how would someone in the cabin know exactly when the plane had been handed off the Egyptian ATC and was thus in Egyptian airspace, in the middle of the night, over the middle of the Mediterranean?
    Hm. Assumed that there is a pilot (PNF) in the cabin, who knows that route, then, after a look on his watch, he should be able to say the flight phase: which airspace is ahead, crz, tod, all that based on eta, et cetera... and all that although he doesn't sit in front of the cockpit instruments.

    Btw, FZ 981 is under investigation. Thus, here I also like to wait until something official is on the screen. Departure was deGaulle, so, the BEA sooner or later gives something to read for the jp members (in Europe)?
    Health is the most important thing in life.
    Not the matter if you are 18, 38 or 58 years old.

    Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •