BREAKING: EgyptAir flight from Paris to Cairo has disappeared from radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    Headline: "Plane did send out distress call" "Distress signal from EgyptAir flight 804 confirmed by authorities in Cairo and US."

Critical Sentence: A posting on Egypt’s State Information Service website said investigators had “received satellite reports indicating receiving an electronic distress call from the plane’s emergency locator transmitter (ELT)”. The co-ordinates were being used to narrow down the search area, the statement said.

Distress...we have encountered a rainstorm so severe that it's just 100% water, beginning around 0 feet MSL....Distress...we have suffered some structural failures.
    This must be why they opened the windows at cruise altitude. To call for help...

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      Headline: "Plane did send out distress call" "Distress signal from EgyptAir flight 804 confirmed by authorities in Cairo and US."

Critical Sentence: A posting on Egypt’s State Information Service website said investigators had “received satellite reports indicating receiving an electronic distress call from the plane’s emergency locator transmitter (ELT)”. The co-ordinates were being used to narrow down the search area, the statement said.

Distress...we have encountered a rainstorm so severe that it's just 100% water, beginning around 0 feet MSL....Distress...we have suffered some structural failures.
      I saw a similar media report and I have 2 hypothesis:

1- Manual activation of the ELT. It is very unlikely that the antenna of the ELT AND its wire would have remained electrically connected to the ELT throughout the crash sequence, AND that the ELT would have had time to send a signal before sinking (ELT signals cannot be detected by a satellite when the ELT antenna is under the water). But... other than the impact switch, the ELT have a manual switch in the cockpit, and a "sang froid" pilot may have had the presence of mind to manually activate it in the middle of the distress (I can't remember a case where they did, though). In that case, "sending out an electronic distress call" would be quite accurate indeed (although "signal" would have been better than "call").
      2- Media BS (and I don't mean Bachelor in Science).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• News is reporting that a pinger signal has been detected. Hopefully they can retrieve the boxes within a week.

Comment

• New reports claim that the airplane made emergency landings prior to its tragic flight: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...several-emerg/

Has it been determined if this claim is credible? Is it known what these ACARS messages were?

Comment

• Originally posted by scipio View Post
            Is it known what these ACARS messages were?
            Check post 66 in this thread

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Thank you, Gabriel. Yes, I saw that. Apologies that my question was ambiguous. I was wondering if the previous emergency landings had any ACARS associated with them. If not, is it known what were the reasons for the emergencies?

Comment

• Originally posted by scipio View Post
                Thank you, Gabriel. Yes, I saw that. Apologies that my question was ambiguous. I was wondering if the previous emergency landings had any ACARS associated with them. If not, is it known what were the reasons for the emergencies?
                When the Telegraph reports something that sensational and cites its source as "French media", you can be assured it is factually worthless. Returns are very expensive and hard on the aircraft so after three returns in 24 hours that plane would be taken out of service at least long enough to swap out some suspected equipment.

If it is true, a transient arcing event might trigger smoke detection and then leave no noticeable trace. But according to that report, each occurance happened shortly ater takeoff and we can tell from ACARS that this flight had no anomalies until whatever happened near TOD.

I think it's a hoax.

Comment

• Can pingers be knocked off the recorders in an accident? Mentioned in this story:
                  Accident investigators are to search the site where Egypt Air flight MS804 crashed into the Mediterranean. They face a tough task, says Richard Westcott.

Comment

• Originally posted by ultraflight View Post
                    Can pingers be knocked off the recorders in an accident? Mentioned in this story:
                    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36481749
                    Has happened, but they normally land close one from the other. If when you get the pinger you recover just the pinger, a sonar scan (as they are doing with MH) should quickly find more wreckage and the black boxes nearby.

Comment

• It's been quiet here lately, considering they'd found the pingers

Comment

• Originally posted by vaztr View Post
                        It's been quiet here lately, considering they'd found the pingers
                        They heard signals that seem to be from the pingers. A ship with the necessary scan and recovery equipment is arriving at the scene to actually find the recorders and retrieve them.
                        The detection of the signal of the pingers does not, by itself, help a lot in the investigation of the events that led to the accident.
                        But they found much more than the pingers. Bodies and debris. They can tell things. For example, with AF, we knew that the plane had crashed at a high vertical speed, low forward speed, slightly nose up and with the wings mostly level, 2 years before finding the recorders.

Comment

• You describe perfect the landing of AF447 but how can that be done without in a flat spin ? I was long time in doubt that an airbus could perform a flat spin from 31000 feet but now the evidence is lying in the Sianai desert.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thom View Post
                            You describe perfect the landing of AF447 but how can that be done without in a flat spin ? I was long time in doubt that an airbus could perform a flat spin from 31000 feet but now the evidence is lying in the Sianai desert.
                            AF447 was a stall from 38000 ft all the way to the Atlantic Ocean near Brazil. No spin (flat or otherwise), no 31000 ft, no Sinai desert, so I am not sure what you are talking about.

The attitude and speed vector of the AF crash I mentioned above was deducted analyzing the damage pattern in the parts that were found floating in the ocean.

Comment

• The NTSB will be joining the investigation (IAE V2500's). Both ships are now operating on site and there is still a minimum of ten days of pinger battery assuming they are functional.

Comment

• Reports coming in that one ship has located the wreckage of the plane in several different spots

A deep sea vessel searching for EgyptAir flight MS804 has found the crashed passenger jet, Egypt's investigation committee says.

Comment

Working...
                                X