Emirates 777 crash-landed in Dubai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hongmng View Post
    "Check gear down" is normal in the USA for ATC to tell military aircraft as they are cleared to land. Not sure if it's part of a normal procedure for civilian aircraft in Dubai.

If there was a known fault with the gear, wouldn't the go around have been much earlier?

On a slightly unrelated note, this video of an Emirates 777 shows gear retraction very late into the go around.

Salute and condolences to the firefighter who died.

No ground prox computer?

Comment

Emirates CEO has confirmed that a firefighter who responded has died following the fire.

I'm actually really angry about this...
      AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
      the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

Originally posted by James Bond View Post
        There are videos from inside a/c of people trying to get their CO luggage out, and of pax walking away from a/c many with roller bags etc.

I've harped on this before but it really pisses me off this behavior. And I say again, in a situation like that if I were ever to be in it - and there is someone between me (or others) and the door - who is not evacing but instead dicking with their roller bag and overhead bin, I WILL climb crawl whatever necessary over them and walk right over them to exit.

Their roller bag vs. My life. My life wins that argument every time, as does that of those behind me. So either get out, get out of the way, or be prepared to go down. If the plane blows up (as this one partially did) after we walk over you, and you are stuck - well thats your problem.

Talk to the roller bag you so desperately needed.

{this is in response to the comment about those getting luggage and not getting out - and NOT a remark towards or directed at James Bond in any way}

Comment

The aviation herald article states the final resting spot at the END of the runway. This is unusual for a gear collapse/hard landing incident, in which the aircraft skids to a stop very quickly.

The fact that it ended up so far down the runway makes me believe maybe they were airborne for a time after commencing the failed go around.

Comment

Originally posted by obmot View Post
            There are videos from inside a/c of people trying to get their CO luggage out, and of pax walking away from a/c many with roller bags etc.

I've harped on this before but it really pisses me off this behavior. And I say again, in a situation like that if I were ever to be in it - and there is someone between me (or others) and the door - who is not evacing but instead dicking with their roller bag and overhead bin, I WILL climb crawl whatever necessary over them and walk right over them to exit.

Their roller bag vs. My life. My life wins that argument every time, as does that of those behind me. So either get out, get out of the way, or be prepared to go down. If the plane blows up (as this one partially did) after we walk over you, and you are stuck - well thats your problem.

Talk to the roller bag you so desperately needed.

{this is in response to the comment about those getting luggage and not getting out - and NOT a remark towards or directed at James Bond in any way}
            Fully agree with this. That's why I'm angry - The firefighter that died might have been placed in unnecessary danger by the pax taking their time with their luggage

Officials paid tribute to the man's 'ultimate sacrifice' - after it emerged all 282 passengers and 18 crew members escaped from the incident alive

the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

The aviation herald article states the final resting spot at the END of the runway. This is unusual for a gear collapse/hard landing incident, in which the aircraft skids to a stop very quickly.

The fact that it ended up so far down the runway makes me believe maybe they were airborne for a time after commencing the failed go around.
              This is also what I'm thinking. A hard landing, a bounce, a failed go-around attempt, a second hard landing and subsequent gear collapse. Pure speculation of course.

Comment

If this turns out to be gear retraction before positive rate, it reminds me of this AirCal crash.
                Is an en wiki entry always a guarantee for a serious incident? Well, at least there has happened something.
                What en wiki knows about EK flight 521.

I don't see another discussion about "survivable: yes or no". 300 people were on board and all survived.
                You assume "gear retraction without a positive rate". That makes me wonder. It seems to be instinctively wrong, doesn't it?

Quotations:
                1) "No emergency declared" during (first) approach. [en wikipedia]
                2) "air traffic controllers told them to abandon the landing and start climbing again, for unknown reasons" [BBC]

I am not a jp member who can say very much about procedures in a B773.
                But #2) leaves me with alot of questions. I have heard that, in a Boeing, there is a defined moment when the gear must be lowered. Thus, the ATC requested "go around" beyond that moment? At this moment, I join the speculation.
                Apparently, there was very little time between the "go around" and the (first) contact with the rwy/runway.

Here at my home airport I have watched uncounted departures, sometimes with the question in mind, "do all pilots 'lift their feet' at the same time?". Imho, it takes several seconds
                - until they've reached a certain altitude? -
                before the gear is retracted.

So, why do I see a triple7 without gear [BBC]?
                Here my speculation ends.
                Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-08-04, 21:44. Reason: Instinct.
                The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                  I have heard that, in a Boeing, there is a defined moment when the gear must be lowered...
                  As opposed to other aircraft, wherein such moment is UNdefined...

Comment

Originally posted by James Bond View Post
                    Glad everyone is safe. I once had an interesting experience on a QF 747 where the gear collapsed while we were queuing for takeoff... at FCO.

It's not showing up on ASN but here it is.

I would be interested to know the Registration number of that particular a/c.
                    Found it, it was VH-EBW

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                      As opposed to other aircraft, wherein such moment is UNdefined...
                      I only wanted to point out that I've heard of 1 type of Boeing that provides a cockpit that almost makes you shiver when the gear is not lowered in the right moment:
                      B744.

I don't know much about B773 or Airbus. Do you?

Apparently, we really talk about g/a, ground contact included. But why was there a necessity to order "go around" for a heavy bird like a 777 in such a late moment?
                      A heavy Boeing is not as 'spontaneous' as ... a propeller Cessna without retractable gear, imho.

PS: Only a thought... OMDB can be compared with my home airport: intercontinental air traffic on 2 rwys.
                      The difference: down there, they handle... clearly more than 78 million pax in 1 year?!?!
                      Is that possible with only 2 runways? Was the Dubai 12L simply full ("leave the rwy") when the 773 was forced to g/a?
                      --
                      I don't know much about Dubai. There are 333-pilots who know more... Is it a crowded airport?
                      Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-08-04, 22:59. Reason: Reasons...
                      The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                      This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                        I only wanted to point out that I've heard of 1 type of Boeing that provides a cockpit that almost makes you shiver when the gear is not lowered in the right moment:
                        B744.
                        What?

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                          What?

B744.

Double what? Funny I did two landings today, one HKG to ICN and one in ANC. I didn't shiver on either one! Oh maybe because it was in a 747-8!

Comment

it makes my blood boil when i see a picture of a burning aircraft...with people very possibly dying......and there....leaving it...are people pulling their bags as though they are about to get on an escalator.
                            it SHOULD be a criminal offence to take your bag with you when there is an emergency evacuation of an airliner.....ok a handbag....maybe even a small rucksack that has your pc/passport/house keys...i could be persuaded on these.....but NOT a small hard-case with wheels
                            its a blatant disregard for other humans...selfish inconsiderate disgraceful.

in fact...i think it should be real handluggage only in the cabin.....a handbag or a small rucksack.....every single flight i go on there is always a total faff because theres not enough room for everybodies roll bags.

Comment

Originally posted by andyb99 View Post
                              it makes my blood boil when i see a picture of a burning aircraft...with people very possibly dying......and there....leaving it...are people pulling their bags as though they are about to get on an escalator.
                              it SHOULD be a criminal offence to take your bag with you when there is an emergency evacuation of an airliner.....ok a handbag....maybe even a small rucksack that has your pc/passport/house keys...i could be persuaded on these.....but NOT a small hard-case with wheels
                              its a blatant disregard for other humans...selfish inconsiderate disgraceful.

in fact...i think it should be real handluggage only in the cabin.....a handbag or a small rucksack.....every single flight i go on there is always a total faff because theres not enough room for everybodies roll bags.
                              Oh how I so agree with you. I've been on flights where some of the so called hand baggage has been bigger than my bag that's in the hold. I once offered to help a woman to get her bag into the locker. Now, I'm 6 feet tall, built like a brick shithouse.....and I had trouble lifting it. The stewardess saw me struggling, took one look and told the passenger that the bag was too heavy and it would have to go into the hold. The passenger went totally apeshit.....and blamed ME for the problem !
                              When it comes to an emergency evacuation, if you screw around in front of me getting a bag out then expect to get my footprints all over you !
                              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                                ...3WE... Ready ?...
                                Not really ready...strange one here as it sounds like a perfectly good plane was bent in other-than-extreme weather.

The firefighter death is also strange...everyone got off the plane, but some poor soul (supposedly with very good training that making yourself a victim usually spreads the rescuer resources even more thinly) became a victim.

I do recall a very recent discussion where an amateur outsider said "go arounds were no big deal" and an experienced insider expert said, "not when you look at the stats" (I'm paraphrasing, of course and also guilty of thinking "no big deal" myself).

Said discussion may wind up being somewhat prophetic.

As I follow this discussion thread, I also see plain-language and acronym-and procedure-laden discussions of the concept that you shouldn't retract the gear too quickly...Indeed, wheels are potentially useful if you sag a bit too low to the ground.
                                Last edited by 3WE; 2016-08-05, 14:17. Reason: Reasons
                                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
                                X