Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulley the Movie

Anyone seen this movie yet?
    I understand it includes lots of "intrigue" and "events" invented by the screenwriters. I will wait to see it when it turns up on TV.

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
    Anyone seen this movie yet?
    I understand it includes lots of "intrigue" and "events" invented by the screenwriters. I will wait to see it when it turns up on TV.
    No I haven't. I haven't been present at the Telluride Film Festival.
    The average US cineaste unfortunately has to wait until September 09th.

And you don't better ask me...
    The average German cineaste unfortunately has to wait until ... the end of the year? That's awful.

Is this an invitation? Book a transatlantic flight, and you'll be able to watch the Sully* movie already in autumn...!

*In contrast to his name, they don't use an 'e' between the 'l' and the 'y'.. Ask me why, I don't know.

PS: Sully the movie is on my list for 2016. I don't go to the movies that often, but this one seems to be worth it.
    Director: Clint Eastwood
    Producer: Clint Eastwood
    Leading actor: Tom Hanks --- as Captain Chesley Sullenberger.
    Without further comment.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-09-06, 21:16. Reason: director and producer...
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

I saw it today. It's a good movie, even with the usual liberties taken by the writers. They make the NTSB into the "bad buy" (all movies need a villain I guess) by aggressively going for pilot error, which of course we know was total bunk, but that's what creates the drama. That said, I'm sure they did actively consider pilot error (heck, they consider almost everything during an investigation, its their job), but I doubt they went at it as they did in the movie. They have to look at everything regardless. The movie also greatly consolidates and speeds up the NTSB investigation, but that's just a time constraint. We all know such investigations take far more than a few weeks to a month or two.

There were some aviation errors (fairly minor compared to how wrong most movies get aviation) such as 737's with the split scimitar winglets.

For an early showing today, it was pretty full. Much of the audience clapped when the movie ended. I definitely recommend seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
        [...] We all know such investigations take far more than a few weeks to a month or two.

There were some aviation errors (fairly minor compared to how wrong most movies get aviation) such as 737's with the split scimitar winglets.

For an early showing today, it was pretty full. Much of the audience clapped when the movie ended. I definitely recommend seeing it.
        Is highkeas not available this weekend so that he could order the deletion of the 'e' in Sulley? Sometimes, corrections in the topic title take place also without the help of the author. But it doesn't work every day..

And I'd appreciate two or three tags, too, e.g.
        'Sullenberger', 'movie', 'Sully' ? - done.

Recommend? Yes, +1 , without having seen it. Why? Because Sullenberger is a living prototype in aviation, surely not only for me.

And in #2, I sound like this movie is shown on board... I can't confirm that. What I meant is, go west (transatlantic) and there, the cinemas show it.

The average German cineaste has to wait until the end of the year... And even the [English] book can't be purchased today, in Germany? What the.... ?
        Can't somebody put a ton (2,200 lb) of these books into the next 747 to Germany?!
        Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-09-22, 23:05. Reason: Book transporter.

Comment

Sully the Movie, tickets available in every German theatre, not before December 1st, 2016.

Sometimes I really regret to be born, raised in Germany! And I still live here.

Comment

Available in German theatres since 12 days, finally!

I had seen the box-office results worldwide long before I was able to watch 'Sully' (the movie), the German version:
            Sully Box Office Results

For Germany, the page has been updated on December 4th. That was before I saw the film, so, my ticket has not yet been counted. But there is a clear result.
            Australia, Italy, France and Spain LOVE the film.

I love the film, too, but if I knew that 'Sully' was available in many many German theatres in the Original Version (OV) until December 7th, I'd have used the first weekend for this film. Tom Hanks with his original voice is not replaceable.
            The German version even goes that far to translate the GPWS into German! So, I as a German native speaker was thinking during the first half of the film, what does that a/c wanna tell me?! 'Hindernis', 'zu niedrig', et cetera, instead of 'too low', 'pull up', ...

Very strange German version. But if you evaluate the movie by content, by the main actor (T. Hanks), by director (C. Eastwood), by producer (C. Eastwood) and by Best Makeup and Hairstyling,

I clearly have to tag 'Sully the Movie' with at least one golden star of excellence, for Tom Hanks. Since the first second of the film, I believed that Hanks is Sullenberger.
            And that has to be rewarded.

In Germany, you still have the chance to watch the film on a bigger screen. But let me give you 1 hint, this is also a brilliant New York movie, so if you can, choose
            the biggest screen available.
            The A320 does not fit on every screen in 100% of its size, but imho, that'd be perfect...

'155, did you count that again? - Yes, 155.' Even Sullenberger, with a heart that normally does not beat more often than 50 times in a minute, theoretically must've jumped out of his sox with this result. But he stays calm, as always. He only stretches his tie a little bit.

Golden.
            Last edited by LH-B744; 2016-12-13, 22:41. Reason: I've not yet seen the OV, but I try to retranslate...

Comment

I haven't seen this movie bur I adore Tom Hanks and will watch it tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.
              WordPress Photo Gallery -Responsive Slider

Comment

Originally posted by MarieVR View Post
                I haven't seen this movie bur I adore Tom Hanks and will watch it tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.
                Not at all. Are you one of only ... 3 or 4 women who became a jetphotos member since I am here? It really seems like a cliche, but there must be at least one very little piece of truth in it: aviation still is a man's business.
                I can even show you an evidence for that. LH owns how many 747s. Thirteen B744 plus nineteen B748i, so all in all 32 LH 747s are in the air tonight.

And how many female LH 747 pilots appeared in German TV until today. As far as I know only 1, and I even remember her first name. Men are craze. 1 female LH 747 pilot in... approx at least 200 male LH 747 pilots as of today. But that's only a rough guess by an insider. Ask the LH CEO if you need the exact numbers.

Welcome to jetphotos.

PS: I originally came here to the offtopic section not because of Sully (until today nobody deleted the 'e' which does not belong there in the topic name... tze). But this is what women are good for... They show you men who they adore and you forget what you originally tried to write. Tom Hanks.
                Ah. If he were a good actor he'd received an Academy Award for Sully. And he is... old, isn't he.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
                  ***They make the NTSB into the "bad buy" (all movies need a villain I guess) by aggressively going for pilot error, which of course we know was total bunk, but that's what creates the drama.***
                  AND, Tom Hanks and his copilot (although they have nightmares) are extremely confident they did everything perfect.

One should watch the movie- there are worse ones out there, but I sort of didn't like it.

As 737 calls it, that's pretty much the movie- The NTSB and whole world are out to burn Tom Hanks because simulations show he could have landed...very black and white. But he boldly fights back to pull it out of his rear that he is entitled to spend 30 seconds just flying the damn plane and calmly consulting the FCOM (per Evan's decrees) before ever considering a power-off landing...
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Very nice movie and acting by all, liked how F / A remained composed no drama by passengers, well made.

Comment

Working...
                    X