Thread: Image Stabilization - necessary or not?

Default Image Stabilization - necessary or not?

Hi, I previously had a Canon 70-200 IS USM but no longer have it. I'm looking for a new lens, and as I'm quite tight on money I'm currently choosing between an EF-S 55-250 or an EF 75-300 USM. Now my question is: is Image Stabilization necessary for aviation photography? The 75-300 doesn't have IS and I'm wondering on whether that would be an issue. I have slightly shaky hands and shoot mostly on max focal length. Thanks in advance.

From someone who uses the 55-250, get it, get it immediately, do not trust the online reviews of the lens. It is fantastic and beautifully sharp!

Hi
    95% of my photos on JP are with 55-250 Canon IS EFS (stabilized). It is not the maximum at maximum focal length, too soft, but if you do not have too many needs it's just fine.
    My brother, due to the failure of his Canon 70-300, bought the new version with about 350 euros (395.38 USD). If you want I can give you the link in private.

1,In my opinion,IS is very important.
    2,EF55-250 must buy STM version,Much better than the original.

My vote for 55-250. A life-saver for everybody tight on their budget and the quality is unquestionable! All of my photos are taken with this lens.

Once you go IS, you will find it pretty much useful in normal light situations where you want to assure your results. In low light or creative photos, IS can be turned off. You can still use a decent 70-200 L non IS and you also get good results saving some money too