Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dear date cheaters....

Administrator Alex - Spot-This !'s Avatar

Exclamation Dear date cheaters....

Important notice : If you're an honest photographer looking to share your pics without feeling the need to cheat the view numbers with wrong dates this thread is not for you

for the others, this is a very important reminder:

Lately we have seen a huge increase of people cheating the dates just to get more via FR24. This attitude not only corrupts the database of JP and FR24 but it's also cheating the whole community
    with artificial high view numbers. And add the fact that it takes a big time to the crew to take care of it, checking the Exif, deleting the pics, sending personnel emails and so on... all precious time that
    we would have loved to use to screen and reduce the queue...

For those reasons, wrong dates pics will be deleted without warning. Upload slots will also be reduced.
    Any repeated offence will result in a permanent ban and deletion of the account.
    Alex
    Last edited by justtosim; 09-28-2016 at 02:31 PM.

A very good point Alex!

But......doesn't the screening system automatically check the EXIF data for dates?

Every uploader makes from time-to-time the mistake to enter a wrong date, without the intention to corrupt the system.
    Do you guys recognise the difference between a mistake or an offence?

Regards

Freek

Hi Freek,
    Don't worry, we're not talking about the occasional mistake but people who keep cheating on pretty much all their uploads, changing dates after they get accepted (which goes around our Exif screening check) mainly...

cheers
    Alex

Up...

AGAIN we have many cases of cheating.... Dealing with those takes a huge amount of time, time we should be using for screening...

Did the team also looks to uploaders who linking al the times on FB for reaching top 4 shots?

Yes we do. But to a certain point we can't do much about that.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Okay, that's good news...saw some guys who's reaching top 4 everytime and always the same uploaders!

Who are those uploaders. Maybe we can check.

Erwin

Fablee and Andre Giam

I should be good to lock the shot-date when or after acceptance. Unlock only by the administrator if mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Nito View Post
    I should be good to lock the shot-date when or after acceptance. Unlock only by the administrator if mistaken.
    I actually like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ErwinS View Post
    Yes we do. But to a certain point we can't do much about that.
    BTW, in the section Photo of the Week & Editor's Choice Photos at the main page, small thumbnails (2nd and 3rd place?) seems stick for the same two photos since end of the summer at least. Is it a bug or it's something intended by design?

Photo id 8384131 was taken on the 3rd of Sept 2016 at Changi Beach in SIngapore. I have my photos and exifs to prove this. Cheating is a serious allegation and needs to be proven. Do not make such allegations without proof.

Quote Originally Posted by fablee View Post
    Photo id 8384131 was taken on the 3rd of Sept 2016 at Changi Beach in SIngapore. I have my photos and exifs to prove this. Cheating is a serious allegation and needs to be proven. Do not make such allegations without proof.
    The EXIF matches this date. Barcajax, please check before making accusations.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Quote Originally Posted by fablee View Post
    The complaint wasnt the date. But that you have a dedicated fb page to link your shots and share them at other groups. So to get high viewnumbers.

Erwin

Indeed Erwin, that's the point...he links on a lot facebook groups to get a top 4 everytime

Indeed I do have a Facebook page where I share All my aviation photographs including those I upload to Jetphotos. I do share All of my photos on FB groups including those I upload to Jetphotos. The general intent is to share with everyone including those that do not visit Jetphotos. I joined Jetphotos more then ten years ago out of the same intent to share in a then Facebookless era. In this time and age, I dont think this practice of sharing photos on FB is manifestly rare or criminal.

Personally I find it ludicrous to label the practice of sharing my JP photos on Facebook as cheating.

However if Jetphotos introduces an official policy against a JP photographer sharing his JP photos on FB , I will be more than happy to toe the line. I will then share only those photos I do not upload to JP.

I would remind my accusers to think twice before labelling anyone as cheating or a cheat in their daily living.

The thread is about date cheaters and, rightly, what can be done to discourage them. It will be quite common for people to share their photos across many different platforms and that can give the effect of seeming to artificially inflate the views. My understanding is that this is not actually against the rules. I personally am not a huge fan of this as I would like the top photos to be photos that I look at and wonder how the heck the photographer managed to pull that shot off, but this is a personal preference only. As photographers uploading to a site that is mostly run by hard working volunteers, we should show some respect and not always be in a rush to be on the front page at the expense of others more deserving. Sometimes I see my photos creeping up onto the first page and this appears to be because the photo went very quickly onto FR24, usually it's Lufthansa, so this possibly artificially inflates the views. It's nice to be one of the top shots, luckily it's happened once or twice for me, no big deal if it's not. There has been talk before of removing the views, but I would still like to have an easy way to identify the really good new photos and these always make it to the top. As long as the rules are followed, the problems might be worth living with.

Without meaning to offend anyone, I wouldn't like to be named and shamed publicly. If there is an issue then maybe a private email involving those concerned would be more appropriate.

Without meaning to offend anyone, I wouldn't like to be named and shamed publicly. If there is an issue then maybe a private email involving those concerned would be more appropriate.
    Possibly the most sensible comment in this thread yet.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !