Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F.A.O.: Boeing Bobby- Penetrating red radar returns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.A.O.: Boeing Bobby- Penetrating red radar returns.

I don't know if they are red or not, just a parlour-talk assumption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msFUt4IcqRI

Also, some important technical notes: As opposed to a small violent thunderstorm, this is of a much more tropical nature, with somewhat organized, consistent winds (as opposed to highly gusty winds with extreme updrafts and down drafts) and minimal hail, and none of that crazy Western US crazy dry-line/high-base behavior.

No significant message to Bobby, other than "enjoy".
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    I don't know if they are red or not, just a parlour-talk assumption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msFUt4IcqRI

Also, some important technical notes: As opposed to a small violent thunderstorm, this is of a much more tropical nature, with somewhat organized, consistent winds (as opposed to highly gusty winds with extreme updrafts and down drafts) and minimal hail, and none of that crazy Western US crazy dry-line/high-base behavior.

No significant message to Bobby, other than "enjoy".

I have seen this before, and of course it has shown on T.V. here the last couple of days. That is a Lockheed P-3 Orion and is built like a brick outhouse. I might have done that 30 years ago, but I am way to old to get my guts tossed about like that anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      I have seen this before, and of course it has shown on T.V. here the last couple of days. That is a Lockheed P-3 Orion and is built like a brick outhouse. I might have done that 30 years ago, but I am way to old to get my guts tossed about like that anymore.
      10 to 20 years ago, a film was made with much better photography...(Nat Geo thing)

There were side views of the wing and engines, some pilot commentary, including wind speeds, better shots out the front, and the eye wall transition was maybe 15? seconds from extreme rain and very lively turbulence to predominately clear, smooth, open sky.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I saw it. Beautiful (from the coach)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
          That is a Lockheed P-3 Orion and is built like a brick outhouse.
          Orion, a/k/a the Lockheed Electra, which the parlour-talking public refused to fly on because it was "dangerous".
          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
            Orion, a/k/a the Lockheed Electra, which the parlour-talking public refused to fly on because it was "dangerous".
            Not really the same aircraft, many structural beef ups on the P-3

Comment

There's nothing like in-flight-structural-break-up-within-18-months to get a bad reputation.

Comment

There's nothing like in-flight-structural-break-up-within-18-months to get a bad reputation.
                Second time's the charm.

Comment

Oh phooey. All the great planes self-destruct from time to time... the 707*, the DC-10...

* I'm talking about BOAC 911... maybe the plane was provoked, but it *did* break up in mid-air.

Eric Law

Comment

Oh phooey. All the great planes self-destruct from time to time...
                    When you have a harmonic problem with the engine mounts and a overly stiff wing design and two midair structural failures plus the wind tunnel to back you up, that's not all planes. That's not even a good plane with a bad cargo door latch. That's a bad basic design. The reason the Electras kept flying is that Lockheed retrofitted every one, taking a month on each plane, to strengthen the airframe and remove the harmonic issue. The P3 was a very revised airframe, designed to accomodate hardpoints and built for endurance over speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                      When you have a harmonic problem with the engine mounts and a overly stiff wing design and two midair structural failures plus the wind tunnel to back you up, that's not all planes. That's not even a good plane with a bad cargo door latch. That's a bad basic design...
                      But... but... but... what about all the scientific engineering that went into this... so infallible that briefly selecting a known power and pitch shall be flushed from pilot brains by improved black and white procedural training with no reference to fundamentals...[zombie voice, "UAS, wait 4 minutes.... UAS, wait four minutes"] because common pitch and power settings have nothing to do with UAS.

Comment

The Delta Airlines flight managed to take off during the storm on 6 September. The story of the flight went viral, with airline researcher Jason Rabinowitz tracking the plane as it landed in Puerto Rico, had a rapid turnaround of 52 minutes, and then took off once again to return to New York through the hurricane.

Where do we draw the line here?

Good possibility they encountered ordinary rainshowers...maybe heavy rainshowers...but used radar to avoid red stuff, and I'm sure the winds at takeoff were legal, and hurricanes are not Texas dry air rotating hail and tornado spewing and L-1011 stalling storms (well, ok, I guess they rotate, but there's some stability in the winds and maybe a little less extreme vertical compenent...they don't routinely eat P-3 orions (probably mentioned above).

CONVERSELY

Does operating near a major hurricane increase risks (define 'increase').

Comment

Does operating near a major hurricane increase risks (define 'increase').
                          Define "near".

Eric Law

Comment

Define "near".
                            Within gusty winds and moderate precipitation directly associated with the storm...so there

Comment

Define "near".

It is done all the time. I have been in and out of HKG at least a dozen times just before and after a Typhoon.

Comment

Working...
                              X