Bob Hoover flies West.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Hoover flies West.

My brain says that this thread should be in the Aviation forum, but my hart tells me that it belongs here.

Robert A. "Bob" Hoover...
    ... WWII fighter pilot...
    ... POW in a German camp...
    ... Escaped stealing an Fw190...
    ... USAF test pilot...
    ... aerobatic genius...
    ... performing in airshows with a P-51 Mustang and...
    ... an Aero Commander???? ...
    ... with the engines shut down???? ...
    ... died today ....
    ... NOT "doing what he loves" (as if crashing was what pilots love to do)...
    ... at 94 years old.

Way to go Bob. You will be missed.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

I dread to think what aerobatic stunts the other angels will start pulling once he arrives up there !

RIP Bob.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        My brain says that this thread should be in the Aviation forum, but my hart tells me that it belongs here.

Robert A. "Bob" Hoover...
        Just loco enough to be made honarary Argentinian.

Comment

I've got to disagree on that one.

Besides having crazy stick-and-rudder skills, Hoover made an art of knowing his and the aircraft's limitations, and staying within them at all times*. To me that's just about the opposite of "loco".

* In spite of doing a lot of things that *appeared* to be completely crazy.
          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post

Besides having crazy stick-and-rudder skills, Hoover made an art of knowing his and the aircraft's limitations, and staying within them at all times*. To me that's just about the opposite of "loco".

I think that two loops, a barrel roll, a landing and coasting to a stop at a precise, predetermined point did indeed require a ton of situational awareness and fundamental airmanship skills and attention to natural laws and limitations.

Of course, I think that numerous black and white, scientifically-determined, engineer limitations and procedures were often violated.

Even the FAA tried to throw the black and white mentality / written law book at him for a few years.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post

That applies very much for the last part of his career, as an aerobatic airshow pilot.

When you are a fighter pilot or a bomber pilot (especially in the times of the WW2 and Korea war), it takes a dose of chance not to get killed. Bullets and other type of AA devices are outside your and your plane's limitations.

When he stole the Fw190, I doubt very much that he was familiar with the POH and limitations of that plane.

When he was a test pilot, he didn't know the limitations of the plane he was being paid to find the limitations of. (is that even a sentence in English?)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                When he was a test pilot, he didn't know the limitations of the plane he was being paid to find the limitations of. (is that even a sentence in English?)
                Yes, but you ended it with a preposition. Bad Gabriel! Bad!

Comment

Working...
                X