Same airline different flight numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same airline different flight numbers

I am travelling with China Eastern from Dunhuang to Xi'an then connecting two hours later to a flight to Beijing. I have two flight numbers, but upon arrival at the airport MU have also given one flight number to correspond with my first flight and second flight, the same for a flight to Shanghai, but in both instances it is not the same plane from Dunhuang to Xi'an that continues to Beijing or Shanghai, and passengers must collect their luggage and recheck-in at Xi'an regardless of which flight number their ticket says. I guess they do this to simplify things, but is this common practice anywhere else?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6978[1].JPG
Views:	1
Size:	622.8 KB
ID:	1044877

Originally posted by rich7271 View Post
    I am travelling with China Eastern from Dunhuang to Xi'an then connecting two hours later to a flight to Beijing. I have two flight numbers, but upon arrival at the airport MU have also given one flight number to correspond with my first flight and second flight, the same for a flight to Shanghai, but in both instances it is not the same plane from Dunhuang to Xi'an that continues to Beijing or Shanghai, and passengers must collect their luggage and recheck-in at Xi'an regardless of which flight number their ticket says. I guess they do this to simplify things, but is this common practice anywhere else?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6844[/ATTACH]
    Well, some low cost airlines like Ryanair will not sell you a ticket with combinations of flights. For example, if you need to go from A to B and there are no direct flights, you may do it via C, but then they will sell you 2 separate tickets, A to C and C to B. You will need to pick up your luggage and re-check it, as well as do a check-in for each flight. Also, if the first flight is delayed and you miss the second one... I'm sorry. Since the flights are in separate tickets, they don't care how you arrived to the second flight, if it was in another flight of the same company, of another company, by bus or bicycle.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I have had experience of the same flight number on 'through' flights, yet involving an equipment change. This used to happen fairly often on American carriers, usually starting/ending with international flights, then to/from a domestic destination. I don't know if it happens now much (I don't think so), but 15/20/25 years ago the likes of United, American, even TWA, would do this. As an example, United might fly from London to New York continuing on to Denver, with an aircraft change in New York, on the same flight number.

Comment

My recent experience includes two different trips from ATL to STL on Mexicana and AirFrance...

I only knew that because of some extra data flashed on the gate displays, the planes sure looked a lot more like a US Legacy Carrier with a triangle in their livery.
        Les rčgles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
          Mthe planes sure looked a lot more like a US Legacy Carrier with a Greek letter in their livery.
          Fixed.

Now I am going to take some LAN (sorry LATAM) flights: ELP, DFW, EZE, AEP, GUA, DFW, ELP. One segment will be in a plane with a LAN or LATAM livery. The other ones will have a dopble "A" and it's not for Aerolíneas Argentinas (while two of thse will not be operated by the double A company).
          (Oh, and by the way, one segment will be my first flight in a 787, I hope that the overdue in-flight structural break up doesn't happen on that very flight).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by rich7271 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6844[/ATTACH]
            well in many cases they write they have written operated by any other flight so you will know the flight name and flight no. in your ticket.

Comment

Working...
            X