Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, but how do we get sturdy, realistic, yet PORTABLE yoke, pedals, and power levers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, but how do we get sturdy, realistic, yet PORTABLE yoke, pedals, and power levers

Have you ever wondered what a 17-inch laptop would look like if someone strapped two extra screens to its sides? Well, that’s both an oddly specific thought, and exactly what the insane folks at PC gaming company Razer have dreamt up with their new Project Valerie concept laptop. Unfortunately, you can’t buy the Project Valerie, as it’s just a concept … for now.

...and no, do not mention a side stick, or how the procedures say don't mess with the rudder pedals!
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/r...140545138.html

...and no, do not mention a side stick, or how the procedures say don't mess with the rudder pedals!
    The last thing that I know is, that Microsoft had one or two problems when people tried to run fsx on a PORTABLE device. Do you have an idea which simulator you'd prefer? I mean, after fsx, there has happened something. Prepar3d is one thing. And X-plane is, imho, the 3rd option for all "serious" bed room simulator enthusiasts.

I still use fsx. But I've never tried to use it while you wait for .. the bus/the train/the plane.

"Realistic"? - Well, for programs that can be used on a tablet/notebook/home PC, that means, pmdg does it quite well, also without "plastic pedals" or a "throttle joystick" that would be good for a four engined jet...
    I've never used something like that, because I know that there are yoke/throttle "joystick" combinations in the market that easily cost
    500 US-Dollar or more.
    If "semipro" means, that there is
    a) no g-force which you'd feel in your back
    and
    b) no cold breeze if you open the F/O window in a B747-400 on a windy January morning on the apron,
    then this is already quite something.

If you're lookin for, as I call it, semipro jet simulations, then you should at least once in your life have bought a pmdg (precision manuals) aircraft. Cpt Randazzo might send me a Thank You note, for this commercial.

Let me quote one or two words from the system requirements, as mentioned by Cpt RR:
    "4 GB of RAM", "a video card with at least 1 GB of VRAM",

To shorten it, and yes I really try to be at least as short as I can, for fsx it is not so very important if you own the newest video chip. Fsx is a hardware eater, i.e.
    you use 6 GB RAM instead of 4 which RR recommends as an absolute minimum? - Good.

You use a video card with another 2 GB, so, 6+2, eight Gigabyte of fast Random Access Memory? - Better.

But as I mentioned, I am not an expert for mobile solutions. When I bought fsx and the pmdg B744X, mobile solutions were not yet fast enough, imho.

As flight simulation (with a good weather component) is one of the most complex "games" that are available for "bedroom computer" users like you n me, I doubt if it is a good idea to try it on a portable device.

Or is there a jetphotos member who uses a pmdg jet with .. x-plane or fsx on a notebook? I'd be curious which cpu is in that notebook..

PS: Again not really short. Sorry. In a few words, I've never used complex simulations like weather (ask a meteorologist) or a complex jet on a mobile device. But I don't know either how fast mobile cpus are in the year 2017.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-01-09, 19:44. Reason: Are there really fast mobile processors? Example?
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

I've just found something that's completely absurd, concerning the topic that we discuss here.

A pair of Pedals for "bedroom simulator" use, only 1 left pedal + 1 right pedal, no yoke, no throttle (for four engines):

GF-RP 2. I was far far far too harmless with my 500 $ ... Guess what you've to spend for only two simulator pedals. Did you read what Highkeas and me discussed a few weeks ago?

The fare for 1 person on a transatlantic nonstop flight in a B747-400 between, let's say the Rockies and Europe. And the pedals are more expensive.

799,- Euros, for only two simulator pedals! And now let's again discuss the nonstop Jumbo return ticket!

You bet where I'd invest 800,-. Not in two pedals! Not as long as somebody provides spare parts that fit into a real 747-400. As ATL always says, I think it was him, with the famous words,
      with winglets!
      Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-01-09, 22:31. Reason: Wanna buy a starboard winglet for a B744?

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
        But as I mentioned, I am not an expert for mobile solutions. When I bought fsx and the pmdg B744X, mobile solutions were not yet fast enough, imho.
        There are very fast mobile CPUs (up to 4 cores/8 threads 3+GHz and supporting up to 64GB of RAM) and GPUs (nVIDIA GTX 10x0 series with up to 8GB of VRAM). There are also bulky, heavy and ugly "gaming notebooks" using desktop CPUs and even graphics cards in SLI (don't expect the batery to last long with these ).
        "I know that at times I can be a little over the top." -ITS

Comment

Originally posted by Not_Karl View Post
          There are very fast mobile CPUs (up to 4 cores/8 threads 3+GHz and supporting up to 64GB of RAM) and GPUs (nVIDIA GTX 10x0 series with up to 8GB of VRAM). There are also bulky, heavy and ugly "gaming notebooks" using desktop CPUs and even graphics cards in SLI (don't expect the batery to last long with these ).
          THIS is one avatar! And somebody like me gets deleted only because one Brian and one Bobby don't like me? But who cares!

Yes. I assumed something like that. But you don't know the name of the processor that is used in the mobile solution which 3WE mentioned here in #1? This was meant when I said
          " I'd be curious which cpu is in that notebook.. "

4 core mobile cpus by ... Intel? We could ask jetphotos member "Schwartz", who apparently also knows one or two things about computers, twenty or thirty (!) years ago.

With that background (486 DX 33?!), 4 core mobile cpus almost seem like science fiction. But yes, after all what I have experienced with fsx,

we should recommend a 4 core mobile cpu for 3WE, if he seriously wants to use fsx on a portable device.

Your avatar... I think there is a parallel: Let us hope that we find everywhere enough of your avatar, and let's hope that we always have enough RAM, whether mobile or not.

PS: I know that people who use fsx not only as a game but ... with 799,- Euro pedals (?!), really don't use less than a 4 core cpu:
          i7-2700k, for example. But since I discussed the 'Modern Quad Core Cpu' topic at last, that was at least 24 months ago.
          An i7-2700k with 6 Gigabyte fast RAM, and a 2 Gig fast video card in a notebook?

I think that's what 3WE is lookin for, besides yor avatar! Your avatar, that's what we all are lookin for!!
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-01-14, 04:40. Reason: Modern Cpu?

Comment

Not_Karl, If you ask me concerning SLI, I'd answer with Crossfire. But neither you nor me are professional gpu (graphic processing unit) dealers, aren't we.

But I think, 3WE s got alot of recommendations here. I'd add: go to your local gpu dealer and ask him concerning Crossfire in a notebook, with i7-2700k or better.

Comment

Hm. I don't know yet if Cpt Randazzo (precision manuals founder) has ever been a Jetphotos member.

But since I use the website of his company this year (2017), and I've tried it at least 5 or 6 times... , he does no longer provide the pmdg 747-800i, neither for fsx nor for prepar3d or x-plane.

Randazzo never operated a user forum on his website, not since 1997, so you'll have to search pmdg news in the internet.

I thought that a good consequence of the pmdg B744 fsx, which I own and fly since a few years, would be a pmdg B748i fsx with original Boeing flight parameters. Such a product has never been sold by Randazzo. Another jubilee,

20 years for precision manuals in 2017.

Without a 748i in the "Products" section of the pmdg homepage? Randazzo does no longer seem to feel responsible for aviation enthusiasts between Europe, SeaTac or Buenos Aires.

And that's a very sad fact. Randazzo should ask me, when the 747 disappears from the skies. And until 2020, he could've sold my nickname and the new sister ship 748i.

But he doesn't leave an option, so that I have serious news today.

Don't try to buy a pmdg B747-400 or pmdg B747-800i, he simply does no longer sell it. And everything that is on the market today must be thoroughly checked if it is not a fake ($325,000,000.00)!

Which brings me in some kind of an embarrassing situation. Am I today one of only two or three Jetphotos members who legally fly the pmdg B744 fsx?
              That would be quite exclusive. But I can cope with that, I am old enough..

PS: Today, January 14th 2017, only the following pmdg products are legal, if bought today for fsx (directly published by RR):
              777-200LR
              777-300ER (expansion)
              737-800
              737-600 fsx
              and the
              Jetstream J41, small (compared to DC-3 or DC-4) two engined short haul turbo prop.
              ---

Lufthansa never was an airline which provides solutions that are available on every island between Dublin or Shannon, LH 716 Haneda (instead of Narita?!) and Kansai ('aircraft carrier'). But in four years (2021), LH seems to be the only airline in Europe who still operates 747s. And Randazzo does not want to be part of it?

In contrast to me.

Ende der Durchsage, in English: end of the announcement.
              Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-01-14, 08:54. Reason: Randazzo has left the 747 club, in contrast to me.

Comment

LHB:

My original post was mostly to point out three screens and joke that portable controls would be more difficult.

I was disappointed to read your comments that laptops might lack performance for good simming...

...still, the objective was humor and FYI.

Not_Karl's avatar refers to the practice of dropping and then chasing and cutting toilet paper from an aerobatic aircraft. The wall should be removed first.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

But you don't know the name of the processor that is used in the mobile solution which 3WE mentioned here in #1? This was meant when I said
                  It has an Intel Core i7-7700HQ and an Nvidia GTX 1080, but it should be noted that it is not intended to be an actual product yet; it is a prototype to showcase an idea - like a notebook equivalent of a concept car.

Thanks, 3we .

Comment

THIS is one avatar! And somebody like me gets deleted only because one Brian and one Bobby don't like me? But who cares!

Yes. I assumed something like that. But you don't know the name of the processor that is used in the mobile solution which 3WE mentioned here in #1? This was meant when I said

4 core mobile cpus by ... Intel? We could ask jetphotos member "Schwartz", who apparently also knows one or two things about computers, twenty or thirty (!) years ago.

With that background (486 DX 33?!), 4 core mobile cpus almost seem like science fiction. But yes, after all what I have experienced with fsx,

we should recommend a 4 core mobile cpu for 3WE, if he seriously wants to use fsx on a portable device.

Your avatar... I think there is a parallel: Let us hope that we find everywhere enough of your avatar, and let's hope that we always have enough RAM, whether mobile or not.

PS: I know that people who use fsx not only as a game but ... with 799,- Euro pedals (?!), really don't use less than a 4 core cpu:
                    i7-2700k, for example. But since I discussed the 'Modern Quad Core Cpu' topic at last, that was at least 24 months ago.
                    An i7-2700k with 6 Gigabyte fast RAM, and a 2 Gig fast video card in a notebook?

I think that's what 3WE is lookin for, besides yor avatar! Your avatar, that's what we all are lookin for!!
                    I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's not a case of not liking you at all. I don't even know you. It's a case of not understanding 99% of what you are saying !!

You really would be better off posting in your native language. We could then use an online translation tool where needed. Like this but in reverse...

Sie wäre wirklich besser dran Buchung in Ihrer Muttersprache. Wir können dann eine Online-Übersetzung tool wo nötig.
                    Last edited by brianw999; 2017-01-17, 13:03.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Not_Karl View Post
                      It has an Intel Core i7-7700HQ and an Nvidia GTX 1080, but it should be noted that it is not intended to be an actual product yet; it is a prototype to showcase an idea - like a notebook equivalent of a concept car.

Thanks, 3we .
                      Hm. Sie wäre wirklich besser dran Buchung in Ihrer Muttersprache. In English. She would have an advantage booking in her mother tongue. In Spanish? That'd be your part, Not Karl.

There is one mistake that I've not quite learned to avoid since I am here... The later the evening the worse is my English. But why. Some parts of the Internet are hard to bear when you're sober. That was my opinion in 2008. And it hasn't changed that much since. But why. I think nobody here in this topic is the reason. There are jetphotos members with a Boeing as their avatar, and they are ... probably not harmless in a sense of naive, but harmless in a sense of ... friendly, especially with people who they don't read every day. Example: B757300.

And there are different jetphotos members, probably I simply don't share the humour of such a heavy 5Y jet...

Back on topic. Men dream of concept cars. It's a pity that most of them can't be bought by you and me.
                      Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-01-25, 22:15. Reason: I admit, the later the evening...

Comment

The later the evening the worse is my English.
                        That is probably true for every person and every language .

Comment

Working...
                        X