Cargo airplane collapsed in Kyrgyzstan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
    His testimony before Congress, regarding the 1500 hour minimum.
    STATEMENT OF CHESLEY B. “SULLY” SULLENBERGER III   Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation April 28, 201…

He didn't directly praise himself, but he did praise his copilot. However, mentioned at the beginning about his hours and accomplishments.
    And by the way... "I have served as a pilot for more than 40 years, logging more than 20,000 hours of flight experience."

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      I have to admit that's more than what I expected. How is your typical trip / week, and how many weeks per year are you off work, if you don't mind sharing?
      Just want to check which one of my assumptions is wrong with you.

Yup. 8 per day, 30 per week (and one day off), 100 per month, 1000 per year.

My typical monthly pattern is 70 - 80 hours a month. That is with 13 days off in a 30 day month, and 14 days off in a 31 day month. I get 3 weeks vacation per year.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        The point i'm trying to make is that 10,000 hours of bad habit piloting experience (in which you've always gotten away with it because 99.9999% of the time those fatal contributing factors aren't present) is worse than 100 hours of bad habit experience. The more flight hours a pilot with poor airmanship or CRM discipline has, the more confident the pilot is in his complacency, the more ingrained those bad habits become, the greater the risk.

I think hours mean something up to about 1000-1500 hours on type. I want the PIC to have that if possible. But beyond that, total hours are a poor way of judging how reliable a pilot is.

Hours of training is what matters. And the quality of those hours.
        My response to your post was intended to be both factual and acknowledgement of your point that one can log hours and not gain experience and/or gain complacency.
        Les rčgles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

BB, how many flight hours do you log in an average year?

"Just want to check which one of my assumptions is wrong with you."

What were you assuming?

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post

What were you assuming?
            How many hours per year a professional pilot might typically log. You know, you actually do it vs. we outsiders just parlour talking.
            Les rčgles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              How many hours per year a professional pilot might typically log. You know, you actually do it vs. we outsiders just parlour talking.
              Like I told Gabe, We are limited by the FAA to 1000 hours in 365 days. I am told by my Alaska friends that they get special dispensation and can fly 1200.

Comment

What were you assuming?
                This, in a previous post:

You take the LH flight to Buenos Aires Monday night. That's a 12 / 13 hours flight. Half of that + 1 hour will be flight time for each of the 2 full crews. That's less than your 8 hours, but just for the sake of it let's take 8 hours. So you arrive Tuesday morning. Do you really think that the same crews will fly the Tuesday night flight back to Munich? No! They will fly the Wednesday night flight (another 8 hours) and will arrive to Munich Thursday morning, and then take the Friday night to Buenos Aires (another 8 hours) arriving Saturday morning, and Sunday will be their day off so they will take the Monday night flight back to Munich and the cycle repeats (only that now in the opposite direction). This is simplified, since a crew will not typically fly the same legs always, but just to give an idea, we had 3 x 8 hours flight time per week. The year has 52 weeks, but remove 6 weeks for vacation and training, and you are left with 46 weeks, and 46 x 8 = 368 hours per year.
                On a related note, how long (years) did you take to reach the 10K hours mark?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Like I told Gabe, We are limited by the FAA to 1000 hours in 365 days. I am told by my Alaska friends that they get special dispensation and can fly 1200.
                  But my assumption is that long-haul pilots never (ok 3we, rarely, so we avoid absolute statements) come close to the 1000 hours limit.

Comment

...3we...avoid absolute statements...
                    Indeed,...and then Bobby mentions Alaska...

Comment

This, in a previous post:

On a related note, how long (years) did you take to reach the 10K hours mark?

I really do not remember.

Comment

But my assumption is that long-haul pilots never (ok 3we, rarely, so we avoid absolute statements) come close to the 1000 hours limit.

In the 18 years I have been at Atlas, I have known about 3 pilots and a half dozen flight engineers in the old days that timed out in late November and early December. They got a month/month and a half off with pay. The most I have ever flown here is in the mid 900's the year before last.

Comment

My typical monthly pattern is 70 - 80 hours a month. That is with 13 days off in a 30 day month, and 14 days off in a 31 day month. I get 3 weeks vacation per year.
                          With 18 years of seniority you only get 13 days off? Or this just a case of a few ex-wives too many?

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                            With 18 years of seniority you only get 13 days off? Or this just a case of a few ex-wives too many?
                            13 days off every month. That's too few? (plus 3 weeks vacations)

Comment

A Turkish cargo plane trying to land in dense fog crashed Monday morning near Kyrgyzstan’s main airport, killing 37 people – including entire families of a village struck by the jet, authorit…

Conforming to preliminary clue, the plane crashed due to a pilot inaccuracy,
                              ”Deputy Prime Minister Muhammetkaly Abulgaziev said on state TV,
                              Agence France-Presse reported.
                              You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
                              http://flyinganarchy.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                                Sorry to say that our fabulous contract has them owning us for 17 days a month. And no only one of those for over 40 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X