JP Site Redesign: Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JP Site Redesign: Suggestions

Firstly, Great Job! Thank You to all who put in the hard work - Respect.

Suggestion 1:

JP is home to one of the largest AvGeek population on the planet if not THE largest. And so, i'd just like to propose the addition of a Flight Log option.
    I currently use FlightDiary. There are others like FlightMemory.com AirDiary.net OpenFlights.org and so on......

JP is owned by the Google of the AvGeek world - FR24. Can I please request the addition of a FR24/JP flight log wherein you just key-in the date and your flight number - FR24 should auto-populate the rest of the info from its database.

Suggestion 2:

Its 2017, to wait ages for a photo to be screened when you can just instantly share it via the multitude of options seems a little out of whack.
    Having said that, I regard the big two as the Gold Standard but I do suggest embracing change in that - give some of the experienced uploaders or people who meet criteria a/b/c the option of skipping the queue and having their photos go up instantly.
    If this person abuses the system or uploads really sub-standard content (unlikely) then the insta-addition privilege can be withdrawn & he can be asked to go back and stand in line.......

This ensures a fresh Top of 24 (if its allowed to stay organic by JP not spamming non-newsworthy photos across their social media) and a leaner queue/lesser workload for the screeners (some of whom can skim over the insta-added photos to ensure adherence with standards and if needed ping the uploader about a category he may have missed or an editing flaw etc.....

Suggestion 3:

If you look at the screenshot below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	123.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1044897

The part marked 1 are two hyperlinks which do the exact same thing (correct me if i'm wrong) and so the one saying Photos can be done away with. And instead be replaced by the uploader's Flight Log hyperlink.

The part marked 2 IMO can be better represented as the reg for example: VT-JBB | Airframe Info | Aircraft Flight Log (where the former hyperlinks to more photos of that reg, the airframe info & the a/c's flight log on FR24)

I had spoken to Brian on the phone a while ago and had mentioned Suggestion #2 among other things. He did tell me to put it down in writing but, I just never got round to doing it.

Anyways, i'm glad there's a refreshing new look to JP which was badly needed and I offer the above suggestions as something I feel will make this place even better.

Cheers - VJ

I note that compared to before the changes, my pictures in 1920px are much more poor quality with major loss of sharpness ... it would be a shame ...

Comment

Originally posted by medo View Post
      I note that compared to before the changes, my pictures in 1920px are much more poor quality with major loss of sharpness ... it would be a shame ...
      Pictures resolution still intact, you'll have to click once the picture to see it in full resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishal Jolapara View Post
        Firstly, Great Job! Thank You to all who put in the hard work - Respect.

Suggestion 1:

JP is home to one of the largest AvGeek population on the planet if not THE largest. And so, i'd just like to propose the addition of a Flight Log option.
        I currently use FlightDiary. There are others like FlightMemory.com AirDiary.net OpenFlights.org and so on......

JP is owned by the Google of the AvGeek world - FR24. Can I please request the addition of a FR24/JP flight log wherein you just key-in the date and your flight number - FR24 should auto-populate the rest of the info from its database.

Suggestion 2:

Its 2017, to wait ages for a photo to be screened when you can just instantly share it via the multitude of options seems a little out of whack.
        Having said that, I regard the big two as the Gold Standard but I do suggest embracing change in that - give some of the experienced uploaders or people who meet criteria a/b/c the option of skipping the queue and having their photos go up instantly.
        If this person abuses the system or uploads really sub-standard content (unlikely) then the insta-addition privilege can be withdrawn & he can be asked to go back and stand in line.......

This ensures a fresh Top of 24 (if its allowed to stay organic by JP not spamming non-newsworthy photos across their social media) and a leaner queue/lesser workload for the screeners (some of whom can skim over the insta-added photos to ensure adherence with standards and if needed ping the uploader about a category he may have missed or an editing flaw etc.....

Suggestion 3:

If you look at the screenshot below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7124[/ATTACH]

The part marked 1 are two hyperlinks which do the exact same thing (correct me if i'm wrong) and so the one saying Photos can be done away with. And instead be replaced by the uploader's Flight Log hyperlink.

The part marked 2 IMO can be better represented as the reg for example: VT-JBB | Airframe Info | Aircraft Flight Log (where the former hyperlinks to more photos of that reg, the airframe info & the a/c's flight log on FR24)

I had spoken to Brian on the phone a while ago and had mentioned Suggestion #2 among other things. He did tell me to put it down in writing but, I just never got round to doing it.

Anyways, i'm glad there's a refreshing new look to JP which was badly needed and I offer the above suggestions as something I feel will make this place even better.

Cheers - VJ
        I have to say Vishal, firstly thanks for your input.
        Regarding your suggestion 2.... I am against the concept of non screening addition of images.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions Vishal,

It's very refreshing to have dedicated contributors want to improve their first port of call where uploading. I don't mind the idea of having some sort of link to Flight logs to coincide a little more with FR24 for example this link VH-VOZ Flight Log.

Definitely agree with Brian on the screening though, sorry. That might get a bit carried away with

Since it is only day one, there will be many improvements and fixes to come I'm sure.

Comment

I really like the re-design and focus on photos all over the front page. The only thing I'm missing so far is the top of the last 48/week/month/year categories. It was nice to be able to quickly see top photos of different date ranges, sometimes I don't browse for a few weeks and would like to see what was good in that time frame. Is there any way we might be able to get that back, or is it still possible and I'm not seeing it?

Comment

Overall, I think the redesign looks great and I don't see anything major. Just one thing.... Could we maybe see some more information in the "managed queued photos" section when accessed from a mobile device, namely the position of each photo in the queue? While that's probably pretty small to a lot of people, its kind of big to me and was definitely a shock when I couldn't see the positions of my photos in the queue on my phone when I woke up this morning.

And as for the screening thing, I think screening needs to stay for all but definitely agree that there has to be a way to speed up the process.

Comment

Also I like the design,,just have to getting used to it.
                On the old design, you could to to other pages,,now it seems like you just go to the bottom and the next photos comes up.
                Will you make a "page buttom" again ?
                Rgds Ole

Comment

Originally posted by SAS931 View Post
                  On the old design, you could to to other pages,,now it seems like you just go to the bottom and the next photos comes up.
                  Rgds Ole
                  I agree with you. I don't like it either if I can scroll forever and ever.
                  Overall, very pleased with the redesign. Will have to get used to it, but that's usual with something new.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Dear All,

I visited the new redesign site, but I didn't find a lot of informations that before were very easy to find: for example, where is the cue photo page (with info about the status of my uploaded pics waiting for the screening), where is the rejection page, where is the re-upload page....for me the old home page was easier to visiting!!! And then.....leave the home page uploading automatically at every scroll the all db pics creates many difficulties because the page continue to charge photographs endlessly ....using a lot of memory for no reason and continuing to crash very often....If I want to see the last pics uploaded I go to the last uploaded page.....this is much more logic!! Thank you in advance for the answers...

Comment

Originally posted by Robbby66 View Post
                      Dear All,

I visited the new redesign site, but I didn't find a lot of informations that before were very easy to find: for example, where is the cue photo page (with info about the status of my uploaded pics waiting for the screening), where is the rejection page, where is the re-upload page....for me the old home page was easier to visiting!!! And then.....leave the home page uploading automatically at every scroll the all db pics creates many difficulties because the page continue to charge photographs endlessly ....using a lot of memory for no reason and continuing to crash very often....If I want to see the last pics uploaded I go to the last uploaded page.....this is much more logic!! Thank you in advance for the answers...
                      On the right top is the user area where you find everything you looking for after successful log in

Comment

Something I may have mentioned on Facebook, would it be possible to once again bring some form of news ticker back to the front page. Even if it is just displaying hot photos in another window. I always like to keep up-to-date with whats going on around the world and whilst I realize a lot of hot photos will make the front page, not all do. I now find I go to a rival site for the news but would prefer if it were here.

Comment

Originally posted by SAS931 View Post
                          Rgds Ole
                          Very unlikely, scrolling is the future! Works really nicely on my iPhone.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. At the moment we are concentrating on site stability, bug fixes and ensuring that everything is working as intended. We will try to go through these suggestions at some point in the future.

Comment

I usually searched the photos by the resolution before, such as 1920px and larger etc. and I can't find the option now, it's uncovenient for me, could you provide the search option like before?

Comment

Working...
                              X