Is it time to ground Hans Solo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time to ground Hans Solo?

He seems to be a bit accident prone these days. I really do not like these mixed GA and commercial operations.

The US actor mistakenly landed on a taxiway on Monday, passing over a passenger plane, media say.

Does anyone know the age limitations for GA and how repeated incidents might affect your active status?

No age limitation for GA. I knew pilots (ok, one pilot) over 80 still flying and instructing!!!

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      He seems to be a bit accident prone these days. I really do not like these mixed GA and commercial operations.

The US actor mistakenly landed on a taxiway on Monday, passing over a passenger plane, media say.

Does anyone know the age limitations for GA and how repeated incidents might affect your active status?
      Star-freighter-improvisation!

There are no age limitations (please post video of your head exploding); although a medical exam (including tests for a heartbeat and at least some cognitive function) is required, unless you are operating a designated LSA.

Most likely some FAR's were violated here...as to whether the goliath, bureaucratic, over-reaching, inefficient, regulatory arm of our government can act until El Presidente converts them into a group too small to handle much enforcement at all whatsoever?...interesting question.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

NBC News is reporting that Harrison Ford mistakenly landed his Husky on a taxiway at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California, flying above an American Airlines 737 full of 110 passengers. The FAA told NBC that Ford was given correct landing instructions by ATC, and he read them back. But he then flew above the 737 and asked controllers, "Was that airliner meant to be underneath me?"

I mean...it might be. But in fairness to Ford, this same mistake has happened to a lot of younger pilots, and airline pilots.

His flying history is pretty nuts, he's been in almost more close calls flying in real life than an Indiana Jones movie:

Ford was injured in a crash last March, when he landed his Ryan PT-22 on a Santa Monica golf course. The NTSB's final report blamed the engine failure on the main metering jet in the carburetor coming loose. Ford, 72, owns several aircraft and has been involved in several other incidents and accidents. In 1999, he made a hard landing on a riverbed, while flying a helicopter with an instructor. In 2000, Ford damaged a Beech Bonanza during a landing. Nobody was hurt in either incident.

Comment

2017.02.22: Todays headlines:

-Incident caught on video...let's have a feeding frenzy!

-He flew over a taxiing airliner...(as opposed to one in a flight operation like takeoff). Hoping we can loose the NEAR TOTAL DISASTER INCURSION COLLISION mentality (of course the video has to say 'near collision')

-Sooo...the next question is if the runways at this airport offer some sort of challenge for identification/has this sort of thing happened before at this airport specifically? Or did Han blow it big time. (FWIW, I think we might ask what good it does to put the big numbers on the runway anyway...I guess they might be useful about 1 mile out for a light plane pilot to confess to ATC that he blew it?

AND, wow, they do have good video...Han was supposed to land on the left runway...there are plenty of cases of folks missing the runway for the taxiway, conversely it was CAVU and I've come to notice that a yellow line down the middle versus a big white line and piano keys and numbers and all, do at least give the message runway and taxiway as appropriate.

Tough one. LONG Ago, the ATIS at Flyover International used to have the phrase: "Aircraft landing on 12L or 13 Use extreme caution to avoid inadvertent alignment with the wrong runway". We even ran an MD-80 into a corporate aircraft due to a runway mix up.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            2017.02.22: Todays headlines:

-Incident caught on video...let's have a feeding frenzy!
            Link or it didn't happen.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              Link or it didn't happen.
              No.

www.internet.com...pick your favorite search engine... (Indeed, it is not on Wikipedia quite yet).

It's a great video...clear skies, beautiful colorful airplanes...there's two videos.

Comment

Do you think the pilots in the airliner got a TCAS RA?

TRAFFIC... STOP!
                Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                  Do you think the pilots in the airliner got a TCAS RA?

TRAFFIC... STOP!
                  DESCEND!

Comment

TCAS speculation

Originally posted by elaw
                    STOP!
                    Originally posted by Evan View Post
                    DESCEND!
                    Wrong.

Another sound byte for the radio showComment, rate subscribe

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	HanSolo.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1015458

Comment

The video:

Comment

How do you mistake that for the runway in perfect VMC? Dementia setting in...

Comment

Or fatigue...

I think if it were me in that cockpit, the most important clue would be one that doesn't appear in Gabe's image: the presence of a taxiing aircraft at the approach end of the runway.

Is it me or does his approach also look very steep? Maybe he was more focused on getting the a/c slowed down and flaring than the picture outside the cockpit.
                            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Pretty sure he could have almost hit the tail of the 737...the AA jet probably would have been fine but the Husky likely would have nose planted. I think it's time for him to hang up the cans. I would have cut him some slack on a hazy day or at night or sunset, but broad daylight like that, either he is blind or just wasn't paying attention, I'm not sure which is worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X