Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to ground Hans Solo?

Default Is it time to ground Hans Solo?

He seems to be a bit accident prone these days. I really do not like these mixed GA and commercial operations.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38976965

Does anyone know the age limitations for GA and how repeated incidents might affect your active status?

No age limitation for GA. I knew pilots (ok, one pilot) over 80 still flying and instructing!!!

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    He seems to be a bit accident prone these days. I really do not like these mixed GA and commercial operations.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38976965

Does anyone know the age limitations for GA and how repeated incidents might affect your active status?
    Star-freighter-improvisation!

There are no age limitations (please post video of your head exploding); although a medical exam (including tests for a heartbeat and at least some cognitive function) is required, unless you are operating a designated LSA.

Most likely some FAR's were violated here...as to whether the goliath, bureaucratic, over-reaching, inefficient, regulatory arm of our government can act until El Presidente converts them into a group too small to handle much enforcement at all whatsoever?...interesting question.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...-228497-1.html

I mean...it might be. But in fairness to Ford, this same mistake has happened to a lot of younger pilots, and airline pilots.

His flying history is pretty nuts, he's been in almost more close calls flying in real life than an Indiana Jones movie:

Ford was injured in a crash last March, when he landed his Ryan PT-22 on a Santa Monica golf course. The NTSB's final report blamed the engine failure on the main metering jet in the carburetor coming loose. Ford, 72, owns several aircraft and has been involved in several other incidents and accidents. In 1999, he made a hard landing on a riverbed, while flying a helicopter with an instructor. In 2000, Ford damaged a Beech Bonanza during a landing. Nobody was hurt in either incident.

2017.02.22: Todays headlines:

-Incident caught on video...let's have a feeding frenzy!

-He flew over a taxiing airliner...(as opposed to one in a flight operation like takeoff). Hoping we can loose the NEAR TOTAL DISASTER INCURSION COLLISION mentality (of course the video has to say 'near collision')

-Sooo...the next question is if the runways at this airport offer some sort of challenge for identification/has this sort of thing happened before at this airport specifically? Or did Han blow it big time. (FWIW, I think we might ask what good it does to put the big numbers on the runway anyway...I guess they might be useful about 1 mile out for a light plane pilot to confess to ATC that he blew it?

AND, wow, they do have good video...Han was supposed to land on the left runway...there are plenty of cases of folks missing the runway for the taxiway, conversely it was CAVU and I've come to notice that a yellow line down the middle versus a big white line and piano keys and numbers and all, do at least give the message runway and taxiway as appropriate.

Tough one. LONG Ago, the ATIS at Flyover International used to have the phrase: "Aircraft landing on 12L or 13 Use extreme caution to avoid inadvertent alignment with the wrong runway". We even ran an MD-80 into a corporate aircraft due to a runway mix up.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    2017.02.22: Todays headlines:

-Incident caught on video...let's have a feeding frenzy!
    Link or it didn't happen.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Link or it didn't happen.
    No.

www.internet.com...pick your favorite search engine... (Indeed, it is not on Wikipedia quite yet).

It's a great video...clear skies, beautiful colorful airplanes...there's two videos.

Do you think the pilots in the airliner got a TCAS RA?

TRAFFIC... STOP!
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Quote Originally Posted by elaw View Post
    Do you think the pilots in the airliner got a TCAS RA?

TRAFFIC... STOP!
    DESCEND!

TCAS speculation

Quote Originally Posted by elaw
    STOP!
    DESCEND!
    Wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr3sBks5o_8

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HanSolo.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	7263

The video:

How do you mistake that for the runway in perfect VMC? Dementia setting in...

Or fatigue...

I think if it were me in that cockpit, the most important clue would be one that doesn't appear in Gabe's image: the presence of a taxiing aircraft at the approach end of the runway.

Is it me or does his approach also look very steep? Maybe he was more focused on getting the a/c slowed down and flaring than the picture outside the cockpit.
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Pretty sure he could have almost hit the tail of the 737...the AA jet probably would have been fine but the Husky likely would have nose planted. I think it's time for him to hang up the cans. I would have cut him some slack on a hazy day or at night or sunset, but broad daylight like that, either he is blind or just wasn't paying attention, I'm not sure which is worse.

How do you mistake that for the runway in perfect VMC? Dementia setting in...
    Have you gone and taken that bicycle ride yet (by all means, wear a helmet)...

...or do we only have typographical errors for you to find a personal human-error analogy?

There was a big plane in position on the right side...he was landing on the left...sometimes there's taxiways in the middle.

...one serous fault with Gabe's picture is that its nowhere near a 3-degree approach path...

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    Jetphoto with no jet

Applying some fuzzy logic, why doesn't the non-instrument runway rank an aiming mark (which is a visual thing)...Yeah, I know...you break out of the clouds the view will give you two runways to choose between in a very short time, without excessive amounts of information as to which is which.

PS: I revert to the Pre 9/11 ATIS at Flyover International Airport: "Aircraft landing on 12L should exercise extreme caution to not mistakenly align with Runway 13." (Runway 13 was a converted taxiway)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Runway 13.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	7264  

Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    ...one serous fault with Gabe's picture is that its nowhere near a 3-degree approach path...
    Neither was Han Solo in his Husky, given that he crossed 100ft above the 737.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Neither was Han Solo in his Husky, given that he crossed 100ft above the 737.
    Yes.

I am thinking that Indi's future flying will involve a CFI acting as PIC...It IS a significant error and violation.

But please take a peek at my photo of Flyover International when it was a hub for some airline (Can't remember their name, but their initials were TWA). The ATIS quote I list is evidence to me that Harrison Ford is not the first, nor last person (and not all of them are old) to land on the wrong strip of pavement.

AND, I have to admit...those last several seconds of dealing with winds and bank and speed and the approach of the not-so-mushy mother earth probably lead me to a decent bit of tunnel vision...and without an official PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elaw View Post
    Is it me or does his approach also look very steep?
    It appears to me that he saw the 737 crossing (he did query ATC about it) and leveled more or less to clear it, then applied a steep approach to the so-called runway and a quick flare. Classic Hans Solo move.