TEXAS MAN CONVICTED OF INTERFERING WITH CABIN CREW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEXAS MAN CONVICTED OF INTERFERING WITH CABIN CREW

Following a four day trial a federal jury has convicted a 53 year old Texas man of interfering with a flight attendant on a American Airlines flight from Dallas Fort Worth to Maui.William Turner of Texas, was found guilty of one count of interference with a flight attendant.The charges included being verbally abusive toward other passengers and diverting a flight attendant from her normal duties to manage the situation.“When Turner’s actions were communicated to the pilot, he placed the cockpit in lockdown, locking the doors for the duration of the flight so that no one could enter or exit the cockpit,” the U.S. Attorney’s Office said in reporting the jury verdict.Jurors also found Turner guilty of two counts of simple assault.Turner faces a maximum term of imprisonment of 20 years.Sentencing is scheduled for June .
    You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.
    http://flyinganarchy.com/

Originally posted by tej007 View Post
    [FONT="]Following a four day trial a federal jury has convicted a 53 year old Texas man of interfering with a flight attendant on a American Airlines flight from Dallas Fort Worth to Maui.[/FONT][FONT="]William Turner of Texas, was found guilty of one count of interference with a flight attendant.The charges included being verbally abusive toward other passengers and diverting a flight attendant from her normal duties to manage the situation.[/FONT][FONT="]“When Turner’s actions were communicated to the pilot, he placed the cockpit in lockdown, locking the doors for the duration of the flight so that no one could enter or exit the cockpit,” the U.S. Attorney’s Office said in reporting the jury verdict.[/FONT][FONT="]Jurors also found Turner guilty of two counts of simple assault.[/FONT][FONT="]Turner faces a maximum term of imprisonment of 20 years.[/FONT][FONT="]Sentencing is scheduled for June .[/FONT]
    I totally agree that these guys have to serve jail time for real. But 20 years? For being verbally abusive, diverting a flight attendant from her duties, and assault without injuries? How much do you get for armed robbery (where you may have the intention to kill someone if necessary)? This may be basically a good guy that may use his punishment tp repent and return to be productive, if the sentence was maybe 6 month or one year, which would be also a very strong message for anybody (that is basically a good person maybe with a aggressive temper) from attempting it in the future. For the basically good guys that made one terrible mistake or decision, any real jail time is a real punishment and message.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      I totally agree that these guys have to serve jail time for real. But 20 years? For being verbally abusive, diverting a flight attendant from her duties, and assault without injuries? How much do you get for armed robbery (where you may have the intention to kill someone if necessary)? This may be basically a good guy that may use his punishment tp repent and return to be productive, if the sentence was maybe 6 month or one year, which would be also a very strong message for anybody (that is basically a good person maybe with a aggressive temper) from attempting it in the future. For the basically good guys that made one terrible mistake or decision, any real jail time is a real punishment and message.
      I'd say an airplane is not a good place for a "really terrific guy with a bad temper to make one terrible mistake". Not this day and age. One's wonderfulness coupled with bad temper are best displayed at the local watering hole.

Comment

Well the article does say "faces a maximum sentence of..." and does not actually state the guy was sentenced to 20 years. So his sentence probably has not yet been determined.
        Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
          I'd say an airplane is not a good place for a "really terrific guy with a bad temper to make one terrible mistake". Not this day and age. One's wonderfulness coupled with bad temper are best displayed at the local watering hole.
          Missing from the OP:

-The ACTUAL sentence (20 years is the max)

-Verbal and assault details: ("Sorry female canine, I am about to poop in my pants", and shoving by with a little elbow action into the lavatory? OR "I'm going to get my gun and hunt you down" and a genuine punch in the stomach.).

-Witness testimony as to how it went down...sometimes I blame the airline and FA.

I'm hoping all of that figures in to whatever the judge hands out (along with Gabe's comparisons AND the aviation risk aspects, and maybe even how the law is written too)

Too little data to meaningfully speculate. Wait for final report.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Well an airplane is not a good place to fart either, but I don't think people should be thrown in prison for 20 years for doing it. Maybe 10 years...

My view is the punishment should fit the crime. Someone pulls a gun or a knife on a flight... hell yeah, give 'em 20 years and then another 20 and another. But being "verbally abusive"? That covers a pretty wide range of things. If the guy called the person next to him an a-hole for hogging the armrest, 20 years is completely ridiculous. I honestly have a hard time thinking of any kind of "verbal abuse" that would merit a punishment that severe.

And diverting an FA from their normal duties? During an evacuation, yes, a serious crime. If it just meant a few people got their coffee a few minutes late, I wouldn't send someone to prison for that.
            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

And I agree. I want him jailed. But 20 years??? It was not like the man threatened to blow the plane or something like that. He basically was abusive and caused no injuries. What is the good part of jailing him for 20 years (for him or for the society), compared to for example jailing him for 1 year?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
              X