X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro Liveries

Hey everyone,

Been a while since I've posted on here.

Me and some friends were having a bit of a talk the other day at work wondering about retro liveries, since we'd seen the KLM 737, Aer Lingus A320 and Lufthansa A321 all in about 2 or 3 days.

So who still has a retro livery out there? Don't think there are many, then again there might be loads that I don't know about.

Plus who do you think needs one? I personally think a British Airways B747, A380 or B787 would look good in the Landor livery they had.

There are a fair few around the world.

American Airlines has several for various airlines that have been absorbed by their group as well as old American colours

Tarom has a retro 737 (YR-BGG)

Scadinavian Airlines has a A319 retro (OY-KBO)

Qantas has their two retro roo 737s (VH-VXQ and VH-XZP)

PIA has a few A320s and a B777-200ER (AP-BMG) in retro schemes

Turkish Airlines has a A330-200 (TC-JNB I think)

I think Iberia still have a Retro A319 (EC-KKS)

Alitalia, Air France, British Airways and Finnair did have retros but Finnair repainted theirs, BA retired the 757 and the other two have since been scrapped.

Probably some I have missed but these are the ones I know about.

As for needing a retro I would like to see BA do a similar thing to American and do liveries for all the airlines they absorbed as there have been plenty.

Comment

United Airlines has:

N75435 - Continental Airlines "Blue Skyways" retro (B739)

N475UA - United Airlines Friendship, also known as "stars and bars" retro (A320)

Comment

A list of some retro liveries with registrations can be found here:

✈ Take a closer look at Tracking Retro Jets and Airline History, learn more about flight tracking and get the latest aviation news with Flightradar24.

Comment

Sadly the Iberia A319 has now been repainted, after posting yesterday I checked and discovered it now wears the new colour scheme. How I forgot about the two Condor retro's and the Lufthansa 747 I have no idea. Didnt know that page existed but very useful one thanks for sharing.

Comment

Air France also has one, A320 F-GFKJ.

Comment

Originally posted by AllAboutGuitar View Post
              Hey everyone,

Been a while since I've posted on here.

Me and some friends were having a bit of a talk the other day at work wondering about retro liveries, since we'd seen the KLM 737, Aer Lingus A320 and Lufthansa A321 all in about 2 or 3 days.

So who still has a retro livery out there? Don't think there are many, then again there might be loads that I don't know about.

Plus who do you think needs one? I personally think a British Airways B747, A380 or B787 would look good in the Landor livery they had.
              Hm. At my home airport, I sometimes observe the BA jets. But here we don't see BA-B744s. Our locations are too close.

Landor was a good livery, which perfectly suited the BA-B742. Do you know the film 'A fish called Wanda' ? This is an example for Landor in combination with a B742. But LH left the 747-200 club in 2004. Do you know when BA flew the last BA-B742 flight?

PS: 'So who in 2017 flies retro liveries?' On a 747? In Europe? I don't know... But let me have a look at Star Alliance. If you want, this is yet a retro livery. What is a retro livery. A livery that has been in use 40 years ago? Then, definitely this is retro. I don't know them in a different livery, and I am almost 40 years old:
              AI-B744 'Palace in the Sky'
              Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-02-22, 22:50. Reason: Retro Liveries, in Europe, on a 747? I don't know...
              The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
              The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
              And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
              This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

American has AirCal, Reno Air, Piedmont, and America West stuff flying around as a way to celebrate the big happy family that they are.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                  American has AirCal, Reno Air, Piedmont, and America West stuff flying around as a way to celebrate the big happy family that they are.
                  plus TWA, Allegheny, and some older USAir stuff

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                    Or, is it more akin to dear heads hung on the family room wall? Thanks for mentioning Teenie Weenie Airlines, Tee Vee.
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                      Or, is it more akin to dear heads hung on the family room wall?
                      Using "dear" in this case must be a Freudian slip.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                        plus TWA, Allegheny, and some older USAir stuff
                        The US East Coast before 9/11, or what do you try to remember? It seems like a déjà-vu for me.

Some of us here at Jetphotos discussed that already in another topic... US Airways - gone. But imho, not as a result of 9/11 . You know that I read this forum since more than a decade?
                        Northwest Airlines - gone. Due to 9/11?

TWA.

I don't understand why NWA disappeared. KMSP has always been their home airport, not necessarily since 1926, but at least as long as I can think back. And Jetphotos, in contrast to my former webspace provider, is able to show airlines who are older than me!

I've always known that Jetphotos is a brilliant platform, but even more since the beginning of the new year. And I think, this photo is on topic. An airline which no longer exists. What could be more retro.

NW-B742 at my home airport, in a long gone livery...

...With an artist formerly known as Prince ('Little Red Corvette') on my ears. I bet he also never understood why the NWA 747s left his home airport. As you see, until I joined this forum, KMSP was a worldwide known airport. For more than 70 years.

Things change, and people die.

We don't have to understand all decisions. Imho, NWA didn't disappear due to 9/11. One honest word?

This "great again" or "biggest on the planet" is an US-American problem. I don't know who today is the biggest US-American airline. That's not a criterion which I use to recommend destinations.

Good destinations are made of people, not by superlatives. Prince and his forgotten home airport (KMSP with NWA).

Burt Lancaster in 'Airport 1970' (still KMSP, with George Kennedy..). Oh man. Not KORD or something similar. And I knew it since Lancaster stood next to the plan of the airport. I wouldn't own this nickname if KORD ever fit into that movie.

Old school. Airport identification en route.
                        Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-04-07, 00:55. Reason: Good destinations are made of people, not by superlatives.

Comment

For the next one I need your help. Retro liveries on a Boeing 747, that's the topic here, right? Well, whether AllAboutGuitar (who opened the topic) knew what he's begun..

Since 1969, there have been some liveries on a 747, worldwide. This time I like to pick an example where at least the airline has survived. I have in mind the 1998 movie 'Rush Hour', with Jackie Chan.

TeeVee or Leftseat86 should correct me, and I really tried to find screenshots of that movie scene, without success, wasn't this a movie which ended somehow like this (again, only with the help of the famous JP platform):
                          UA-B744 with a powerful take off at LAX

This color is called Battleship Grey, I've learned. In use since 1993, until the year x. Now, is this old enough to be retro. Yes I think so. Almost 25 years old. And, even more important, I'd say, these colors still today are an icon.

From Los Angeles to Hong Kong in a UA-B744, I don't think that this is a scheduled flight today, although with 6,300 nautical miles a typical B744 flight.
                          Imho, Battleship Grey has not been the worst of all United Air colors.
                          Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-04-07, 04:36. Reason: Typical B744 flights.

Comment

I remembered the Malaysia Airlines and Garuda Indonesia have Retro livery. And Garuda has 2 versions. One is PK-GFM another is PK-GFN. Well, in China, we make joke on Air China we always said its livery is Retro livery, because it is similar to it's old livery.

Comment

Originally posted by mpinnau View Post
                              United Airlines has:

N75435 - Continental Airlines "Blue Skyways" retro (B739)

Comment

Working...
                              X