Thread: Airbus A400M

Default Airbus A400M

"Der A400M ist schon lange als Pannenflieger verschrien." quotation from tagesspiegel, Berlin, February 7th 2017. In English, with German as my mother tongue:

"The A400M still has one or two problems in 2017."

But why?

"Am 19. Mai 2015 wurde gemeldet, dass Softwareprobleme den Airbus-Absturz verursacht hätten." quotation from de wiki 'Airbus A400M'. In English:

"Since May 19th 2015 there is a communication about software problems in the A400M cockpit."

But why? To avoid switching back and forth between German and English, I'll tell what I've read today in these two sources, in English. The German Department of Defense was not able to be transported with an A400M, and so, what happened. Btw, that incident didn't concern five or six German Air Force Generals plus 3 Colonels, but it concerned the chief of the German Department of Defense, the German Minister of Defense!

What happened is, the German Minister of Defense had to board a German
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transall_C-160

I wouldn't have opened this topic if I hadn't at least one question that I'm not able to answer.

Why does Airbus sell a military aircraft which is not able to transport the German Minister of Defense?! Is it a question of airworthiness? When I read that the Transall had to take over, I spontaneously had another aircraft in mind (my nickname).

PS: The A400M incident with the German Minister of Defense happened at EYKA (Flughafen Kaunas), approx 670 nautical miles away from here. That rather seems like a jet distance, but I'm not an A400M expert...
    As known since I am an aviation enthusiast (since 1984 or earlier), the airport most of the time is not responsible for aircraft failure.
    And, Gabriel, that's also the case if we talk about Los Rodeos.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 02-23-2017 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Location.
    One evening, not long ago, I watched TV and I wondered what you will possibly do after you've lost one parent. Strange question, why did I wonder. You will possibly be annoyed because he will miss so many happenings which you liked to show him. But after you somehow have regained your countenance, you will also join again people who you don't know. Stay strong, Jimmy.

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LH-B744 View Post
    (...) Why does Airbus sell a military aircraft which is not able to transport the German Minister of Defense?! (...)
    I think the more appropriate question here would be: "Why does the Bundesluftwaffe schedule an aircraft that is still plagued by teething troubles for a flight carrying the German Defense Minister?" One of their Bombardier Globals would have been enough to do the job. On the other hand, I think the transport arm of the Bundesluftwaffe basically operates like an airline and airlines do on occasion have equipment breakdowns. So honestly, if it hadn't been an A400M there would have been no story here. If we want to bash the A400M, there are better reasons for that than an aircraft going tech that was supposed to pick up the German Defense Minister.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
    I think the more appropriate question here would be: "Why does the Bundesluftwaffe schedule an aircraft that is still plagued by teething troubles [...]
    We don't want to denunciate Airbus, at least that is true for me!

And even if we are not happy with the situation, how could we, with Germany as our location.
    "airlines do on occasion have equipment breakdowns. " Hm. For everybody worldwide it is obvious the month when I became a Jetphotos member. Do I have to call it pure luck that, as far as I can think back, no German Minister of Defense ever relied on a LH-B744, and that no LH-B744 was unable to take off within ...let's say 12 hours?

I know the a/c type that frequently is used for these purposes, if the route is much longer than 670 nautical miles. And you are even closer to the answer than me.

What we both don't know, was the German Minister of Defense 'booked' on the A400M for the complete distance? Today I have learned, that an A400M is not a jet, but it isn't either a slow propeller. But that's a fact which doesn't help. I've just tried to imagine what I'd do if I planned to sit in a 747-400, with a seat number only for me, and as the B744 were not ready for t/o,
    "the airline"
    comes up with ... that comparison almost does not exist! The Transall is 10 meters shorter, and not much faster than half the speed of an A400M. In the last ten minutes I wasn't able to find an a/c that is more than 10 meters shorter and only half as fast as a B744.

Especially the two A400M pilots must've been... very happy. So, what did they do after the Transall took off? Probably they asked the airport for... two liters of coffee for each pilot?

I don't yet know the end of the story. Is the A400M still there? And the two A400M pilots?

Btw, nice to see you 'on board' again.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 03-08-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: LH-B744 very rarely has such problems, afaik.
    One evening, not long ago, I watched TV and I wondered what you will possibly do after you've lost one parent. Strange question, why did I wonder. You will possibly be annoyed because he will miss so many happenings which you liked to show him. But after you somehow have regained your countenance, you will also join again people who you don't know. Stay strong, Jimmy.

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years.