At least 4 killed after small plane crashes in Riverside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least 4 killed after small plane crashes in Riverside

IVERSIDE, Calif. (FOX 11 / AP)[COLOR=#353E47][FONT=&quot] - Four people were killed and at least two people were hurt when a small plane crashed into two homes Monday evening in Riverside, authorities said.

Live video:

Authorities said the death toll could grow after the crash.

The Cessna 310 aircraft crashed shortly after taking off from Riverside Municipal Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration said. The plane was headed for San Jose when it crashed about a half-mile northeast of the Riverside airport, FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said.

The plane came down into a residential neighborhood and collided with two homes near the intersection of Dewey Avenue and Rhonda Road. Video from SkyFOX showed at least one of the homes appeared to be completely destroyed, engulfed in flames and littered with debris from the plane.

During a press conference Monday evening, a Riverside firefighter said a family of five from San Jose were on the plane and had traveled to Southern California to attend a cheerleading camp at Disneyland before the incident occurred.

Authorities said one person on the plane survived the crash but was rushed for medical treatment at a local hospital.

Copyright 2017 FOX 11 Los Angeles.

Today's news:

The pilot was 80 something.

Speculation: 1) Sudden health issue. 2) Too slow to lower the nose after engine failure. 3) Elder, experienced pilots should all be banned.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      Today's news:

The pilot was 80 something. Elder, experienced pilots should all be banned.

Hope this is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
        Hope this is a joke.
        It probably is, but, by the same token, how quickly would you get into a 310 with an octogenarian at the controls?

Comment

Hope this is a joke.
          There is no joke regarding the age of this pilot.

And, there is no joke that at some imprecise point of age, people should not be pilots in command of airplanes.

Jokes do exist regarding current seniority policies in commercial aviation and regarding recommendations from the experts on this forum.

As to ATL's comment...it's dead on...96% serious and accurate...the remaining 4%...I guess that's up to interpretation.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
            It probably is, but, by the same token, how quickly would you get into a 310 with an octogenarian at the controls?

If I were in the right seat, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              There is no joke regarding the age of this pilot.

And, there is no joke that at some imprecise point of age, people should not be pilots in command of airplanes.

Jokes do exist regarding current seniority policies in commercial aviation and regarding recommendations from the experts on this forum.

As to ATL's comment...it's dead on...96% serious and accurate...the remaining 4%...I guess that's up to interpretation.

But you said "experienced pilots should all be banned."

That is a pretty blanket statement don't you think? I am 64, still flying my J-3 as well as the 74. Should I be banned from flying? Or it's just when you hit 80? Maybe 76 or 74? There are FAA medicals that are supposed to catch physical or mental deterioration.

Comment

But you said "experienced pilots should all be banned."

That is a pretty blanket statement don't you think? I am 64, still flying my J-3 as well as the 74. Should I be banned from flying? Or it's just when you hit 80? Maybe 76 or 74? There are FAA medicals that are supposed to catch physical or mental deterioration.
                Sorry to have tricked you. Although I am almost never sarcastic, I was being sarcastic about banning all pilots.

In addition, there's some other threads in this forum with all sorts of valuable, in-depth analysis about the effect of experience- I seem to recall that you thought I made an excellent post in one of them.

Comment

But you said "[COLOR=#333333][I]experienced pilots should all be banned."
                  No, he said "Elder, experienced pilots should all be banned."

So if you are either not elder or not experienced, you are good to go.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

If I were in the right seat, no problem.
                    Good for you. I'd search out other options, not least because I have exactly zero time in 310s.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                      Good for you. I'd search out other options, not least because I have exactly zero time in 310s.
                      I have a bunch, although 30 years ago and it was a Riley conversion with the 290 Lycs so on one it would still climb pretty nice.

Comment

I have a bunch, although 30 years ago and it was a Riley conversion with the 290 Lycs so on one it would still climb pretty nice.
                        Regardless, my bet is that the pilot's age is a significant contributing factor here, not that we don't have ATL's wise admission that his relative youngness might also botch an engine failure.

Comment

Working...
                        X