Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something fun for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by elaw View Post
    It's actually pretty ironic that 3 of the 5 colored regions on that gauge are marked with speeds, even though the gauge is there to provide better information that should relieve the pilot from having to view stall as something that is only speed-dependent.
    It might also be the reason why the pilots think this maneuver is ok, because they have plenty of airspeed...

It's actually pretty ironic that 3 of the 5 colored regions on that gauge are marked with speeds, even though the gauge is there to provide better information that should relieve the pilot from having to view stall as something that is only speed-dependent.
    Thanks!

I struggle with this...

Some years ago, it hit me that although an airplane can be stalled at any airspeed and attitude, it is kind of hard to stall it at a healthy airspeed and a healthy attitude.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    It might also be the reason why the pilots think this maneuver is ok, because they have plenty of airspeed...
    I know this is kind of nit-picky, but there's ironing if you read this comment from a slightly different context.

Like, Yeah, I imagine the pilots do THINK the maneuver is ok because they are MAKING SURE they have adequate airspeed, and probably paying attention to not pulling up relentlessly, because, it's actually not JUST the black and white matter of enough speed and instinctive thinking...there is usually a good bit more.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

You could also argue that in this particular case the maneuver apparently was ok, because no harm came to the aircraft, any property, or any person.

Or in other words, whether it was or was not okay is dependent on the attitude of the arguer.
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

You could also argue that in this particular case the maneuver apparently was ok, because no harm came to the aircraft, any property, or any person.
    Apologies, I am continuing to nit-pick:

I don't think you can say with absolute certainty that no drinks were spilled on any passengers...that's a very real risk with the remarkable maneuvers we are witnessing.

No, but there's no indication that any pax were spilled in the drink, so I'm calling it a win.

Eric Law

I just want to know if he kept the ball centered during those turns?

And just to be clear, I'm referring to the one in the turn and bank indicator AND NOTHING ELSE.

Eric Law

Excellent!

So, this is what happens when the autopilot fails: the dog stops guarding the autopilot off button, and assumes control.

Quote Originally Posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    This pilot if a son of a bitch. (and that's factual information)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

... the turn and bank indicator
    Even a dog would know better. It's the turn and slip indicator or the turn coordinator.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Oops!

(Insert dog/ball/fetching joke here to deflect attention...)

Eric Law

Well, one thing is for sure, he's sitting in the left seat so he's taking the "lead".
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Even a dog would know better. It's the turn and slip indicator or the turn coordinator.
    Errrrr.....If you are going to say that, then isn't it the turn and slip or skid indicator?....The ball is indicating if the bank matches the turn correctly.

I also am thinking that breed is known for it's cow hearding attributes...needed for 'improvisational cattle-dog airmanship'

Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    Errrrr.....If you are going to say that, then isn't it the turn and slip or skid indicator?....The ball is indicating if the bank matches the turn correctly.
    In Spanish we have only one name: deslizamiento. I never understood why there are 2 names for the same thing. Step on the ball and that's it.

In Spanish we have only one name: deslizamiento. I never understood why there are 2 names for the same thing. Step on the ball and that's it.
    Actually, I think this comes down to some technical insider jargon...and here "we" again ruin Bobby's great post:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_and_slip_indicator

In contrast to the T/S(Turn and Slip indicator), the TC's(Turn coordinators) gimbal is pitched up 30 degrees from the lateral axis. This causes the instrument to respond to roll as well as yaw. This allows the instrument to display a change more quickly as it will react to the change in roll before the aircraft has even begun to yaw. Although this instrument reacts to changes in the aircraft's roll, it does not display the roll attitude.

The man posts a beautiful YouTube...

...and what do the parlour-talking ass-hats do?

We ruin the thread.
    Beautiful video indeed, but I think the wank Offspring soundtrack ruined it already. I thought that song sucked when I was 13, now it just sounds silly.

Actually, I think this comes down to some technical insider jargon...and here "we" again ruin Bobby's great post:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_and_slip_indicator

In contrast to the T/S(Turn and Slip indicator), the TC's(Turn coordinators) gimbal is pitched up 30 degrees from the lateral axis. This causes the instrument to respond to roll as well as yaw. This allows the instrument to display a change more quickly as it will react to the change in roll before the aircraft has even begun to yaw. Although this instrument reacts to changes in the aircraft's roll, it does not display the roll attitude.
    I missed that when you posted it.
    That's a quite accurate description (except that I would have used "roll rate" instead of "roll" and "change in roll", but that would be completely splitting hairs so I won't even mention it. Oh, wait a second...)

However, you missed what I was saying. I wasn't talking about the 2 names for 2 similar but different instruments. We also have to names in Spanish for those: "Indicador de giros y ladeos" (T/S, horrible chose of words by the way) and "Coordinador de giros" (TC).

But you said "turn and slip or skid indicator" and there's where I said "In Spanish we have only one name [for skid and slip]: deslizamiento. I never understood why there are 2 names for the same thing. Step on the ball and that's it."

I missed that when you posted it.
    That's a quite accurate description (except that I would have used "roll rate" instead of "roll" and "change in roll", but that would be completely splitting hairs so I won't even mention it. Oh, wait a second...)

However, you missed what I was saying. I wasn't talking about the 2 names for 2 similar but different instruments. We also have to names in Spanish for those: "Indicador de giros y ladeos" (T/S, horrible chose of words by the way) and "Coordinador de giros" (TC).

But you said "turn and slip or skid indicator" and there's where I said "In Spanish we have only one name [for skid and slip]: deslizamiento. I never understood why there are 2 names for the same thing. Step on the ball and that's it."
    Ok, definitions, jargon, lumping, splitting and lost in translation In fact, if your bank is too shallow, the plane skids outward and 'upward'. Bank too steep- and you slip in and 'down'.

Comprende?

I say we compromise and call it the "are-you-using-the-right-amount-of-rudder indicator".

Eric Law