Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAO: Gabriel

I note the word "Slow" on Evan's photo.

Does that mean that a stall is caused by flying too slow?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
      REALLY GOOD pilots don't try to make their airplanes do things they're incapable of.
      Sometimes they do. The Elmendorf C-17 Air Force investigation called it "overconfidence" and "misplaced motivation". The investigation found that the pilot's overconfidence in executing an aggressive right-turn maneuver led to a low-altitude stall and subsequent crash, despite the warnings correctly provided by the aircraft's stall-warning system, to which neither the pilot nor any other crew member responded effectively.

Even good pilots are sometimes vulnerable to overconfidence and "misplaced motivation"...

Like these Spanish hotshots, I tend to think...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        ...good pilots...Spanish hotshots...it's just a bunch of reckless abandon.
        Fixed.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
          I note the word "Slow" on Evan's photo.

Does that mean that a stall is caused by flying too slow?
          Also.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

It's actually pretty ironic that 3 of the 5 colored regions on that gauge are marked with speeds, even though the gauge is there to provide better information that should relieve the pilot from having to view stall as something that is only speed-dependent.
            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

It's actually pretty ironic that 3 of the 5 colored regions on that gauge are marked with speeds, even though the gauge is there to provide better information that should relieve the pilot from having to view stall as something that is only speed-dependent.
              It might also be the reason why the pilots think this maneuver is ok, because they have plenty of airspeed...

Comment

Thanks!

I struggle with this...

Some years ago, it hit me that although an airplane can be stalled at any airspeed and attitude, it is kind of hard to stall it at a healthy airspeed and a healthy attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  It might also be the reason why the pilots think this maneuver is ok, because they have plenty of airspeed...
                  I know this is kind of nit-picky, but there's ironing if you read this comment from a slightly different context.

Like, Yeah, I imagine the pilots do THINK the maneuver is ok because they are MAKING SURE they have adequate airspeed, and probably paying attention to not pulling up relentlessly, because, it's actually not JUST the black and white matter of enough speed and instinctive thinking...there is usually a good bit more.

Comment

You could also argue that in this particular case the maneuver apparently was ok, because no harm came to the aircraft, any property, or any person.

Or in other words, whether it was or was not okay is dependent on the attitude of the arguer.

Eric Law

Comment

You could also argue that in this particular case the maneuver apparently was ok, because no harm came to the aircraft, any property, or any person.
                      Apologies, I am continuing to nit-pick:

I don't think you can say with absolute certainty that no drinks were spilled on any passengers...that's a very real risk with the remarkable maneuvers we are witnessing.

Comment

No, but there's no indication that any pax were spilled in the drink, so I'm calling it a win.

Eric Law

Comment

My next First Officer. https://www.facebook.com/Sky1HD/vide...9483362437985/

Comment

I just want to know if he kept the ball centered during those turns?

And just to be clear, I'm referring to the one in the turn and bank indicator AND NOTHING ELSE.

Eric Law

Comment

Excellent!

So, this is what happens when the autopilot fails: the dog stops guarding the autopilot off button, and assumes control.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                                This pilot if a son of a bitch. (and that's factual information)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                                X