Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elaw View Post
    ... the turn and bank indicator
    Even a dog would know better. It's the turn and slip indicator or the turn coordinator.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Oops!

(Insert dog/ball/fetching joke here to deflect attention...)
      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Well, one thing is for sure, he's sitting in the left seat so he's taking the "lead".
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          Even a dog would know better. It's the turn and slip indicator or the turn coordinator.
          Errrrr.....If you are going to say that, then isn't it the turn and slip or skid indicator?....The ball is indicating if the bank matches the turn correctly.

I also am thinking that breed is known for it's cow hearding attributes...needed for 'improvisational cattle-dog airmanship'
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            Errrrr.....If you are going to say that, then isn't it the turn and slip or skid indicator?....The ball is indicating if the bank matches the turn correctly.
            In Spanish we have only one name: deslizamiento. I never understood why there are 2 names for the same thing. Step on the ball and that's it.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

In Spanish we have only one name: deslizamiento. I never understood why there are 2 names for the same thing. Step on the ball and that's it.
              Actually, I think this comes down to some technical insider jargon...and here "we" again ruin Bobby's great post:

In contrast to the T/S(Turn and Slip indicator), the TC's(Turn coordinators) gimbal is pitched up 30 degrees from the lateral axis. This causes the instrument to respond to roll as well as yaw. This allows the instrument to display a change more quickly as it will react to the change in roll before the aircraft has even begun to yaw. Although this instrument reacts to changes in the aircraft's roll, it does not display the roll attitude.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

The man posts a beautiful YouTube...

...and what do the parlour-talking ass-hats do?

We ruin the thread.
                Beautiful video indeed, but I think the wank Offspring soundtrack ruined it already. I thought that song sucked when I was 13, now it just sounds silly.

Comment

Actually, I think this comes down to some technical insider jargon...and here "we" again ruin Bobby's great post:

In contrast to the T/S(Turn and Slip indicator), the TC's(Turn coordinators) gimbal is pitched up 30 degrees from the lateral axis. This causes the instrument to respond to roll as well as yaw. This allows the instrument to display a change more quickly as it will react to the change in roll before the aircraft has even begun to yaw. Although this instrument reacts to changes in the aircraft's roll, it does not display the roll attitude.
                  I missed that when you posted it.
                  That's a quite accurate description (except that I would have used "roll rate" instead of "roll" and "change in roll", but that would be completely splitting hairs so I won't even mention it. Oh, wait a second...)

However, you missed what I was saying. I wasn't talking about the 2 names for 2 similar but different instruments. We also have to names in Spanish for those: "Indicador de giros y ladeos" (T/S, horrible chose of words by the way) and "Coordinador de giros" (TC).

But you said "turn and slip or skid indicator" and there's where I said "In Spanish we have only one name [for skid and slip]: deslizamiento. I never understood why there are 2 names for the same thing. Step on the ball and that's it."

Comment

I missed that when you posted it.
                    That's a quite accurate description (except that I would have used "roll rate" instead of "roll" and "change in roll", but that would be completely splitting hairs so I won't even mention it. Oh, wait a second...)

However, you missed what I was saying. I wasn't talking about the 2 names for 2 similar but different instruments. We also have to names in Spanish for those: "Indicador de giros y ladeos" (T/S, horrible chose of words by the way) and "Coordinador de giros" (TC).

But you said "turn and slip or skid indicator" and there's where I said "In Spanish we have only one name [for skid and slip]: deslizamiento. I never understood why there are 2 names for the same thing. Step on the ball and that's it."
                    Ok, definitions, jargon, lumping, splitting and lost in translation In fact, if your bank is too shallow, the plane skids outward and 'upward'. Bank too steep- and you slip in and 'down'.

Comprende?

Comment

I say we compromise and call it the "are-you-using-the-right-amount-of-rudder indicator".
                      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                        I say we compromise and call it the "are-you-using-the-right-amount-of-rudder indicator".
                        Exactly. That's why I said "just step on the ball". Aerodynamically it is called sideslip angle (ángulo de deslizamiento). There is no sideskid angle. Having 2 names for that is like having 2 names of the AoA dependiing on whether your nose is pointing up or down. The same with sideslip and forward silp (both are deslizamiento). Never heard something like that in Spanish. You can use it to keep the ground track while changing your heading (like when you want to add drag during final approach or when you de-crab before touchdown) or you can use it to keep the heading while changing the ground track (a horrible way to align with the runway in my opinion).

Comment

Exactly. That's why I said "just step on the ball". Aerodynamically it is called sideslip angle (ángulo de deslizamiento). There is no sideskid angle. Having 2 names for that is like having 2 names of the AoA dependiing on whether your nose is pointing up or down. The same with sideslip and forward silp (both are deslizamiento). Never heard something like that in Spanish. You can use it to keep the ground track while changing your heading (like when you want to add drag during final approach or when you de-crab before touchdown) or you can use it to keep the heading while changing the ground track (a horrible way to align with the runway in my opinion).
                          If you drive a racing car too fast(even on a banked turn) it SKIDS outward...

If you are on an icy incline you SLIP downward.

In Englais, the words slip and skid have slightly different meanings- and would concur that they are a bit gray when it comes to airplane turns.

One other comment, we could call it the instrument of no purpose- as Evan reminds us that rudder pedals are NOT to be used except in close proximity to the runway.

Comment

If you drive a racing car too fast(even on a banked turn) it SKIDS outward...

If you are on an icy incline you SLIP downward.

In Englais, the words slip and skid have slightly different meanings- and would concur that they are a bit gray when it comes to airplane turns.

One other comment, we could call it the instrument of no purpose- as Evan reminds us that rudder pedals are NOT to be used except in close proximity to the runway.**
                            **On large transport category aircraft, the central purpose of rudder input is not turn coordination or turbulence abatement.

Comment

Working...
                            X