Kit lenses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit lenses.

Hello, Iīm considering upgrading from my beloved Fujifilm HS50 bridge camera to an entry level DSLR like Nikon D3200/5200 Canon T4/5i. This equipment is VERY expensive for me, and right now Iīm very happy with the versatility, size, hand feel of the HS50, but unfortunately as you can imagine, I canīt post here which is what I wanted to do from the beginning.

So having a budget of 700-800$, I could find a used body with a nikon 70-300 VR or Canon 70-300 IS and maybe a Nikon 35mm F1.8G or Canon 50mm F1.8 to cover the short range in the future. For what I have seen, kit lenses are just not good enough (slow focus, not sharp above 250mm, not fast, etc)

My questions are,

1.) Are kit lenses really not worth it with today's standards on this website?
    2.) Does the 70-300 VR o IS (around 450 $ used) have enough quality to get a good acceptance rate not only with best lighting conditionsŋ

I mean the upgrade is only good for me if that means quality is going to be good for posting, otherwise I will just keep enjoying and learning with my bridge until I can afford those expensive good telephoto lenses like Canon L line.. but there is no point spending 700 $ on camera and cheap lenses to post on Instagram

Iīm also considering in the meantime, instead of buying a dslr with cheap lenses, just get the FZ1000 for the same range and similar quality.

Thank you so much.

First off, welcome to the forums!

I'm not experienced with the upper line of lenses (Canon L, whatever Nikon has, etc.), but I'd say as long as you know what you're doing, kit lenses will work just fine. I've had my Canon 60D with the 18-135 that came with it and 55-250 that I've had for a bit longer, and have had plenty accepted on here with those.
    Maybe someone with more experience with higher end lenses could chime in to that?
    Remember, it's not just the equipment you're using. It's knowing how to use it and learning better post processing techniques.
    All you can really do is get out and shoot and work with different settings.
    Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by michaelgri View Post
      Hello, Iīm considering upgrading from my beloved Fujifilm HS50 bridge camera to an entry level DSLR like Nikon D3200/5200 Canon T4/5i. This equipment is VERY expensive for me, and right now Iīm very happy with the versatility, size, hand feel of the HS50, but unfortunately as you can imagine, I canīt post here which is what I wanted to do from the beginning.

So having a budget of 700-800$, I could find a used body with a nikon 70-300 VR or Canon 70-300 IS and maybe a Nikon 35mm F1.8G or Canon 50mm F1.8 to cover the short range in the future. For what I have seen, kit lenses are just not good enough (slow focus, not sharp above 250mm, not fast, etc)

My questions are,

1.) Are kit lenses really not worth it with today's standards on this website?
      2.) Does the 70-300 VR o IS (around 450 $ used) have enough quality to get a good acceptance rate not only with best lighting conditionsŋ

I mean the upgrade is only good for me if that means quality is going to be good for posting, otherwise I will just keep enjoying and learning with my bridge until I can afford those expensive good telephoto lenses like Canon L line.. but there is no point spending 700 $ on camera and cheap lenses to post on Instagram

Iīm also considering in the meantime, instead of buying a dslr with cheap lenses, just get the FZ1000 for the same range and similar quality.

Thank you so much.
      A decent used DSLR along with the kit lens(es) should be more than adequate for the majority of shots you see here. Much more important would be a) knowing how to use your gear properly, and b) not expecting too much for the conditions in which you are shooting.

The percentage of rejected images here which would have been accepted had the photographer simply had a better camera is relatively low (if I had to guess, I would say under 5%). Far more common is photographers with decent gear either not knowing how to use it properly, or trying to get images accepted that were taken in less than optimal conditions (at large distance, in poor light, etc..). Neither of those situations would be remedied by spending more on camera gear. Learning to make the best of what you have, and when is best to use it, will help you the most at improving your chances at having images accepted.

You'll eventually also need to know how to do a decent edit, but it helps a whole lot if you start with a quality image, so DSLR + kit lens + know how + good judgement = good start!

Comment

...and keep on asking questions if you need to. We are happy to help.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thank you everyone.

I will keep trying and learning with HS50, I do have fun with it but is very limited for websites like this. Then when I manage to save a bit, I think the D5100 with a 55-300 lens would be great to start! I just wanted to be sure it would be a good investment.

Comment

Hi Michael,
            I use the Nikon 55-300 all the time. Itīs a bit slow but it does the trick.
            My advice is to first, and above all, make sure you understand the focusing system of your camera: if the image is in focus, thatīs half of what you need. Second, shoot in RAW and make sure to spend time reading and maybe watching videos on how to edit your image. the D5100 should be enough to produce great images. good luck!

Comment

Forget about the Nikon D5000 Series. Either you get the D3300 (same sensor and performance as the D5000 Series) or the D7000 Series. I would also not choose the Nikon 55-300. Not because it is not good, but you get a better lens for basically the same price.

So, my suggestion:
              Nikon D3300 (350 Euro) + Tamron 70-300 VC (300 Euro).
              A brilliant combo for small budgets.

Comment

Working...
              X