No announcement yet.

The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow... assaulting passengers doesn't "reflect their values"? If the bar were set any lower, it would be lying on the floor.
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• ...airlines generally have not been good at screening for the best talent and screening out people who are not good at customer service...
      Not giving you 'pathological', Evan.

Who'd want to do customer service for an airline? The 'commitment' to customer service is
      Lip service only. There is no 'service' in the system.

The simple fact that you usually get no apology for lateness is a reflection of total burnout.

Oh geez, I guess they need us to get this crew out, eff it, well pull some poor schmuck off.

Plus the abuse from shitty passengers you get even when you do things right.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• - Can I have some ice for my soda?
        - Um, yes, but I would have to charge you for it.
        - What? Are you charging for ice?
        - Yes, ice is part of our Business, er, Economy Plus service.
        - But the ice will melt anyway. You are not going to make any revenue on that piece of ice. Instead of throwing it down the drain, why don't you just put it in my cap? And it is very hot in this seat. Look how I am sweating!!!
        - Yes, I am very sorry for that. But there's nothing I can do for you, unless you are willing to pay for it.

Something very similar to that happened to me last Sunday, with United, twice...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
          Not giving you 'pathological', Evan.

Who'd want to do customer service for an airline?
          a) People who reached adulthood yet never took responsibility for developing useful skills that would allow them a better life. Adult children, essentially.

b) People who did develop useful skills but can't find employment with those skills due to a rigged and under-regulated economy. Shaken out professionals, essentially.

c) People who are working toward a greater goal, such as people in the arts, who need a second job for steady income in the meantime.

d) Immigrants without higher education who cannot access the higher job market, or those with higher education who run up against embedded racism.

e) People who have developed mental or physical disabiities that prevent them from working at a better job.

f) People who lost their jobs and careers due to criminal convictions, drug and alcohol dependencies, serious behavioral issues or impropriety.

I think we are mostly seeing a) and f) here with a bit of e) thrown in as well.

But any of these people can reach their breaking point. There is a way to train people to recognize this and not react stupidly and to screen out those who can't be trained. It costs money though, money that could be propping up the quarterlies as profits instead...

We are trapped in the age of short term mentality. It forces people into stressful situations, and breeds a certain pathology.

Comment

• So, let's talk about Microsoft...

My company paid them some really good money for Windows and Office 365...but there was a problem...so I had to pause for an hour and on company time do a major (albeit routine) upgrade...(We're paying for software that helps productivity, right?).

The update completes and major major problems. Half my stuff isn't working half the time. (Most of my old fashioned non 365 non cloud stuff is working).

Now, lets look at the last 10 years....how many hours did my company pay me to do MS updates and security patches? How many hours has my company paid me to search out hidden functions that were so much more intuitive in Word Perfect or Lotus 123, or Harvard Graphics? How many previous crashes?

And the new 365 stuff- when it IS working, there's all sorts of extra 20 second delays while it checks in with Big Brother, and extra clicks, and things that weren't broken that were fixed and things that were working removed, yada yada yada.

It's a downright crime that we pay money for crappy, inefficient software that we have to fix- and which sometimes 'blows up' your machine.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              - Can I have some ice for my soda?
              - Um, yes, but I would have to charge you for it.
              - What? Are you charging for ice?
              - Yes, ice is part of our Business, er, Economy Plus service.
              - But the ice will melt anyway. You are not going to make any revenue on that piece of ice. Instead of throwing it down the drain, why don't you just put it in my cap? And it is very hot in this seat. Look how I am sweating!!!
              - Yes, I am very sorry for that. But there's nothing I can do for you, unless you are willing to pay for it.

Something very similar to that happened to me last Sunday, with United, twice...
              Why the unclear code language? Have you hired TeeVee and are keeping quiet since there are legal proceedings under way? I got a beer that says you were trying to weasel your way up into 'second class' and talking about your height.

Comment

• wow. just wow. i cannot understand how that muther effer wasn't arrested and charged with assault! can you imagine if a pax pushed an airline employee to the ground knocking them out?!?!?!?! pax get arrested for simply not listening to some horsecrap about sitting down but airline employees get to assault us. yeah, we're on a good path.

as for the quality of the employees, with the salaries they are being paid they should be demanding better people. one major airline in miami pays its counter agents 60k per year. not too shabby for a job that involves handing out tickets and tagging bags....

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                  wow. just wow...
                  Exactly. Will all that's going on in the world, NYT (one of the world's premiere newspapers, just ask them) is reduced to offering up events from 2 years ago as news.

Comment

• ...because the lawsuit was just filed, which resulted in release of the video, which is pretty much what makes the story.
                    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                      i cannot understand how that muther effer wasn't arrested and charged with assault!
                      Actually, counselor, he was, the case is State of Texas vs Alejandro N. Anastasia, Harris County #148497301010-3. The charge was "Injury to Elderly", and the case was dismissed.

Comment

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
                        ...because the lawsuit was just filed, which resulted in release of the video, which is pretty much what makes the story.
                        Which brings up another question, namely why the victim (mind you, himself an attorney) took this long to sue and why he's asking for relatively little. I have a suspicion on that but I will keep it to myself for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                          Why the unclear code language? Have you hired TeeVee and are keeping quiet since there are legal proceedings under way? I got a beer that says you were trying to weasel your way up into 'second class' and talking about your height.
                          I owe you a beer, "second class" was just the emergency overwing exit row that remained unoccupied for the duration of both flights, and I was showing her that my femur, simply and beyond my will, would not fit between the seat backs. The first plane was an EMB-145 which had less legroom than a school bus. Funny part was when she asked me to take my leg out of the aisle because it was a risk for her. I really wanted to comply with, but I can't beat geometry.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Unfortunately Gabriel, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to successfully argue with stupid.
                            Last edited by brianw999; 2017-06-16, 08:46.
                            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                              I owe you a beer, "second class" was just the emergency overwing exit row that remained unoccupied for the duration of both flights

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                                I thought you had worked customer service?

If they let Gabe in the exit seat- the crazy tall dude who DID pay for the other special seat(s), is now going to be cheated (and may get REAL ugly about it about it, and post on FB and twitter and have a friend in the media who makes the story go viral).

(See the problem?)

I though you flew a good bit too?

Ever see someone pissed off because they are checking roll-aboard bags for free at the gate AFTER another customer paid $25.00 to leave of his roll-aboard bag at the check in counter?

Not really fair either, is it?

And yes, I have witnessed this.

(And again, it is the SYSTEM screwing over the dude who didn't know he could get off free by volunteering to gate check his bag)...not the poor gate agent who has to 'fix' this crap several times a day...could drive someone to be downright bitchy.

Comment

Working...
                                X