The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
    But air travel has never been safer, so no worries.
    That is of some significance.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      That is of some significance.
      It is... at least here in the aviation SAFETY forum, for God's sake!

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

The Enlightenment is a bell curve, as it turns out, with the American Constitution sitting somewhere near the top and 2018 clutching to the far slope, the place where democracy destroys itself and capitalism consumes itself.
        Wow! I REALLY like this.

Comment

• The 'ironing' are the posters who are angry that airlines treat them like children and yet those same posters continue to make excuses for passengers who act like children. Apparently everyone who enters an airport must be led by the hand because they're too stupid to follow simple rules. This is the logical evolution of the entitlement generation.....I'm not responsible for anything in my life!

Forget about the fact that every Customs form for any country I've been to asks you to physically check a box that asks "ARE YOU BRINGING ANY FRUITS, VEGETABLES, NUTS OR SEEDS INTO THE COUNTRY". This lady takes it one step further because she's a participant in Global Entry and clearly knows the rules. My guess is that's why Customs brought the hammer down, because normally hey just seize it with a warning.

If you're so dumb and infantile that you don't want any accountability then stop complaining when companies treat you like sheep.
          Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

• Originally posted by Vnav View Post
            The 'ironing' are the posters who are angry that airlines treat them like children and yet those same posters continue to make excuses for passengers who act like children. Apparently everyone who enters an airport must be led by the hand because they're too stupid to follow simple rules. This is the logical evolution of the entitlement generation.....I'm not responsible for anything in my life!

Forget about the fact that every Customs form for any country I've been to asks you to physically check a box that asks "ARE YOU BRINGING ANY FRUITS, VEGETABLES, NUTS OR SEEDS INTO THE COUNTRY". This lady takes it one step further because she's a participant in Global Entry and clearly knows the rules. My guess is that's why Customs brought the hammer down, because normally hey just seize it with a warning.

If you're so dumb and infantile that you don't want any accountability then stop complaining when companies treat you like sheep.

^^^^^Exactly!^^^^^

Comment

Forget about the fact that every Customs form for any country I've been to asks you to physically check a box that asks "ARE YOU BRINGING ANY FRUITS, VEGETABLES, NUTS OR SEEDS INTO THE COUNTRY".
              And I've always taken that box to mean "YOU ARE NOT IMPORTING FRUITS, VEGETABLES, NUTS OR SEEDS". When you are on a plane and are given an apple, I completely understand why you might nor think that customs form box applies.

It's this punitive lack of understanding that these cobbled-together rules and regulations are immensely confusing. It's an insider perspective.

One rather gloomy day in Tenerife, a controller used the word 'take-off ' and a pilot took that to mean 'cleared for take-off'. Bad things happened. Now they use the word 'departure' because 'take-off' can be confusing.

When people make obvious errors, things are probably not as clear as you think. Revise the form. Require FA's to inform people not to carry food off the plane, and why. The solution is to fix what is confusing, not to punish the confused.

Comment

And I've always taken that box to mean "YOU ARE NOT IMPORTING FRUITS, VEGETABLES, NUTS OR SEEDS". When you are on a plane and are given an apple, I completely understand why you might nor think that customs form box applies.

It's this punitive lack of understanding that these cobbled-together rules and regulations are immensely confusing. It's an insider perspective.

One rather gloomy day in Tenerife, a controller used the word 'take-off ' and a pilot took that to mean 'cleared for take-off'. Bad things happened. Now they use the word 'departure' because 'take-off' can be confusing.

When people make obvious errors, things are probably not as clear as you think. Revise the form. Require FA's to inform people not to carry food off the plane, and why. The solution is to fix what is confusing, not to punish the confused.

What part of FRUITS and VEGETABLES were not in English for you? In this case an apple being a fruit with seeds in it. One bad apple and you could clobber a large money crop for years to come. Ummmm the tropical fruit fly comes to mind living here in the sunshine state. Caused millions of dollars of damage to the citrus crop. If she had done it in Australia, she would have also gone to jail for the day!

Comment

Apparently everyone who enters an airport must be led by the hand because they're too stupid to follow simple rules. This is the logical evolution of the entitlement generation.....I'm not responsible for anything in my life!
                  I'm afraid it might even be worse than that. There are large numbers of people who seem to honestly believe that rules (ANY rules) just don't apply to them and only apply to all the "sheeple" around them. I'm not sure where that attitude came from, but I hesitate to attribute it to mere stupidity, since stupidity is not normally deliberate, unlike this mindset of being miles above any kind of law, regulation, rule etc, which has a definite element of forethought to it. It's also not confined to air travel, I see it everywhere...

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                    There are large numbers of people who seem to honestly believe that rules (ANY rules) just don't apply to them and only apply to all the "sheeple" around them.
                    Or a very close corollary: that thinking is just too much work or takes too much time, and should be done for them by someone else.
                    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                      What part of FRUITS and VEGETABLES were not in English for you? In this case an apple being a fruit with seeds in it. One bad apple and you could clobber a large money crop for years to come. Ummmm the tropical fruit fly comes to mind living here in the sunshine state. Caused millions of dollars of damage to the citrus crop. If she had done it in Australia, she would have also gone to jail for the day!
                      I notice that none of you guys want to talk about your highly trained, epitome-of-professional rampies and careful biohazard handling procedures and autoclaves. If the stuff is that bad, I don't think we should be flying thousands per week into the US and I'm sure the trash haulers are better than the bag chuckers who seem to have a pretty good theft rate.
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• as 3we has said, maybe not so eloquently, every day, tens of thousands of pieces of fruit are flown in to the US as part of catered meals. i would love to file a FOIA to BCIS and ask them what particular regulations are in place regarding the fruit that is brought in onboard. in fact, i'm going to do just that. i will post my FOIA and any response i receive from the geniuses.

don't get me wrong here, i'm not defending this woman or the practice. but i goddamguaranteeya there is a double standard here. also, what proof is there that the friggin apple wasn't sent from the US to begin with on the outbound flight? sure, it's unlikely that a transatlantic flight was double catered, but who knows???

Comment

• This should keep you busy for a couple of hours. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...ulated_garbage

Comment

This should keep you busy for a couple of hours. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...ulated_garbage
                            I asked about PERSONNEL and actual practice, not government DOCUMENTS. Show me that rampie international garbage haulers can consistently RECITE this document and THEN I'll be impressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                              I asked about PERSONNEL and actual practice, not government DOCUMENTS. Show me that rampie international garbage haulers can consistently RECITE this document and THEN I'll be impressed.
                              I can only speak from my personal experience. Florida is especially tough when it comes to agriculture enforcement. When an Atlas aircraft arrives in MIA from an international flight, as soon as the crew deplanes cleaners are on board. All international garbage is placed in a red garbage bag. There are special dumpsters at the UDSA site and these are then sent to the incinerator for disposal. I will also tell you last my last 5 years at Atlas I was based in Anchorage, Alaska. They do the same thing there, and I am pretty sure Alaska is not a really big agriculture state! Lot's of fish and animals, but vegetables not so much! There have been more than one Atlas pilot fined for being stupid and bringing fruit off the aircraft to take to the hotel. (Most pilot's are cheap you know).

Comment

I can only speak from my personal experience. Florida is especially tough when it comes to agriculture enforcement. When an Atlas aircraft arrives in MIA from an international flight, as soon as the crew deplanes cleaners are on board. All international garbage is placed in a red garbage bag. There are special dumpsters at the UDSA site and these are then sent to the incinerator for disposal. I will also tell you last my last 5 years at Atlas I was based in Anchorage, Alaska. They do the same thing there, and I am pretty sure Alaska is not a really big agriculture state! Lot's of fish and animals, but vegetables not so much! There have been more than one Atlas pilot fined for being stupid and bringing fruit off the aircraft to take to the hotel. (Most pilot's are cheap you know).
                                Thank you for the information.

Including the stories of YOU GUYS partaking of the forbidden fruit!

Comment

Working...
                                X