The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
    The only thing where I am sure is that United never used this airport. But, as we all know, only the database knows the real truth.

Maybe, as a guest?

PS: I still can't believe that in eight weeks United will have deleted this longhaul fleet on Planet Earth:
    UA-B744. Munoz has decided they'll all die at November 1st

And I don't yet understand it. What do they fly instead, crystal clear, the B773ER. Which was even my recommendation. But only before the B748i was invented, in 2011. Back then, Munoz has not been chief of the fleet. But why didn't he stop the bad evolution.

One anecdote (and now I open my personal aviation logbook for you, which goes back to the year 2011):
    UA 895, from O'Hare to Chek Lap Kok, with 12542 Kilometer (6772 sm) was one of the longest WorldNonstops, with B744 in 15 Std 20 min. Since a few years, they do no longer use the B744 for this route. The result is:

In January 2017, UA 895 is flown in UA B777s, and that's almost 1 hour slower than the original 2011 solution (!).

Are 777s really so much slower than 747s? I mean, there must be a reason why President Obama did not ask for a 777 as his company car. Quite the contrary. I think he was sad when he had to leave his 747.
    And I can fully understand him. 777 never was a full replacement for the Queen of the Skies. And I am happy that LH shares that opinion with me...

747 is a legend, since more than 40 years. And you don't replace a legend who's in the company since more than 40 years.
    What?

Comment

• Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
      Are 777s really so much slower than 747s?
      B-747 Mmo: M 0.92
      B-777 Mmo: M 0.89
      A-380 Mmo: M 0.89
      A-340 Mmo: M 0.86
      A-330 Mmo: M 0.86

747 is a legend, since more than 40 years. And you don't replace a legend who's in the company since more than 40 years.
      They will. And since Boeing is discontinuing the production after only 133 airframes delivered (including the last 18 to be delivered, which is all the backlog that is left after a net of minus 5 orders in 2017), it seems that United is not the only airline NOT in love with the 747 anymore (at least from a business case point of view), and, with no more development or derivatives insight, even LH will get rid of them sooner or later. The 777-Max will be significantly more efficient than the current 777, which in turn is significantly more efficient than the 747, which we all love, but whose queendom is ending.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Today's headline...

I'm not sure if the linky is right- here's the story: Airline Excludes Family From Flight, Forcing Them To Pay $4000 For Tickets

AND, Air Canada this time.

Cue op the ole ATL vs. Evan argument...I gave you guys a fair chunk of change...does it count for SOMETHING?

...or did the customer genuinely muck it up and deserve what they got?
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Do you intentionally always give the wrong link or what? Do you realize that your link ends in ss_in-threat-to-boeing%2C-chinese.html?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
            Do you intentionally always give the wrong link or what? Do you realize that your link ends in ss_in-threat-to-boeing%2C-chinese.html?
            My opinion re: that link is that Comac is developing the world's first 160-seat, single-aisle "jumbo jet".

Comment

Do you intentionally always give the wrong link or what? Do you realize that your link ends in ss_in-threat-to-boeing%2C-chinese.html?
              Always? Did I ever tell you about absolute statements.

Indeed, expeletive Yahoo!'s new news methodology may have resulted in a goofy link or two. But I think the link to United's losses over Harvey was correct, and not too much of a stretch that it migh result in more 'great' United service.

I did notice the URL, which matched the SECOND article below Air Canada tripping up a family...checked it twice.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

It looks like the chemtrails are starting to have the desired effect...
                Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  Always? Did I ever tell you about absolute statements.
                  Sorry.
                  Do you intentionally almost always give the wrong link or what? Do you realize that your link ends in ss_in-threat-to-boeing%2C-chinese.html?
                  Fixed 3WE's style.

I did notice the URL, which matched the SECOND article below Air Canada tripping up a family...checked it twice.
                  Well, whatever. I can't find it. Not even using the search function available in that Yahoo page.
                  Next time, if you want to discuss about Air Canada tripping up a family, try with the link about Air Canada tripping up a family instead of the link of the second article below that.

Comment

• http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...kets-1.4280985
                    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• I found the last statement in the article somewhat full of ironing.

Originally posted by thivakaran

"I'm never travelling on Air Canada again," says Thivakaran. "Even if I was on my death bed and I needed immediate treatment in U.S. (bolding mine-ATLcrew), I'd rather die than go on Air Canada."

Comment

Well, whatever. I can't find it. Not even using the search function available in that Yahoo page.
                        Next time, if you want to discuss about Air Canada tripping up a family, try with the link about Air Canada tripping up a family instead of the link of the second article below that.
                        This is a thread about customer service.

I gave you a link that worked for me.

I then took a moment to double check it.

Not only that, I went the extra yard and gave context so that a person (like elaw) could STILL search out the article.

Given what you paid me for this service, quit your bitching.

Typical from a dude who expects more room on the plane than I get, but doesn't think he should have to pay for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                          I gave you a link that worked for me.

I then took a moment to double check it.

Not only that, I went the extra yard and gave context so that a person (like elaw) could STILL search out the article.

Given what you paid me for this service...
                          Are you a consultant?

เปดประสบการณใหมในการใชงานบน สลอตเวบตรง ของเราทน มทางเขาใหมลาสดทสามารถใหนกพนนไดรบความสะดวก และความสนกกนได

(please let me know if the link takes you to some unrelated joke instead)

Comment

Are you a consultant?

[..]
                            Hm. You think that he is a corporate consultant? I don't think so. He knows ALOT about aviation, for me almost too much to only be a consultant.. In my eyes he either is independent or, but that should be a detail which I should know, since 2008...
                            he works for an airline.
                            The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                            The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                            And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                            This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                              What?
                              Hm.

Comment

B-747 Mmo: M 0.92
                                B-777 Mmo: M 0.89
                                A-380 Mmo: M 0.89
                                A-340 Mmo: M 0.86
                                A-330 Mmo: M 0.86

They will. And since Boeing is discontinuing the production after only 133 airframes delivered (including the last 18 to be delivered, which is all the backlog that is left after a net of minus 5 orders in 2017), it seems that United is not the only airline NOT in love with the 747 anymore (at least from a business case point of view), and, with no more development or derivatives insight, even LH will get rid of them sooner or later. The 777-Max will be significantly more efficient than the current 777, which in turn is significantly more efficient than the 747, which we all love, but whose queendom is ending.
                                Hm. So, you second what I've said about the speed of the B773ER?

But you n me know where we also in the future can find some 747s or 777s:

KL-B773ER
                                AC-B773ER
                                United B772ER
                                and last but not least
                                LH-B748i

I had a rough guess even without your help. Why had President Obama owned a 747 as his company car, and not a 777. Surely not because .. the 777 is one or two dollars cheaper than the 747. I don't think that the price for one 747 unit is a criterion which were important for Obama. But Airspeed might have been one criterion why Obama has not repealed the VC-25.

At least if it concerns one airport in South America, the 747 will stay (afaik)! ...

PS:
                                even LH will get rid of them sooner or later.
                                Concerning the Yankee Lima, I have to disappoint you, Gabriel. She has been produced for LH and she's been sent into the air by the FAA on
                                February 6th 2014. And now you have to believe me. 747s who are owned and flown by LH can become 25 years old, in good health.

Now. Let me ask you, what are your plans for February 6th in the year 2040?!

And still for Gabriel, and everybody who is interested in it.. 133, so what did you count, all orders for B748i and B748F combined, at the end of August 2017? At this moment, I have a source which says 47 B748i plus 88 B748F, for me that makes 135. But that's not a thing that we should argue about.

I like to say that LH is not responsible for the demise of 747 orders, and "we" have never been responsible for that, not since 1970. Quite in contrary!
                                Since the 747-800 has been invented in 2011, I'm wondering why until today not a single B748 has been ordered by
                                UA
                                DL
                                or
                                AA.

Imho, there is only 1 answer. The B748i is the second biggest passenger jet on earth today, afaik, concerning MTOW and pax capacity.

Is it true that only very few airlines on this planet today are able to 100% fill a B748i?
                                And no US-American flag carrier is among these longtime 747 customers?

That seems to be true, but that'll be a fact that I'll have to learn. I still know 747s which were painted completely in orange:
                                How many 747 operators were there in the USA when I became an aviation enthusiast?
                                Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-09-14, 21:10. Reason: I have to disappoint you, Gabriel.

Comment

Working...
                                X