The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
    I challenge you to walk up to an angry bull and call it an angry bull. If it ends badly, does that mean it was not an angry bull?
    Hey, but you can then blame the bull!!! (is anybody getting my point?)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      After I got a boarding pass with seat A, I can go to a kiosk and change my seat to B. Now seat A becomes available for someone else but I can still keep that old, now not current, boarding pass with my name and the seat A. However, that one,would be rejected when scanned a the gate for boarding. The only ways that this can happen then is that I scan the board in pass B and then try to seat in A showing the old one, or that I scan A, it gets rejected, but such signal is missed by the gate agent who lets me in.
      You, sir, are a very devious person!
      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Hey, but you can then blame the bull!!! (is anybody getting my point?)
        Yes we're getting your point, and OT but as we all know, the bull gets blamed way too often. And that problem seems to be getting worse by the day.

Eric Law

Comment

• I'm not saying this (probably) was a technological problem vs. a procedural/customer-service/psychological problem, but one wonders how this and other similar situations might have panned out if at least one of the cabin crew were carrying a tablet computer showing who was assigned to each seat? Of course a piece of paper could do the same but it's important that the info be current up to the minute which can be hard with that kind of media.

Eric Law

Comment

• I took 8 flights in the last 4 days, and in 3 of them we have the FA making a PA like "We are missing Mr John Doe, is John Doe on board?" and, surely enough, in all 3 cases Mr Doe was on board. That is how secure the scanning goes. It is very easy to miss a mis-scanned pax.

By the way, in that airline seat assignment is never an issue. They eliminated all seat assignment issues by eliminating seat assignment.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

(is anybody getting my point?)
              In general, folks are not acknowledging each other’s points...what, you want special treatment?
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                I doubt that. If things went as far as an internal security review, including the airline demanding this 5'3" "elderly" woman explain herself or be banned from the carrier, I have a feeling more went on than we're being told. I can tell you I've seen seasoned citizens become a lot more aggressive than one might expect, particularly where adverse reactions to medications are involved. "We" all remember how quickly UA folded with Dao, they're not folding here, in fact, they seem to be going on the offensive, which tells me they have something on this sweet, little "elderly couple".
                You certainly can't rule out the possibility that the United crew were justified here, any more than you can rule out that Capt. Marvin Renslow was pulling up to avoid an alien spacecraft. I'll grant you that.

Strange though that none of the passengers on the flight have reported to the media how an irate woman in the back of the plane threatened and then violently assaulted the flight crew. Strange too, that, after violently assaulting the flight crew, she was not arrested. It almost makes you think she didn't violently assault anyone or make any overt threats.

Originally posted by Forbes
                What is unclear is if the elderly couple were considered a threat, why air marshals, TSA, local police or other security personnel were not contacted.
                But you are right, we don't know for a fact what happened and the media is an unnreliable window to peer through. We, could however, speculate—if speculation is still allowed on this forum. If so, I would speculate that this was simply the breaking point for a crewmember who deals with these multiple seat assignments and ticked off passengers on a routine basis, but who can't afford to tell United where they can stick it. I would further speculate that United doesn't give a toss about the mental stress they are causing in their merciless race to the bottom, and knows these events will not affect their monopolized market share and, in any case, will be forgotten by the next news cycle. (Does that mean I 'disdain' the industry? Think of it this way: if the Nazi's took over the US, and I showed disdain for the Nazis, would that mean I have disdain for America? Or would that mean I have disdain for those who currently control it, who debase it and turn it into a living flightmare?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  You certainly can't rule out the possibility that the United crew were justified here, any more than you can rule out that Capt. Marvin Renslow was pulling up to avoid an alien spacecraft. I'll grant you that.
                  What was that you said about hyperbole being a bad thing? Remind me, will ya?

Comment

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
                    That may well be true, but if it is, United should start telling their side of the story.
                    Why? It will convince absolutely nobody.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                      What was that you said about hyperbole being a bad thing? Remind me, will ya?
                      Actually, that wasn't meant to be hyperbole, just comparative analogy. I think the odds that the United crew was acting justly is about that remote.

So, I'm on the subway today, then the tram, then the bus, and I'm (apparently) on surveillance video the entire time. So why aren't we doing this with airliners? I realize people react badly to being "spied on", but they are already putting up with this on every other form of public transportation. Or are they...

I wonder if United will release this passenger's IFE spycam video.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                        So why aren't we doing this with airliners?
                        simple: because it would cost $8,000,00.00 per plane (special pricing for FAA approved devices) and it would cost fuel to carry the extra weight (yes, the magazines weigh FAR more but they make money so they stay).

Comment

• This whole seat assignment brew haha makes me appreciate the SouthWest model of group boarding. Once ones ass is inserted into a seat, that's pretty much all she wrote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                            ...SouthWest model of group boarding...
                            You mean the one where it's a huge mystery as to how your boarding number is assigned (the linkage to check-in time is pretty weak)

Also, how about when your flight is canceled so you lose your PAID priority boarding on the first TOTALLY FULL flight and then get it back on the second flight with an extremely EMPTY airplane.

BASTARDS!
                            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                              You mean the one where it's a huge mystery as to how your boarding number is assigned (the linkage to check-in time is pretty weak)

Also, how about when your flight is canceled so you lose your PAID priority boarding on the first TOTALLY FULL flight and then get it back on the second flight with an extremely EMPTY airplane.

BASTARDS!
                              wait! what? SWA isn't perfect? holy shit! i thought the entire world was supposed to be modeled after them and jet blows...i mean blew...er, blue.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                                wait! what? SWA isn't perfect? holy shit! i thought the entire world was supposed to be modeled after them and jet blows...i mean blew...er, blue.
                                As an avid fan of SWA, I will state that I think their customer service is slightly better...their fares...slightly worse. I don't mind the cattle chute, but the more I fly them it's harder to get that window seat, regardless of my attempt to check in 23 hours and 59 minutes before the flight, unless I pay.

Yes, keep the mirror handy when pointing fingers.

PS: Can't quite remember, are they on "the" no fly list?

Comment

Working...
                                X