Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 110 of 110

Thread: The United debarcle

  1. #101
    Super Moderator brianw999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent. UK.
    Posts
    11,576

    Default

    Possibly slightly off topic but connected so to speak....
    I was flying home to the UK from Orlando and was a few pounds overweight on the hold baggage, for a few pounds read 5lb. The airline (Monarch) wanted to charge me a stupid fee of around 100$ stating that it was calculated on 1% per pound of the first class fare. I thought that was a rather clever trick given that Monarch was an all economy seat charter airline that doesn't have any first class seats.
    I agreed to pay but told them that they would have to bill me at home as I didn't have any money left after having spent it all in America. They said they could accept a credit card but I didn't have one in those days. (True)
    You'll have to bill me.
    Then they said they would accept travelers cheques but I didn't have any (True).
    You'll have to bill me.
    Then they said they would accept a debit card but I didn't have one. (Actually, not strictly true but it would have put me overdrawn, but they didn't know that).
    You'll have to bill me.
    All this arguing took 30 minutes to check in two people so the clerk asked us to move aside which I refused to do on the grounds that we had not checked in fully. Clerk went to find a manager. Manager arrived, said that 5 lbs was just over two kilograms and really wasn't worth arguing about, handed me our boarding cards and wished us a pleasant flight.

    Sometimes, if you dig your heels in you win. I heard later that the clerk was wrong anyway. She had read 5lbs but calculated it as 5 kg. We never did get billed either.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !


  2. #102
    Member ATLcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    ...but, I will side with Evan that I at least THINK I'd pay a little more for some 'reasonable and fair customer service'.
    This may very well be true for you and Evan, but doesn't seem the case for most people. Case in point: WalMart.

  3. #103
    Member ATLcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    Possibly slightly off topic but connected so to speak....
    I was flying home to the UK from Orlando and was a few pounds overweight on the hold baggage, for a few pounds read 5lb. The airline (Monarch) wanted to charge me a stupid fee of around 100$ stating that it was calculated on 1% per pound of the first class fare. I thought that was a rather clever trick given that Monarch was an all economy seat charter airline that doesn't have any first class seats.
    I agreed to pay but told them that they would have to bill me at home as I didn't have any money left after having spent it all in America. They said they could accept a credit card but I didn't have one in those days. (True)
    You'll have to bill me.
    Then they said they would accept travelers cheques but I didn't have any (True).
    You'll have to bill me.
    Then they said they would accept a debit card but I didn't have one. (Actually, not strictly true but it would have put me overdrawn, but they didn't know that).
    You'll have to bill me.
    All this arguing took 30 minutes to check in two people so the clerk asked us to move aside which I refused to do on the grounds that we had not checked in fully. Clerk went to find a manager. Manager arrived, said that 5 lbs was just over two kilograms and really wasn't worth arguing about, handed me our boarding cards and wished us a pleasant flight.

    Sometimes, if you dig your heels in you win. I heard later that the clerk was wrong anyway. She had read 5lbs but calculated it as 5 kg. We never did get billed either.
    Never mind all that. Orlando without a credit card, I want to hear more about that.

  4. #104
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLcrew View Post
    This may very well be true for you and Evan, but doesn't seem the case for most people. Case in point: WalMart.
    Damn...I hate it when facts get in the way, and your expletive handle on reality! I threaten you with shrubberies!

    You know, you can't even buy a good ole Playmate cooler or decent lawn sprinkler there...instead there's a cheap(er) substitute- with some likelihood of breaking in the first few uses. When's THAT congressional hearing?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  5. #105
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    As much as I joke about absolute statements, it would appear that you are the one resisting the obvious.

    The system does work...every day.
    Oh yeah, for them it does. Or rather, the system would appear to work for them, except that it isn't a system, it's the absence of a system. There is no system for assuring in advance that no flight is overbooked and that all deadheading employees are booked ahead of time. That is what's obvious here. So, lacking such a system, they merely 'oversell', hoping that somehow ( via a 'procedure' involving underpaid, stressed out gate agents pleading with irate customers) it will all work out, magically, forever.

    Until one day, inevitably, someone becomes mad as hell and isn't gonna take it anymore. Then who loses? The guy? Oh hell no. The brand loses. The brand, which is built up through very expensive 'brand messaging' and 'brand experience', suffers a very damaging bit of 'brand erosion' and it will require a heap of 'brand investment' to regain that lost 'brand equity'. Some of that loss will be felt in lost revenues but a lot will be felt in investor aversion, as a 2-3 point drop in share prices wipes hundreds of millions of dollars off the company valuation, and that will be felt by every employee with stock included as part of their compensation.

    So. great system. Punishes the passengers. Punishes the employees. Devaluates the company. Disgraces society.

    But otherwise it seems to work...

  6. #106
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    So. great system. Punishes the passengers. Punishes the employees. [Disconcur on devaluation]. Disgraces society.

    But otherwise it seems to work...
    Slightly strong and embellished (especially one day after "The March for Science") but I'll give you a qualified Concur.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  7. #107
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    [Disconcur on devaluation].
    True. Maybe, when the US Dept of Justice has gifted you with a virtual monopoly, the investor class are a pack of wolves and airline customers are mostly sheeple, nothing can hurt you for more than a minute.

    Which is why we have anti-trust laws. Or had, anyway, back in the days of representative government...

    UAL stock has already recouped all of the losses from last week.

  8. #108
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    UAL stock has already recouped all of the losses from last week.
    Yes...

    I'm going somewhere in a few weeks and they were far and away the best choice schedule-wise (along with being price competitive with other carriers).

    But, I better take Bobbie's advice, get my boarding passes at the airport and then closely study the COC on the back.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  9. #109
    Super Moderator brianw999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent. UK.
    Posts
    11,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLcrew View Post
    Never mind all that. Orlando without a credit card, I want to hear more about that.
    This was 15 - 20 years ago before I was earning the better wage that I eventually ended up on. I had got into previous trouble with credit cards and swore that I would never have another one. I only got eventually got one 3 years ago. The act of ownership improves your credit rating and I also get Avios air miles when I use it. Even so, I only use it when I can pay it off within 28 days. If I haven't got the funds to buy something then I don't get it. Happily a reasonable pension and a good lump sum has made life reasonably comfortable
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !


  10. #110
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    [American Airlines]

    This one is great! We see a passenger directly threaten a flight crew...gray area...blah blah blah...

    https://gma.yahoo.com/american-airli...pstories.html#
    A little bummed that no one has commented on this one...lots of angles.

    Some newer reports are: Maybe the gal was way out of line...a big double-wide stroller in an overhead bin?!?!?...c'mon...and then she throws a fit.

    Conversely, the new story is that the FA 'ripped' the stroller from the overhead bin- with attitude- narrowly missing the gal and her kid'. IF true, I'd say that's similarly naughty (no, not caught on the film (or at least the film we are getting to see)).

    ...and more blame for the gate agents...perhaps the stroller lady was not briefed?...Conversely, she could have had a thorough briefing and chose to ignore it.

    So many questions...that the media is not smart enough to address.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •