Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/Guff/videos...187538?sfns=mo

Just another day of cheap and fast travel. Yes, Amtrak has THEIR bad days too.
    Here on this platform there do not exist all to many people who'd call United Airlines their favorite airline, as I assume.. The next step would be to publish an avatar which were able to emphasize that... ..... And I've NEVER seen something like a UA-B744 in Battleship Gray as an avatar here in this forum. Or have you, during the last 11 years?

And why is that so?

I have an assumption. You never during the last 11 years said to me which would be your corner on this little planet. You don't have to, or whisper, or leave it as your secret.

But, I don't know, are all former Continental Air passengers now enthusiastic for UA? That does not happen automatically, as I assume..

PS: Another assumption. I know that you are always a little bit older than me, two or three years. So probably you are the one to tell me if since 1970 one passenger has ever died in a LH 747. I'm too young to say that, even with that nickname. LH is member of the 747 club since 1970. Back on topic. I have found an United 747 with dead passengers. But that was more than 30 years ago. I was not on board that flight. But was that..
    The United Debarcle?

I've partly gone through that link, after I watched it multiple times on TV. After all I wonder if 346 souls had survived in a different a/c type other than type 747. But you can call me biased. I prefer what Evan calls human-ness, if that contains a Boeing 747 Flight Captain with 28,000 flight hours who is able to return to Honolulu with his 747-100 with one door less than when he took off, and all that with a smooth as silk normal (!) landing at PHNL.
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2019-10-03, 02:37. Reason: The 747-100 was not fail-safe. Sutter always mentioned that on TV..
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/Guff/videos...187538?sfns=mo

Just another day of cheap and fast travel. Yes, Amtrak has THEIR bad days too.
      Does Amtrak have their good days?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
        Of my handful of trips, things were pretty much on time.

As to the video, it seems that too often the airline employees really have very poor support regarding broken planes, available crews and delays...particularly in regard to meaningful information.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

For Amtrak, any day without a derailment is a good day.
          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Today's winner:

Better yet, it may involve the Uber dangerous maneuver of parking on an active taxiway...
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• yet another example of when i would say eff you, get up and use the head. deal with the fall out later.

many years ago, i was on a flight from ORD-MIA and we were something like 28 for takeoff, after a 45 minute wait on the apron somewhere. needless to say, after several nice local frosty adult beverages in the terminal, i had the urge. i waved at the FA up front and kinda pointed at the lav. she said, only if it's to avoid a mess. i got up and did my biz. thereafter, about 20 other pax did the same. crew handled it with grace and understanding.

Comment

Today's winner:

Better yet, it may involve the Uber dangerous maneuver of parking on an active taxiway...
                Yeah, sorry, bodily functions trump protocols. Especially during two-hour delays. Even hijackers know this. Where are they finding these psychotic flight attendants...

It's hilarious that they gave her a voucher. The coup de grace. Maybe she should actually use it to get on board just long enough to piss on their plane again.

Methinks they will be giving her more than a voucher though, a lot more, once the lawyers enter the room. There is nothing in the contract of carriage that allows for this sort of humiliation and psychological trauma.

It's as if the airline industry wants to get re-regulated as badly as Trump wants to get impeached. Let's find that line by crossing it...

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                  yet another example of when i would say eff you, get up and use the head. deal with the fall out later.

many years ago, i was on a flight from ORD-MIA and we were something like 28 for takeoff, after a 45 minute wait on the apron somewhere. needless to say, after several nice local frosty adult beverages in the terminal, i had the urge. i waved at the FA up front and kinda pointed at the lav. she said, only if it's to avoid a mess. i got up and did my biz. thereafter, about 20 other pax did the same. crew handled it with grace and understanding.
                  Here I agree with you. It also happened to me once, except it was during a descent (still high). The seat belt signs were on. I had a sudden and urgent need to visit the lav. As soon as approached the lav in the back, the FA that was sitting in that area started to tell me what I already knew. I interrupted her and I said "I know but I can't hold it, the choice is not if but where, I assume the risk". No more words were spoken.

When one NEEDS to go, one WILL go no matter what and, in particular, regardless of the regulations and airline procedures and policies.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• In the comments section of the article, someone made a point that they may yell and all but its not good to get physical in flight so an FA probably won't stop you...(except for the really frazzled nut jobs). It would also be fun to film the whole thing to capture any life-threatening turbulence.

Not too different than Gabes story.

Also, this active taxiway BS is...well BS. I know the pilots want to light up and go when the clearance comes, but from what I've seen, there is awful communication- all too often its 20 to 60 minutes with the seatbelt sign on where they could instead let folks up and later say- 'Hey, we just got our clearance, and are starting our engines, put you computers away, get off the pot, and be aware we can't budge until everyone is properly seated and buckled.

Comment

• and once again i'll point out the painfully obvious contradiction in policies: ABSOLUTELY no standing or going to the lav while on "an active taxiway"--where speeds are generally sub 25 mph--but standing, lav visits, walking around etc. are perfectly ok at 36,000' hurtling through clear air (which sometimes has this thing called CAT, e.g., http://avherald.com/h?article=4cd94404&opt=0) at 500+ mph.

oh yeah, they got their priorities perfectly in order.

Comment

• I was talking about PARKING on an “active taxiway”

I get your argument about speed differences at cruise vs taxi, BUT it’s not an apples to apples and is invalid.

I have experienced a few SURPRISE, brake slams on taxi likely to put someone on the floor (and possibly kissing an arm rest on the way down). I don’t think I’ve ever experienced SURPRISE turbulence that would put someone on the floor (or ceiling)- it happens, but much more rarely than a luggage cart driver shooting in front of an airplane.

The buckled-during-taxi policy is appropriate for passenger safety, as well as preventing lawsuits from greedy lawyers.

As for the case of departure holds and no gates- it’s too frequent to have 30 and 45 minute lockdowns with the seatbelt sign on and FAs bitching over bathroom runs.

Comment

• Best statement I ever heard from a passenger who was in desperate need of a pee during a long taxi out was when the FA said that despite the immediacy effects of the medication Bumetanide, the passenger would have to wait. The passenger replied with.....
                          “My dear, in about 2 minutes I will start to pass water. I won’t be able to stop it happening due to it being the nature of the beast of the drug that causes it. I do not intend to urinate in the seat that I am going to be spending several hours in and I do not intend to soil my trousers with urine either so you will be leaving me with no option but to flop my dick out right here in the aisle and pee on the floor. You may want to warn the passengers to give them time to avert their eyes if they wish. Your choice, over to you”.

I got to pee in the toilet.

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Seriously though, unless you have a bladder disorder, you are somewhat responsible for managing your bodlly functions within at least an hour-long period. There's a good chance that, once you board a plane, it's going to be a while before you get a chance to use the lav, so definitely go before you do that. I think I learned that when I was three. When I get on a plane, I'm good for at least three or four hours. But still, after a two-hour delay, they need to accomodate people.

Comment

Seriously though, unless you have a bladder disorder, you are somewhat responsible for managing your bodily functions within at least an hour-long period.
                              Under normal circumstances, yes, but there are cases where you have an urgent need to go and it is not necessarily pee.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                                Under normal circumstances, yes, but there are cases where you have an urgent need to go and it is not necessarily pee.
                                Start with a 1 hour boarding...(gate hold)

THEN taxi to an 'active taxiway' where you are delayed an hour with ground holds doled out in 15 min increments by ATC.

Then you take off into weather, and ANOTHER hour ticks away with the hosties being seated.

My only ask is a little more flexibility on those 15 min specials active taxiway delays.

Comment

Working...
                                X