The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Do a little research. Goose Bay AFB (YYK) cannot accomodate disembarking a large airliner. When ElAl had to land a 747-400 there, they stayed on the plane. When AirFrance had to land an A380 there, they stayed on the plane.

Here's the difference: ElAl had their replacement 747 there in about 11 hours and flew the passengers onward to their destination. Air France had a replacement 777 leaving Goose Bay in about 17 hours (although the first class pax got wisked off in a chartered 737 three hours earlier) and flew the passengers onward to their destination. United had their passengers still at Goose Bay 24 hours after landing there, and then took them back to where they started from.

Now get out a map and plot the distance from Goose Bay to Tel Aviv, Paris and Newark. That should tell the tale.
    and if the plane were on fire? they would land there, jump off the plane and hang out on the tarmac? please. don't make excuses for the failure of people to do the right thing for alleged expediency.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      and if the plane were on fire? they would land there, jump off the plane and hang out on the tarmac? please. don't make excuses for the failure of people to do the right thing for alleged expediency.
      But the plane WASN'T on fire AND it was the most safe and comfortable place to keep them. Follow?

This is not a commercial airport with facilities for hundreds of stranded passengers. The entire town probably doesn't have that many chairs.

But try to follow this: The authorities at Goose Bay didn't know it was going to take eons for Untied to get another plane out of there. If they had known that, they might have taken other measures.

Comment

brian, i spent 15 years as a paramedic in NYC, so i very well understand "emergencies." i worked the avianca crash in long island (mostly collecting body parts).
        Respect. As a paramedic trained to save life the retrieval of body parts is soul destroying.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

took them back to where they started from.
          You are a tad fixated on that...mentioned it 3? times...and now in bold font.

Sorry dude, but I think that might just make good logistical common sense...the best way to get them on the China is to take them back. Or do we need two backup aircraft- one for the people who need to go onward ASAP and another to take back the folks who's face to face meeting to buy TV's and car's and vacations were screwed over.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

But the plane WASN'T on fire AND it was the most safe and comfortable place to keep them. Follow?

This is not a commercial airport with facilities for hundreds of stranded passengers. The entire town probably doesn't have that many chairs.

But try to follow this: The authorities at Goose Bay didn't know it was going to take eons for Untied to get another plane out of there. If they had known that, they might have taken other measures.
            it IS a commercial airport and an international airport at that. no, it is not set up to handle wide bodies. but don't tell me that the terminal itself would not have been more comfortable for 24 hours than the aluminum tube they were cramped into, with untied's famously spacious seating.

Comment

it IS a commercial airport and an international airport at that. no, it is not set up to handle wide bodies. but don't tell me that the terminal itself would not have been more comfortable for 24 hours than the aluminum tube they were cramped into, with untied's famously spacious seating.
              a) Ok, I won't tell you that again.

b) As I said, I'm sure nobody at the base knew that is was going to take Untied a small ice age to get their act together and rescue these people. If they had, perhaps something could have been arranged (perhaps not).

Comment

a) Ok, I won't tell you that again.

b) As I said, I'm sure nobody at the base knew that is was going to take Untied a small ice age to get their act together and rescue these people. If they had, perhaps something could have been arranged (perhaps not).
                because you've been there and know exactly how it's laid out. i forgot.

what exactly do you think the people on the ground thought? that united was flying a replacement jet over? mechanics? parts? food? a cheerleading squad? at what point did it NOT occur to all of these brain surgeons that the delay was going to be ridonkulously long and that all the pax would be suffering? what about crew time? didn't someone realize almost immediately that the crew was a guaranteed timeout the minute they went "technical" (what a nice way of saying effed up)?

now, this is not quite the same thing but here's what aa did (one good thing, one time) when my flight had to return to mia for an unlatched door: dispatch knew the plane was going out of service due to overweight landing. they also knew they had a spare plane, but unloading pax, luggage, freight and reloading same was gonna take some time. so, before we were even off the plane, customer service had ordered up hundreds of sandwiches, snacks, fruits and drinks and showed up at the new gate right away.

yes, easy to do when you're at your own hub. but the idea is they planned for it and acted, as opposed to sitting around waiting and letting everyone fend for themselves.

there is no way you can convince me that this is yet another "we-don't-give-a-shit" failure by both untied and the govt turds.

Comment

both
                  This word is inconsistent with black and white thinking.

By the way- as long as we're getting straight on our all-or-nothings:

1. Air France is totally freakin' awesome because they got their passengers out in 17 hours, and United sucks because it took 24?

OR

2. Is Evan chapped because United went back to New Yark. You don't think there's a chance that half of those passengers weren't ready to punt on China and that the other half would get there almost as quickly by going back?

OR

3. Does it only count as good customer service if you involve a second airplane?
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Group 9 to board a CRJ.

Rather laughable.

Thanks AA.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                      Group 9 to board a CRJ.

Rather laughable.

Thanks AA.
                      yeah, the fact that there are now 10 groups to board a plane with what, 70 seats? is friggin insane.

While waiting to board his plane, a man discovers that he’s not as much of a VIP as he thinks he is. About Key & Peele: Key & Peele showcases the fearless wi...

Comment

• I will tell all you one thing. Boarding groups could be used really for efficiency and comfort.
                        I used to fly very frequently between Buenos Aires and Rio Grande (Arg). At 3:30 hours, that's possibly the 2nd longest domestic flight you can take in Argentina.
                        Rio Grande is a rather small city, with a population of some 80K. And you can count with the fingers of 1 hand the number of commercial flights per day to/from any city, including one to/from Buenos Aires served by Aerolíneas Argentinas with a 737-700 or its subsidiary Austral with the EMB-190.
                        There is a very small Aerolíneas ground crew based there, and the check-in agents are the same than the gate agents, and they are always the same 3 guys/gals.
                        When boarding the flight to Buenos Aires, they followed always the same procedure that is NOT the official Aerilíneas Argentinas procedure.
                        Screw the groups on the boarding pass. It went like this:
                        Passengers with Condor Gold, Condor Platinum, SkyTeam Elite, business class, with small children and with restricted mobility, you are welcome to board now.
                        [5 minutes later, to give these persons time to put their stuff in the overhead bins and take their seats]
                        Rows 22 and 21, welcome aboard.
                        [After these 12 had gone through the gate]
                        Rows 20 and 19, welcome aboard.
                        And so on calling 2 rows per turn from back to front, until they finished with the economy class rows. Rows 4 and 4 were the last to board.
                        The result? You almost never encountered persons standing in the aisle ahead of your seat reaching for the bins. Everybody that was on the plane (except the ones of the 1st call that were almost always already seated) had a seat further aft of about in your same row. The boarding process was much smoother and quick, and less stressful, starting with the boarding call that you could anticipate very well when it was going to be about your turn.
                        The first time I was baffled. The second and following times, I loved it.
                        Of course, back then Aeroliíneas Argentinas was not selling boarding groups or offering earlier boarding for a price. The last time I took that flight (or any domestic flight in Argentina) was mid-2014.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                          The last time I took that flight (or any domestic flight in Argentina) was mid-2014.
                          And Argentina has been crying for you ever since. (sorry, that was just too easy)

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                            And Argentina has been crying for you ever since. (sorry, that was just too easy)
                            Yes, although I begged them don't cry for me.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• The Lufthansa Debärcle

Suing a passenger for not taking his connecting flight. This is where we are.

To recap:

- Airlines are allowed to alter itineraries, change stopover points, add technical stopovers and reschedule flights.
                              - Passengers must always fly the exact itinerary they booked or pay a fine.

German carrier Lufthansa sues a passenger who skipped the last leg of a flight using a “hidden city” loophole to get a cheaper ticket to his destination.

Comment

• The other day I went to MacDonald's. I wanted a quarter pounder, just the sandwich. But I saw a special offer that gave you the meal for less than the sandwich alone. So I bought the meal, ate the sandwich, didn't put any soda in the cup, and trashed the fires. Did I commit a crime?

Comment

Working...
                                X