Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: The United debarcle

Ironingly, I think I did exactly the same thing a time or two (apples and stuff).

What's interesting, at Puerto Rico where there is some stuff you don't want hauled back, there's some fairly rigorous inspections BEFORE you leave.

But those dang Apples from Europe...ya know, they are responsible for the downfall of mankind!

Yeah, I guess it would be good if the airline said something ON THE PA about how the applies can cost you $500 (or maybe they do). It is there in writing, but the font is pretty small. And, maybe they shouldn't give out forbidden fruit? And yeah, do the airlines really quarantine and incinerate the biohazard apples before handing the trash off to the rampies?

Of course some of the better one liners is: It would be nice if they screened terrorists as vigorously as they screened apples.

And one other thought for the day. Isn't Evan on another thread calling for MORE government oversight? While you may say it's and apples-to-turbine-blades comparison, this is sorta how the government works.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

This is a border entry issue and it is well known if you have a global entry pass. They made it crystal clear to me when I got one that if you bring ANY food with you, you must check that box on the little customs form. When in doubt check the form. Border control is the embodiment of bureaucracy. This is the passengers fault for not paying attention.

I could go on for days talking about border control problems since I have many decades experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
    This is the passengers fault for not paying attention.
    Agree 100%!

Form / customs agent asked "do you have any fruits or vegetables?". Passenger who was carrying fruit said "no". Passenger is stupid. Or maybe to be a little nicer, half-asleep from just having spent X hours on an airplane.

Granted $500 is probably excessive for that particular transgression, but failure of the person to correctly answer an extremely simple question is what started this.
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
    ***This is the passengers fault for not paying attention.***
    Gonna side with Evan for a moment...

The average passenger... not a diamond smuggler, not smuggling illegal drugs, not a terrorist, you get a government form with all sorts of questions about what you are bringing back and it's monetary value/tax evasion...

And the airline gives you an apple and you have a three hour layover...

Just help folks out a little...It really doesn't hurt that badly to give out something that is NOT an agricultural biohazard (Heck, I'd question why the airline is flying such awful things to the US anyway- again-does the airport autoclave or incinerate the apple cores as an agricultural biohazard?). And why not give a very clear warning on the PA? A big sign that says "inspection for smuggled apples ahead, dispose of contraband fruit here"...?

Bottom line repeated: Just help folks a little...
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

The airline is the snake that tempts mankind with the forbidden fruit, and the snake is Satan... Apply the transitive property. You know.. rock wins over scissors, scissors wins over paper, so rock wins over paper. Oh, wait a second...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    Just help folks a little...
    Bravo.

This is the crux of everything this thread is about. People get confused by the myriad complexities of a system built largely through corporate and governmental improvisation. They can't be expected not to get confused by that.

Yet when a confused person violates a policy or does something contrary to the official procedure, they are punished for it.

The entire mentality is punitive. Just help them out...

This is exactly what is wrong with a) the airline industry and b) society itself these days.

So what is the right thing to do? Inform the person that the apple is forbidden. Briefly explain to them why it is forbidden. Confirm that they understand. Confiscate the apple. Send them on their way, now with an understanding to never again bring that free apple that you thought was ok because the airline gave it to you through customs because it represents an agricultural hazard. This is how a somewhat cool society functions. This is how a community sustains itself.

Now the guy with 100 rare Himalayan apples hidden in his suitcase—the guy for whom the law was written—bust him all you want.