The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]14965[/ATTACH] A picture is worth a thousand words!
    Nice warbird!!!

(I tried to do the PPL course in similar one, a PA-11 since it was the cheapes flight hour in the flight school, but I faced geometric incompatibilities, so I ended up in my avatar's the PA-38 )

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Got it.

Boeing Bobby is not bragging. Learn something new every day.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        Got it.

Boeing Bobby is not bragging. Learn something new every day.

Oh yes indeed, owning a 1946 J-3 65 worth all of 30K is real bragging rights! My BMW is not only worth more, but a hell of a lot faster!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          Nice warbird!!!

(I tried to do the PPL course in similar one, a PA-11 since it was the cheapes flight hour in the flight school, but I faced geometric incompatibilities, so I ended up in my avatar's the PA-38 )
          You must be taller than 6' 2". It is a little tough if you are tall, especially the front seat!

Comment

You must be taller than 6' 2". It is a little tough if you are tall, especially the front seat!
            6' 4".

The comfort in the front seat was horrible but my real problem was getting in and out.
            Never had the pleasure of being in a J-3, I don't know if there is any difference with the PA-11 in the habitability and accessibility of the flight deck.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              6' 4".

The comfort in the front seat was horrible but my real problem was getting in and out.
              Never had the pleasure of being in a J-3, I don't know if there is any difference with the PA-11 in the habitability and accessibility of the flight deck.

A little more room and a few more instruments in the PA-11 Gabriel. Oh and usually a starter and a radio too. Next time you are coming up North, let me know and we will throw you in the back seat. I am still able to scrunch up front at 6'.

Comment

Let's see, we could not ticket persons unless they give their middle name...might be a little work for us...shave a bit off the bottom line profit...

But nah, let's take their money, AND print their boarding pass and THEN when they get to the plane, deny boarding, make 'em wait a day AND charge change fees.

(Oh and be sure that there is NO other reasonable mechanism to simply confirm that you are an ordinary, law-abiding citizen who wants to ride a purple airplane to Iceland...driver's licenses, check google for their address, credit card, flight history- clearly they are orchestrating a plot to sneak bomb on board by building it out of non metallic items and swallowing it...)

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/0...ding-pass.html
                So 2 things:

One, middle name and this kind of small details are extremely important in international flights. The airlines (that I know off) make very clear that all the information needs to match exactly what's in the passport or travel document. And airlines learnt it the hard way, having to pay fines and the cost of returning not-admitted people. This pax did screw up by not including her middle name as her passport showed.

Second, if the person was there, they have a valid passport with the picture, etc, etc... I don't know how hard it is to say "no problem, here you have the amended ticket including your middle name, and the corresponding amended boarding pass". The airline said that they cannot make changes in the ticket less than 4 hours before departure time, but I suspect that this is not a regulation, not even a company policy, but an intended consequence of some software script designed to prevent that something different than the middle name (like the destination or other stuff) is changed close to the departure time. I mean, you can BUY a ticket less than 1 hour before departure, why would it be not possible to amend your middle name on an existing one?

Comment

A little more room and a few more instruments in the PA-11 Gabriel. Oh and usually a starter and a radio too. Next time you are coming up North, let me know and we will throw you in the back seat. I am still able to scrunch up front at 6'.
                  Our PA-11 (LV-RFU, nicknamed "Rufu" even by ATC so it was more a callsign than a nickname, quite famous in the Argentina sub-world of flight schools, you can google it) didn't have starter, but it did have an electrical system for the nav lights, VHF comm radio and transponder, all required since we were based in a controlled field in controlled airspace.

I am leaving up North,remember? Lonely star state. And next time I see you, I will first claim the simulator time you offered before for the 747 dummy me Miami landing challenge!

(not that I like flying a sim more than a J-3, but I have more chances of getting in the pilot seat of small GA planes than in the left seat of a 747, real or virtual)

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                    ***i doubt VERY MUCH that they ever get treated poorly by any fa's***
                    Not all THAT much meat here, but interesting, timely article TITLE, anyway.

Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Oh yes indeed, owning a 1946 J-3 65 worth all of 30K is real bragging rights! My BMW is not only worth more, but a hell of a lot faster!
                      ....but your BMW is nowhere near as much fun as your J3.
                      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                        ....but your BMW is nowhere near as much fun as your J3.
                        Yes and no!

Comment

Not all THAT much meat here, but interesting, timely article TITLE, anyway.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/d005...pilots-to.html
                          yeah, seems like a bunch of lip service to me. or perhaps he and his follow pilots really do care. i'm far less likely to believe the same is true of fa's who in many, if not most, ways, have more stressful positions.

Comment

• I'm just trying to figure out by what standard is a J-3 considered a "warbird".

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                              I'm just trying to figure out by what standard is a J-3 considered a "warbird".
                              Because it was originally developed for the US Army as an observation aircraft. The Cub was originally intended as a trainer and had great popularity in this role and as a general aviation aircraft. Due to its performance, it was well suited for a variety of military uses such as reconnaissance, liaison and ground control. It was produced in large numbers during World War II as the L-4 Grasshopper.
                              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                                Because it was originally developed for the US Army as an observation aircraft. The Cub was originally intended as a trainer and had great popularity in this role and as a general aviation aircraft. Due to its performance, it was well suited for a variety of military uses such as reconnaissance, liaison and ground control. It was produced in large numbers during World War II as the L-4 Grasshopper.
                                And it was widely feared by Luftwaffe pilots.

Comment

Working...
                                X