Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 261 to 270 of 270

Thread: The United debarcle

  1. #261
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    Does your new enlightenment also see that us customers have lowered our standards of what is a decent and acceptable way to treat gate agents?
    Indeed. So it's a question of who started it (don't bother).

    But only one side is profiting from the experience. The other side is paying for it. Makes a difference in the expectations department.

  2. #262
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    5,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    But only one side is profiting from the experience. The other side is paying for it. Makes a difference in the expectations department.
    I would say that if you are paying for it it is because you see value on it. As much value as price, minimum. So both parties are profiting, in different ways.
    The truth is that "we" don't care about quality or customer service, we just google "find me the cheapest flight from A to B" and click the first one in the list sorted by price low to high. Training costs money. Better workers cost money. Worker retention costs money. Worker incentives cost money. Better managers cost money. Better process engineers cost money. Newer computers and software development cost money. But we are not willing to pay for any of that.

    Oh, until we are affected by poor quality or customer service. Then we rant.

    "We" have what "we" deserve. Because if a company wants to do better, it goes out of the business. "We" send them chapter 11.

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  3. #263
    Super Moderator brianw999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent. UK.
    Posts
    11,602

    Default

    I am one of those lying, cheating wheelchair users that you speak of. I have bone-on-bone arthritis in both knees which means that I am in constant 7/10 pain when doing anything other than sitting. That pain is despite using Tramadol which is one step down from Morphine. I have to use wheelchair assistance to get to the gate from the lounge because I quite simply cannot walk more than 50 metre without being in extreme pain and suffering locked knees. Despite all that I will still offer to walk, albeit slowly from the gate to the aircraft despite the extra pain in order to avoid causing problems with the loading process at the aircraft.
    What do I get for thinking of others ? I get loud comments like "Look at that asshole. He gets disabled assistance from the lounge because he's too lazy to walk but then he walks to the aircraft"
    Well, fuck you pal. When we land I'll use the chair all the way and make every attempt to take a chunk out of your ankles.
    Until they have a disability themselves most people have no idea what it's like and the negative impact on our lives. Putting your socks on in the morning is a simple thing isn't it ? ....but it's something that I can't do without having either someone to do it for me or using a handy little device that helps with that simple function.
    Believe me, being in a wheelchair is no fun. Able bodied people seem to take no notice, they are generally switched off with their noses buried in their phones or iPads and in their own little world of "I don't give a fuck about anyone else"

    Rant over (for now !)
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !


  4. #264
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I would say that if you are paying for it it is because you see value on it. As much value as price, minimum. So both parties are profiting, in different ways.
    The truth is that "we" don't care about quality or customer service, we just google "find me the cheapest flight from A to B" and click the first one in the list sorted by price low to high. Training costs money. Better workers cost money. Worker retention costs money. Worker incentives cost money. Better managers cost money. Better process engineers cost money. Newer computers and software development cost money. But we are not willing to pay for any of that.
    Which is why we need pricing regulations that avoid this race to the bottom. You are wrong, many of us ARE willing to pay more for a little respect, especially since we know it will probably add $25 to the price. And don't kid yourself; the airlines are profiting quite nicely and WOULD reinvest more of that profit into the quality of their people if they had to deal with significant COMPETITION.

    "We" have what "we" deserve.
    We have the government we deserve, or lack of government rather. We need pricing regulation and a Justice Dept that doesn't take bribes and greenlight mega-mergers that amount to monopolies.

    But we elect populist clowns. It's a downward spiral.

  5. #265
    Senior Member TeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    1,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    I am one of those lying, cheating wheelchair users that you speak of. I have bone-on-bone arthritis in both knees which means that I am in constant 7/10 pain when doing anything other than sitting. That pain is despite using Tramadol which is one step down from Morphine. I have to use wheelchair assistance to get to the gate from the lounge because I quite simply cannot walk more than 50 metre without being in extreme pain and suffering locked knees. Despite all that I will still offer to walk, albeit slowly from the gate to the aircraft despite the extra pain in order to avoid causing problems with the loading process at the aircraft.
    What do I get for thinking of others ? I get loud comments like "Look at that asshole. He gets disabled assistance from the lounge because he's too lazy to walk but then he walks to the aircraft"
    Well, fuck you pal. When we land I'll use the chair all the way and make every attempt to take a chunk out of your ankles.
    Until they have a disability themselves most people have no idea what it's like and the negative impact on our lives. Putting your socks on in the morning is a simple thing isn't it ? ....but it's something that I can't do without having either someone to do it for me or using a handy little device that helps with that simple function.
    Believe me, being in a wheelchair is no fun. Able bodied people seem to take no notice, they are generally switched off with their noses buried in their phones or iPads and in their own little world of "I don't give a fuck about anyone else"

    Rant over (for now !)
    having spent 5 months in a wheelchair and not being able to bear any weight on my right foot, i know the drill. re-read my post if need be. my bitching is aimed at people abusing the system. you, like my mum, are not abusing the system, nor are anyone else who really need the assistance. however, when you can walk around just fine, carrying a large bag and dragging a loaded roll-aboard, you should NOT be granted pre-boarding simply because you asked for a wheelchair to take you on a mile long trek from check-in to gate.

  6. #266
    Member ATLcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    Well, fuck you pal. When we land I'll use the chair all the way and make every attempt to take a chunk out of your ankles.
    Way to elicit empathy.

  7. #267
    Super Moderator brianw999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent. UK.
    Posts
    11,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLcrew View Post
    Way to elicit empathy.
    I'm talking about the people who don't have any care or empathy in the first place. The ones who are only interested in themselves. I have spent half of my life as a paramedic looking after others. The job and the physical stresses that go with it are the reason that I am in such poor physical shape now. It's my turn now for some comfort in my retirement.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !


  8. #268
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Indeed. So it's a question of who started it (don't bother).

    But only one side is profiting from the experience. The other side is paying for it. Makes a difference in the expectations department.
    Thank you for the indeed. We shall agree to disagree that a little yelling is reasonable when the crowd starts surging and being non-compliant.

    Brian...dude...chill...yeah, the human race sucks...folks fake it to cheat...then you- who truly need it- get crap from OTHER ass holes. Please let this forum be a place where valid comments from both sides can be heard...yeah, it's BS that you get crap, and I like the human race less and less.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  9. #269
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
    having spent 5 months in a wheelchair and not being able to bear any weight on my right foot, i know the drill. re-read my post if need be. my bitching is aimed at people abusing the system. you, like my mum, are not abusing the system, nor are anyone else who really need the assistance. however, when you and your family of six can walk around just fine, all carrying a large bag and all dragging a loaded roll-aboard, you should NOT be granted pre-boarding simply because you asked for a wheelchair to take you on a mile long trek from check-in to gate.
    Fixed.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  10. #270
    Member ATLcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    I'm talking about the people who don't have any care or empathy in the first place. The ones who are only interested in themselves. I have spent half of my life as a paramedic looking after others. The job and the physical stresses that go with it are the reason that I am in such poor physical shape now. It's my turn now for some comfort in my retirement.
    I'd think being something in the neighborhood of 400lbs (by your own account) has been a lot harder on your knees than being a paramedic...

    You don't sound terribly "comfortable in your retirement".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •