The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    You think I positioned for a flight without pay? Hate to be the bearer of bad news but, sit in the back, get paid! Not a bad deal when it was from MIA to DXB business class as well per our contract for international.
    It is my understanding (disclaimer: my understanding in minimal and likely incorrect in this subject) that if you are in your base city B or in your destination city D and the company needs you in city C, then the company will pay you for taking the trip (and the time) to go from B or D to C. However, if your base in B but your home is in H (you probably have a crashpad in B), the company will help you get from H to B (they will give you a seat) but will not pay you.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      It is my understanding (disclaimer: my understanding in minimal and likely incorrect in this subject) that if you are in your base city B or in your destination city D and the company needs you in city C, then the company will pay you for taking the trip (and the time) to go from B or D to C. However, if your base in B but your home is in H (you probably have a crashpad in B), the company will help you get from H to B (they will give you a seat) but will not pay you.
      It depends on the company and the contract.

Comment

It depends on the company and the contract.
        I have read this statement many times: "I only get paid when the door is shut and the engines are running".

That doesn't make Bobby's statement false, but, from the outside reading in, it feels like it applies to a lot of US operations.

Then again, I am just an ass-hat parlour talker AND the point here is that pilots very often get to enjoy the factually-true / not-just-pure-feelings reduced seat pitch (along with the totally subjective area of passenger treatment).

Ok enough of the off-topic stuff, we know you are special Boeing Bobby...did they buy you first class tickets too?
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• BB is not special anymore. he was a bit prior to retirement.

good point about the flyboys getting stuck in cattle class. however, this just furthers my suspicion that they are in denial about the shyte conditions. oh, and i doubt VERY MUCH that they ever get treated poorly by any fa's

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            I have read this statement many times: "I only get paid when the door is shut and the engines are running".

That doesn't make Bobby's statement false, but, from the outside reading in, it feels like it applies to a lot of US operations.
            What is known as a “Zero hours contract”. The worst type of employment contract ever imposed on the working man (or woman.) It basically says, “You are employed by us.....but only when we want you”. No holiday pay, no sick pay, no pension. It’s the type of work contract that makes politicians go wet their pants with happiness. They can claim that they have achieved full employment while selling workers rights down the river.
            Ryanair is a good example.... http://www.dw.com/en/ryanair-chaos-t...hts/a-40875982
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Then again, I am just an ass-hat parlour talker AND the point here is that pilots very often get to enjoy the factually-true / not-just-pure-feelings reduced seat pitch (along with the totally subjective area of passenger treatment).

Ok enough of the off-topic stuff, we know you are special Boeing Bobby...did they buy you first class tickets too?
              I will type slower so maybe you will understand me. Atlas's contract with their pilots stipulates business class of better for all international flights. This does not do a lot of good if you are going to Alaska of Hawaii which are domestic as well as a coast to coast flight. We get to sit in the back for those. But if you go from Luxembourg to Frankfort ( 40 minutes) it is business class. We do, also by contract get paid 1 hour for every 2.8 hours deadheading. Now that I have retired however, I get nothing from any airline except that I am gold for life on American, and I do have a few frequent flyer miles saved up. Atlas on more than one occasion used the Concord to position crews to Europe in a hurry, and charter LearJets etc. quite often.

Comment

I will type slower so maybe you will understand me. [all sorts of detailed stuff about not riding in the cheap seats]
                I'll type slower and in bold font.

YES

We know you are special.

BUT (read the next sentence twice, Bobby)

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT PILOTS OFTEN RIDE AIRLINERS AS PASSENGERS.

Perhaps you should launch Iusedtoflyareallybigjetandneedtobragaboutit.com and put a discussion forum there?
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• The daily-defies-common-sense-and-customer-service post...

Let's see, we could not ticket persons unless they give their middle name...might be a little work for us...shave a bit off the bottom line profit...

But nah, let's take their money, AND print their boarding pass and THEN when they get to the plane, deny boarding, make 'em wait a day AND charge change fees.

(Oh and be sure that there is NO other reasonable mechanism to simply confirm that you are an ordinary, law-abiding citizen who wants to ride a purple airplane to Iceland...driver's licenses, check google for their address, credit card, flight history- clearly they are orchestrating a plot to sneak bomb on board by building it out of non metallic items and swallowing it...)

Comment

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT PILOTS OFTEN RIDE AIRLINERS AS PASSENGERS.[/B]
                    (I read this sentence three times in bold font).

What are you talking about? BB just posted the facts directly related to Atlas pilots deadheading on airliners. Just the facts. Don't scare him away too, ok?

Comment

I'll type slower and in bold font.

YES

We know you are special.

BUT (read the next sentence twice, Bobby)

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT PILOTS OFTEN RIDE AIRLINERS AS PASSENGERS.

Perhaps you should launch Iusedtoflyareallybigjetandneedtobragaboutit.com and put a discussion forum there?
                      I don't find it necessary to use bold for for you, just the German! I posted in response to the part about riding in the back for free as a crewmember. I don't need to brag about the big jets, I own a 72 year old war bird which I find a lot more fun to fly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                        (I read this sentence three times in bold font).

What are you talking about? BB just posted the facts directly related to Atlas pilots deadheading on airliners. Just the facts. Don't scare him away too, ok?
                        TY Evan. I have thick skin, I will be alright as soon as I wipe the tears off of my cheeks.

Comment

I own a 72 year old war bird which I find a lot more fun to fly.
                          How large is the sink in the lavatory?
                          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

I own a 72 year old war bird which
                            Would you share what airplane is it?
                            1946 is not the most common model year for warbirds. It's post WW2 and before the Sabre.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                              ***fa's***
                              The more I think about this, it's an interesting twist.

5-Nav-V and ATL Crew and Bobby and friends probably follow a ton of procedures in a VERY CONSISTENT manner. Again, thank you for providing us with crazy safe, fairly fast transportation from point A to point B, and all of it with a lower paycheck than ever!

But...what about your fellow crewmembers on the other side of the secure door?

Yeah, FA's have their recurrent training and their regulations and their procedures- but have we ever paused to think about how inconsistent they can be (yeah, there is some consistency, but it's not too hard to list a ton big deviations in how things are handled from flight to flight).

Then we throw in the TeeVee theory that his airline has a slightly-above-average number of FA's with marginal mental issues...

I guess we don't need (nor want) robotic-minded FA's, but maybe they need to go easy on the rule interpretation and the lying.

Sorry to be harsh on the 'lying' part but they do say things that are other than the truth and which are designed for crowd control...It starts with the statement that 'we've been cleared to land'...Ummm....no we haven't...I can see that we are still on base leg, nowhere near the outer marker and probably talking to approach control.

Meh, I guess I'll go back to too much teaching on procedures done to the detriment of fundamentals. Stall warning...power full, 15 degrees ANU...[Repeat 15 times without pausing to think about what happens if you 'pull up the whole time']

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                                Would you share what airplane is it?
                                1946 is not the most common model year for warbirds. It's post WW2 and before the Sabre.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0025.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	1023330 A picture is worth a thousand words!

Comment

Working...
                                X