Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: The United debarcle

Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    Trouble is, I am specifically barred from sitting in an exit row seat because I need disabled assistance from the terminal to the gate due to my not being able to walk long distances....and that’s the crux of my argument. I cannot walk long distances.....but I CAN stand up, operate an emergency exit and assist others out of the aircraft. I also need a seat belt extender which is another airline indicator for disallowing a passenger from using an exit row seat. Cabin crew don’t listen to reason though, they stick with their hard and fast rules. I can understand not being allowed in the window seat but why do I get barred from the middle and aisle seats ? After all, it’s the window seat passenger who is going to operate the door, not me !
    You can still use front / bulkhead / class change rows.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    You can still use front / bulkhead / class change rows.
    Unless I book months in advance the front rows are the first to be prebooked. Front of economy doesn’t help much as the airlines that I use in Europe all operate Airbusses (BA, Air Malta, Iberia) which have Club (business) Class in front of the first economy row with just a curtain separating them. I have in the past asked if I could just sit in an empty Club Class seat and not participate in any of the extras but this request has always been denied to me.
    My wife and I have taken to prebooking a window seat for me and and aisle seat in the same row for her and this very often results in the middle seat not being allocated which allows some extra legroom.
    Last edited by brianw999; 04-17-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Unless I book months in advance the front rows are the first to be prebooked. Front of economy doesn’t help much as the airlines that I use in Europe all operate Airbusses (BA, Air Malta, Iberia) which have Club (business) Class in front of the first economy row with just a curtain separating them. I have in the past asked if I could just sit in an empty Club Class seat and not participate in any of the extras but this request has always been denied to me.
    My wife and I have taken to prebooking a window seat for me and and aisle seat in the same row for her and this very often results in the middle seat not being allocated which allows some extra legroom.
    In my experience, the first row of the Economy class (behind the business class separated with curtains) always has more legroom. But I don't remember when was the last time that I flew in a single-aisle plane in Europe.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

After all, itÂ’s the window seat passenger who is going to operate the door, not me !
    And if said window passenger was incapacitated secondary to the crash?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    This.

You see it often, but what does it mean? Technology came around and there was an industrial revolution. We came to form our identities as tools in the post-industrial-age. What is your name? What do you do? There's no going back.
    Industry became more powerful than the ruling government. They abused this power, employing children and creating harsh, dangerous and often inhumane work environments. That is, unfortunately, human nature among humans lacking in moral compunction.
    Government stepped up, that is to say, the people stepped up through their government and said, no, we demand human dignity and safe working conditions. It worked. Industry, reigned in by government, continued to flourish and prosper.
    Industry must be governed. It will not govern itself by any other principal than growth, market share and profits. Industry seeks to oppress us. In order to maintain freedom, we must regulate industry.
    A narrative was born, born of great investment, that the problem was 'big government'. It tries to convince us that the things that attempt to keep the playing field a fair one are detrimental to our lives.
    Certainly, there is ineptitude and bureaucratic nonsense involved, and certainly this snares progress. But it's not a matter of scale, it's a matter of competence. You don't solve the competence problem by scaling down government.
    Certainly, there is some fat that needs to be trimmed, but most of it lies in the defense department. Oh, we need that to be big. Right. There is no double standard here. Move along...

Back to seat pitch. The only thing that will gain us more seat pitch is regulation. Otherwise, it is a race to the bottom. Saddles instead of seats (they're in the pipeline). Industry is always coldly poised to abuse our human dignity. Once again, the people, through their government, need to say no. Legislation, compliance and enforcement. We need all three. That involves a government with resources, not a skeletal framework.

Name one case when it isn't.
    Yeah, Evan, "we" get it. Down with the evil bourgeoisie, power to the people!

Not exactly new ideas you're spouting there (although they might be new to you, who knows?).

Quote Originally Posted by ATLcrew View Post
    Yeah, Evan, "we" get it. Down with the evil bourgeoisie, power to the people!
    What? No, you don't get it. I'm talking about the size (and budget) of government.

The government of the world's largest economy and 300 million citizens has to be "big". It has to have the resources to keep industry in check, to prevent it from oppressing the people, because otherwise it will, because it did until we made government bigger.

So greater minimum seat pitch = bigger government. There's no way around that.