The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    If they overpower you between 4 big guys who force you out of the plane with no or minimum injuries, on what grounds are you going to sue them for so much as to make a big, fat, happy retirement?
    Be careful...you are becoming a black and white thinker- and not sure Tee Vee will pick up your technical viewpoint that they are only responsible for actual damages.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

If they overpower you between 4 big guys who force you out of the plane with no or minimum injuries, on what grounds are you going to sue them for so much as to make a big, fat, happy retirement?
      He is going to go big on social media and then extract a nice quiet settlement in return for making a public statement that they were only doing their job and he doesn't blame the people in the video.

Comment

• Ok, no one offers hotels...AND it's 'REAL SPECIAL' that AA went the extra mile to get their $25 (or is it $35) checked baggage.

But I'm guessing they WERE locked out of gate area where there were seats, carpet and fewer creeps.

Call me an idealist, but where's the cots and maybe access to the club, or some refugee rooms or even special passes to go back through security...(with 12 oz shampoo bottles).
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• High school students sleeping on the floor? That's what happens at home every once and then, and they seem to take it as it's fun. Pajama party, they call it.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

High school students sleeping on the floor? That's what happens at home every once and then, and they seem to take it as it's fun. Pajama party, they call it.
            Tile floor with creepy people hanging out and possibly no restaurants or stores outside of the secure area...?

Comment

High school students sleeping on the floor? That's what happens at home every once and then, and they seem to take it as it's fun. Pajama party, they call it.
              When I was a kid we used to call this corporate chaos.

Comment

• Mind the blue font (even when it is not there explicitly)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  Tile floor with creepy people hanging out?
                  Yes, that looks pretty much like a high school kids party.

Comment

why do you think they settled so quickly with dao? shyte publicity, and just about a guarantee that a jury would nail them to a cross. that's why. as it turned out, he was NOT belligerent, yet they knocked out 2 teeth and broke his nose. cops and wannabe cops are always eager to use excessive force. it doesn't take much to get them to act stupidly.

if i was only hurt a little bit, they would still wanna settle fast. jury trials are enormously expensive. that, and they KNOW there are very few folks in the US that like airlines, so just about every juror in the country would love to hand whatever airline its ass and award huge punitive damages.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                      why do you think they settled so quickly with dao? shyte publicity, and just about a guarantee that a jury would nail them to a cross. that's why. as it turned out, he was NOT belligerent, yet they knocked out 2 teeth and broke his nose. cops and wannabe cops are always eager to use excessive force. it doesn't take much to get them to act stupidly.

if i was only hurt a little bit, they would still wanna settle fast. jury trials are enormously expensive. that, and they KNOW there are very few folks in the US that like airlines, so just about every juror in the country would love to hand whatever airline its ass and award huge punitive damages.
                      Ok, but how much $$$ is a happy early retirement for you? I am a complete ignorant in these matters, but I don't think you are going to get 6 figures or even close. Or how much is a death if not?

Comment

• Bad news... I just purchased a long-haul trip with United. I really wanted to do it with American, but when they are $250 more expensive and there are 5 of us...

I don't know why, but in the last 3 years I have seen (at least for this route) that AA is consistently $200 to $300 more expensive per ticket. That "forced" me to book with United 2 of the 4 times that I purchased this trim in that period. In one case I could keep AA by, in one instance using miles for part of the trip and in another splitting the trip in 2 tickets (origin-stop-origin and stop-destination-stop) which happened to be $200 cheaper per ticket than the exact same flights purchased as one ticket.

The reason that I like AA more are:
                        - I have some degree of loyalty with them, after having flown quite a bit with a reasonable experience overall (by airlines standard, which is a very low bar).
                        - They seem to treat the pax a little be better and be a little more friendly.
                        - Most importantly for me: They let you move to an emergency exit row or front row if they have not sold the seats by the time of boarding. I just did that last week in the 4 flights that I took to MEX and back, emergency seats in all 4 flights, changed at the gate, and I felt like a king in first class just because my legs would fit. With United, even when I was already on board the plane and they have a full front row that was empty (as 1/2 of the plane), they would not allow me to move without paying the fare difference and after saying that my legs just didn't fit. This is so stupid!!! This time I will try again but, against the previous time, I will do it after take off (after the seat belt signs are turned off) and without asking. If they say something I will resist at least initially. They will not be able to drag me out of the plane by then. Let's see how "heavy" the situation gets. I will be traveling with my wife and kids so I will stop short of being too disruptive. But that's the main reason why I try to avoid United whenever I can.

Oh, and by the way, for those that say "if you don't fit just buy premium economy and shut up", I tell you 2 things: 1) Premium economy was $1000 more expensive PER HEAD (did I mention we are 5?) The price went fro $1500 to $2500 for the 4 flights. It's not just a small plus. And, most importantly, 2) Why do I need to pay more to FIT in a seat in which I used to fit but I don;t fit anymore for reasons that are out of mu control? (1- being quite toll but still with about 1% being as tall or teller than me, so it's not ridiculously abnormal, an average long haul flight would have 2 to 5 pax as tall or taller, and 2) the continuously smaller seat pitch plus a policy that doesn't allow specially tall people to occupy seats that they NEED to have with more room even if premium economy would not exist -emergency and front rows- for the same price). What would you say if they charged more if you are black, or if you have a specific condition? I am not using "if you are Jewish or too fat" because some might say these these are things under one's control). And again, it's not a matter of comfort. It's a matter of geometry. I don't want more legroom, I have negative legroom. I just don't fit and I need to keep my legs in the aisle, only to have the FA come and tell me that I can't leave them there for safety reasons.

Comment

Most importantly for me: They [AA] let you move to an emergency exit row or front row if they have not sold the seats by the time of boarding. I just did that last week in the 4 flights that I took to MEX and back, emergency seats in all 4 flights, changed at the gate, and I felt like a king in first class just because my legs would fit. With United, even when I was already on board the plane and they have a full front row that was empty (as 1/2 of the plane), they would not allow me to move without paying the fare difference
                          Unfortunately I think it's only going to get worse. The FAA has decided (contrary to an impressive body of expert medical evidence I have to say) that seat pitch is not a safety issue.

Sadly, UAL A320 Main Cabin (economy, non-premium) seat pitch = 30 inches. Same for the UAL 737-900. The average for all US airlines, all aircraft types, is between 31 and 32 inches. Source:

Confused by airplane seat sizes? Our airline legroom guide for U.S. and Canadian airlines can help keep you from getting squeezed.

Comment

• Originally posted by flashcrash View Post
                            Unfortunately I think it's only going to get worse. The FAA has decided (contrary to an impressive body of expert medical evidence I have to say) that seat pitch is not a safety issue.

Sadly, UAL A320 Main Cabin (economy, non-premium) seat pitch = 30 inches. Same for the UAL 737-900. The average for all US airlines, all aircraft types, is between 31 and 32 inches. Source:

https://www.cheapflights.com/news/airline-legroom-guide
                            add to that list aa's new max interior in the 738 ng.

Comment

And again, it's not a matter of comfort. It's a matter of geometry. I don't want more legroom, I have negative legroom. I just don't fit and I need to keep my legs in the aisle, only to have the FA come and tell me that I can't leave them there for safety reasons.
                              Well, you can take heart in knowing that Delta has announced the end of reclining seats on short haul flights. That was the last shred of dignity for we of the economy class, but now perhaps you will have less negative legroom...

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                                why do you think they settled so quickly with dao?
                                I was more surprised that HE settled so quickly. I seem to recall he was going to become the great warrior and martyr for passenger rights....

Comment

Working...
                                X