No announcement yet.

The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By the way, I'm 265 and 6' even and sort of fit into regular seats...Why should I have to pay more for them to stretch the seats out for Gabriel the 95% percentile giant? Pay for what you use, right?

And I could pay more for exit row/second class.

And now, for the ironing: Recently, I bought the new total bargain basement fare with no assigned seat. While they kept me guessing- they were busy selling ASSIGNED asile and window seats at a premium....finally, ~40 minutes before the flight left...the automatic-squeeze-every-last-penny-to-the-last-second-computer-system finally caved in and stuck me in 'comfort'...2 out of 4 flights!
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Another United incident

Any idea what led to this leakage?

Comment

• Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
        Another United incident

Any idea what led to this leakage?
        I love this quote:
        “They just looked at the video and they all kind of looked at each other, like, ‘We’ve never seen anything like this,'” Brumfield reportedly said, adding the United asked them to “go easy” on the airline on social media.

In United's defense it sounds like they all handled it pretty well. Since fuel doesn't generally pour out uphill, it looks to me like that fuel was being pumped, and I would guess that some sort of hose/pipe fixture came loose or broke.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
          By the way, I'm 265 and 6' even and sort of fit into regular seats...Why should I have to pay more for them to stretch the seats out for Gabriel the 95% percentile giant? Pay for what you use, right?
          A few "but" here...
          - I am percentile 99. Percentile 95 is 2 inches shorter, which means probably about 1/2-inch shorter femur.
          - In your average 777 flight there will be about 15 percentile-95+ persons, including 3 percentile-99+ ones. It is not something that you say "oh, this is extraordinary, could not be foreseen". You have several instances on average in each flight.
          - The emergency exit seat have to have more space by regulations, so it's not like putting them available reduce the number of seats so you have to pay more for your cattle-class seat.
          - Unlike weight (which is already quite difficult to control), height is uncontrollable. There is nothing I can do to be shorter, and I did nothing wrong or had any bad habit that triggered this height. Being punished for that is denigrating. I will never ever pay 1c so as my femur fits between the seats.
          - It is not that I want an upper class. The airlines have been pushing the seat pitch shorter and that was not reflected in the price. What is "economy plus" today was "bare cattle class" a few years ago. They just re-named it "economy plus" and made a new "sub-cattle class" that they call "economy".
          - I am literally suffering. it is not a matter of comfort, that someone may pay more for more comfort. It is a matter om minimum habitability and dignity. It is hard for some to understand, but imagine that I seat the "average" pax in a seat that has several inches less legroom to the point that he just doesn't have space to put his knees against the back of the seat in front of him. Or imagine that I put a fakir cushion with nails instead of your regular cushion. Oh, you don't want to have you arse pierced by a dozen of nails? Pay for the extra comfort!!!
          - Most important: The seats are there for God sake!!! Empty!!! Nobody is occupying them!!! It could be easy to pit a policy saying thatm if the seats are empty, we didn't manage to sell them to anybody, nobody in the plane is willing to pay a dime for it, the we will not drag a 99-percentile person out of the plane who doesn't fit in OUR seats and wants to seat in the emergency row (by the way, having the emergency row occupied by one somehow big and strong guy male may be not such a bad idea to begin with, he might be handy if the needs to use this exit arises).

And I could pay more for exit row/second class.
          I could too. I may pay business some time if I want extra COMFORT. I will not pay a dime so the airline lets me live. I will put the legs the best I can and if that is in the aisle or that means that the person in front will not recline their seat, well, I am sorry. I may even invite the flight attendant to accommodate and position my legs in the best way she wants.

Once, returning from China, the plane was oversold. I was "offered" a business class seat (and the full business class service, including the BOSE, the meals, and the miles) free of charge. Ah... but if I am on the plane and the emergency exit is available, then I better shut up or I will be tied down if not punched in the face and dragged off the plane (after what the stock price of the airline will go up).

The worse part is that they are treating us as shit, and we are letting them do so.

I will do what I can. I will fly SouthWest over the legacy carriers whenever possible. No "sub-cattle economy" and "standard-now-called PLUS economy". Just a simple economy with more legroom than AA, UA or DL. Pick your seat from whatever is available the minute you step on the plane. Check in early and all the plane will be available. Front row and exit rows free of charge. And if you seat somewhere else and there are more seats available, you are welcome to change seats at any time. Many times I cannot avoid it, but I will try not to give a dollar to the legacy airlines. I am even willing to pay a few more bucks for "low cost" service.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Schwartz View Post
            I love this quote:
            “They just looked at the video and they all kind of looked at each other, like, ‘We’ve never seen anything like this,'” Brumfield reportedly said, adding the United asked them to “go easy” on the airline on social media.

In United's defense it sounds like they all handled it pretty well. Since fuel doesn't generally pour out uphill, it looks to me like that fuel was being pumped, and I would guess that some sort of hose/pipe fixture came loose or broke.
            I just finally found a pic of the leak. Not exactly "like a firehose". The position is also wrong for fuel jettison. I think this is draining from the surge tank, although that's a lot of fuel to be coming from there. They probably overfilled the left wing tank.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Today's Incident

Credit- stolen from an infrequent poster.

CBC has learned a number of Air Canada customers have had tickets cancelled without warning — the latest involving a Vancouver woman who learned her ticket had been refunded when she checked her credit card statement. An air passenger rights advocate says it appears Air Canada's fraud detection system is rejecting valid credit charges.

Very cool, and reminders that Uni Ted is not the sole passenger screwer.

Violation of super crazy basic business practices- maybe try to tell someone when you cancel their ticket...

...and maybe check to see if you got paid before deciding that the credit card is not good and deciding that a reservation should be canceled...like, maybe if you got paid, maybe the credit card is OK...(or is that too complicated to go into the COC?)

And, passengers tell war stories of having to buy higher priced tickets and getting stone walls, blow offs and deaf ears in attempts to rectify screw-overs which were not of their making- with the same ole line..."the give and take" is you give and we take.

Solution: More government regulation.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Today's incident.

-You decide to go cheap. Check.

-You book something. Check.

-You hand over $. Check.

-The provider is over booked...your reservation is canceled. Check.

-The provider does NOT give you your money back. Check.

-You call customer service. Check.

-None of the peon CSA's nor their peon CSA managers, nor this person nor that person, can help, please hold, you'll need to call 1-800-pass-the-buck-to-some-other-group-with-multi-hour-hold-times-who-ALSO-has-no-authority-to-do-anything. Check.

-You are (eventually) offered something OTHER than what you paid for. Check.

-The fine print in the COCOC (Conntract of Crappinng on Customers *see footnote) says they are not responsible when they are not responsible, and of course, they are usually not responsible. Check.

-PR department states, "We are very sorry about what happened in this rare case, but worked with the customer to rectify it". Check.

Yeah, its United Airlines that sucks...boycott them and use someone else...that will send them the message that there's competition in the marketplace and companies that TRULY care about their customers!

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/isnt-woman...ws-travel.html

*Footnote: ON 2017.07.05 at approximately 2200Z, 3BS herby modifies his claim to have originally created the acronym 'COCOC' to represent 'Contract of Crapping on Customers'.

Comment

-

-PR department states, "We are very sorry about what happened in this rare case, but worked with the customer to rectify it". Check.
                  You forgot the final indignity:

- Email questionaire arrives: HOW ARE WE DOING? PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO RATE YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE.

Now this has nothing to do with solving policy problems. It's just a lazy way for them to weed out the underinspired CSA who, thanks to policy, had no way to help you.

So, rate it bad, the poor stooge loses his job. Rate it good, you lose your mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                    You forgot the final indignity:

- Email questionaire arrives: HOW ARE WE DOING? PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO RATE YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE. Check.

Now this has nothing to do with solving policy problems. It's just a lazy way for them to weed out the underinspired CSA who, thanks to policy, had no way to help you.

So, rate it bad, the poor stooge loses his job. Rate it good, you lose your mind. Check.
                    Indeed, and fixed. Check.

Comment

• not to disagree but one way to avoid a lot of this shyte is to deal DIRECTLY with the business and AVOID consolidators like expedia, booking.com etc etc. doesnt protect you from the COCOC necessarily, but it does remove one layer of bs.

i agree it's time (passed time) for a consumer rebellion, fat chance of any gov protections coming into place with humpty dumpty in DC

Comment

there's competition in the marketplace and companies that TRULY care about their customers!
                        Like..... [sound similar to crickets chirping in the background]

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                          i agree it's time (passed time) for a consumer rebellion, fat chance of any gov protections coming into place with humpty dumpty in DC
                          When we do that, please let's include in our demands a minimum % of seats with a minimum mandatory legroom.

Comment

• and untied marches on into infamy with yet ANOTHER eff-up: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/06/unite...ased-seat.html

like i said, time for a rebellion. it is not enough to continue to eff people over INTENTIONALLY and then issue an apology. this has to stop or BE stopped.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                              it is not enough to continue to eff people over INTENTIONALLY and then issue an apology. this has to stop or BE stopped.
                              Comcast does it on a daily basis, doesn't apologize, and has one of the highest customer-satisfaction ratings in their sector. Welcome to the 21st century.
                              Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Today's Incident

Edit: In reference to Tee Vee's post indicating that United didn't like not being the center of attention.

And, so beautifully fits the formula we're centering on...and Evan's concern over what you get when you send money and reserve a seat (not looking for blame, as much as explanations and Swiss cheese layers).

No intention of cheating seems (see footnotes) to be present here, but did we AGAIN to forget to check in little Johnny?

Footnote: Of course, the final report isn't in yet...maybe she deliberately didn't check in little Johnny hoping to make a scene when they gave away his seat?

Comment

Working...
                                X