Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 586

Thread: The United debarcle

  1. #421
    Member ATLcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    The offending officer was fired. A sargeant who subsequently falsified the report was also fired. Now we're getting somewhere.
    Not really, Evan. Two scapegoats got picked and disposed of. "We" are not getting anywhere.

  2. #422
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
    oh please! what is fake is "respect" for a song, a song that has now been equated with somehow representing the military. freedom of speech has long ago been determined to allow even flag burning. so really, who gives a f$%^ about the stupid anthem?
    Trouble is, you have a lot of sporting events that start off with some military veteran coming and standing on the field and waving to the crowd...rah rah rah.

    All of this gets into a nasty gray area- does the sports team truly CARE about those folks...

    OR

    ...or is this just a rah-rah-feel-good make your fans happy while you charge big bucks for tickets and hot dogs and beer to pay a lot of millionaires. (I think the answer is probably SOME of both).

    Then you turn around and make a somewhat disparaging action for the National Anthem...

    And, none of this has to do with law OR right or wrong, it's all about the PR, and exactly what you want to say to your paying customers. The almighty dollar trumps all, and if the spectators want to cry foul and take their $ elsewhere, that is also their right.

    Now, to hell with sports, on this airplane deal, I read that the passengers might have been asked to 'sit in silence' during the offloading- Ok, I'm thinking that is an appropriate respectful thing to do, and would tend to suggest this might have been more of a 'look at me' effort from the singing passenger, instead of actually honoring the soldier...

    Like I said, this incident- while likely true- tends strongly towards fake news.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  3. #423
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLcrew View Post
    Not really, Evan. Two scapegoats got picked and disposed of. "We" are not getting anywhere.
    Really?

    The cop who escalated the thing, dragged the guy out of his seat, inflicting his injuries, and then dragged him off the plane is a scapegoat?

    The sergeant who then intentionally falsified the report is a scapegoat?

    I can't find the logic in that.

  4. #424
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Really?

    The cop who escalated the thing, dragged the guy out of his seat, inflicting his injuries, and then dragged him off the plane is a scapegoat?

    The sergeant who then intentionally falsified the report is a scapegoat?

    I can't find the logic in that.
    Correct.

    You are thinking with black and white logic. (You are correct that, Indeed, there are two problems removed)

    ATL is thinking with the slightest shred of gray in his logic. (Two problems out of 23,373,542,342 problems...does not really move the line)

    Hell, arguably, ATL's logic is black and white...you have to go out a hell of a lot of decimal points to detect your finite change.

    Either way- ATL is correct too...and I'll even go so far as to say MORE correct.

    Back in 1984...the pressure to fertilize 5 lawns per hour meant that I was not like the dude depicted on TV...kneeling down, caressing the grass, having a pleasant 20 minute conversation with the customer...hell no, open the spreader wide, run, throw it in the truck and peel out...and hope the customer doesn't see you because they feel cheated that they only got 5 minutes of 'expert service' (they did get the appropriate dose of fertilizer, though).

    AND

    Per some earlier conversations: NO.... I am not sitting here playing with my black and white Evan voodoo doll...as usual, you mostly bring this on yourself.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  5. #425
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Ahh yes...the perceived authority and power trip issues when liars are being filmed...

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news...t5R&ocid=ientp

    Indeed, video evidence is not good, and lawyers can pick up on simple little errors and make a big lawsuit out of it.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  6. #426
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    Ahh yes...the perceived authority and power trip issues when liars are being filmed...

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news...t5R&ocid=ientp

    Indeed, video evidence is not good, and lawyers can pick up on simple little errors and make a big lawsuit out of it.
    Apparently a frozen cargo door latch...

    “There was a problem with the latch door to the luggage compartment and when it passed 10 o’clock apparently the crew couldn’t fly anymore...
    Two words of advice: hair dryer.

  7. #427
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Two words of advice: hair dryer.
    Not so fast, those can cause serious problems too:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9653432-large.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	12955
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

    Eric Law

  8. #428
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    6,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elaw View Post
    Not so fast, those can cause serious problems too:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9653432-large.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	12955
    Was that the hair dryer or the glue?

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  9. #429
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    1/28/2018. Headline on Yahoo: "United making major changes as travelers refuse to purchase lower fares" (Along with more coverage of the 737-Min scientifically-engineered lavatories)

    Meaning?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  10. #430
    Senior Member TeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    1,854

    Default

    and i'm sure someone here will blame the third party ticket seller and/or the landlord, but for chrissake!!!!

    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/unit...215717599.html

  11. #431
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    1/28/2018. Headline on Yahoo: "United making major changes as travelers refuse to purchase lower fares" (Along with more coverage of the 737-Min scientifically-engineered lavatories)

    Meaning?
    I think it means the race to the bottom has reached the finish line.

  12. #432
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Uht-oh...

    AA has kicked a beautiful person off a plane-and it might have been while the plane was stopped on the insidious active taxiway.

    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fitn...214419330.html

    Regarding Evan's comment above I lean more towards smoke and mirrors PR mumbo jumo...bring on the 737-Max where the hydraulics of the miniaturized bathroom sink have uncommanded reversals of waterflow...
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  13. #433
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
    and i'm sure someone here will blame the third party ticket seller and/or the landlord, but for chrissake!!!!

    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/unit...215717599.html
    Just some comments:

    She was really in her seat-and THEN the have-we-been-paid checklist is run? Something smells wrong here.

    Unfortunately, the dying relative ploy was probably grossly abused over the years- I tend to believe that entities you to a sad face and a sympathetic comment, but whip out a credit card AT THE TICKET COUNTER, or you don't fly...
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  14. #434
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    6,103

    Default

    On an almost totally unrelated note ("almost" to avoid absolute statements), you native speakers guy's don't have an idea how much do these things hurt our eyes to us second-language speakers who, instead of learning the language naturally, had to burn our eyes for years and years to obtain only a limited skill.

    just because she's recording something doesn't mean she's right she's obviously being rude there's always there side of the story her side of the story and the truth
    (blue are minor pains, red is major suffering)

    Just because she's recording something doesn't mean she's right. She's obviously being rude. There's always their side of the story, her side of the story and the truth.
    their, they're, and there are three different things
    his vs he's
    its vs it's
    affect vs effect

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  15. #435
    Senior Member TeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    1,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    Just some comments:

    She was really in her seat-and THEN the have-we-been-paid checklist is run? Something smells wrong here.

    Unfortunately, the dying relative ploy was probably grossly abused over the years- I tend to believe that entities you to a sad face and a sympathetic comment, but whip out a credit card AT THE TICKET COUNTER, or you don't fly...
    i'd be interested in knowing the exact timeline cuz i have a hard time believing that the landlord changed the ticket between the time her BP was scanned and the time they ejected her from the plane. i imagine there has to be an ABSOLUTE cutoff time at which the final check on all ticketed pax is done. maybe it's after boarding, but if that is so, then woe are the airlines for allowing people to board then creating chaos by ejecting them.

    as for the treatment of grieving folks, thankfully my only experience with this is when my dad died in 2014. i was on a transcon flight with no wifi and when i landed in sfo and turned on my phone, it practically blew up with messages of all sorts. i stumbled off the plane and called aa (ex plat desk gives better service than agents in airport). they didnt even blink and immediately put me on a flight to DTW where my dad was to be buried. no questions, no charges. amidst the ridiculous pain i was experiencing at the moment it didn't even register in my brain how smoothly they handled things. days later i thought about it and was quite thankful.

    yes, i am 110% positive that people abuse this reason just as they abuse the emotional support animal BS.

  16. #436
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    at 1,600 metres
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
    and i'm sure someone here will blame the third party ticket seller and/or the landlord, but for chrissake!!!!

    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/unit...215717599.html
    I know of relatives and friends who have bought tickets though non-airline sources (third party ticket sellers) then have problems when a flight is cancelled or a ticket change is needed. My wife and always book our flights directly though the airline.

  17. #437
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
    yes, i am 110% positive that people abuse this reason just as they abuse the emotional support animal BS.
    Three words: EMOTIONAL SUPPORT PEACOCK.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42880690

  18. #438
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Three words: EMOTIONAL SUPPORT PEACOCK with the expectation it would fly free...

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42880690
    Added some icing to the cake.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  19. #439
    Senior Member TeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    1,854

    Default

    as i said, abuse.

  20. #440
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,332

    Default ALL TIME LOW!!!!!!!! /Blue Font

    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/delta-c...201234990.html

    In case the link goes dead, the US Olympic Curling team asked Delta for a first class upgrade.

    Their response: Congratulations on your win, we look forward to having you on board; however, no upgrades are available.

    Weak-ass Yahoo article attempts to turn it into a social media war and cite Delta for crappy customer service.

    I guess I can see some crazy PR value...free upgrade for the curling team (Oh, he ironing)...but then again, we book the planes full and if you don't have seats open, you don't have seats open.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •