The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    Aw come on ATL...you gotta admit that pilots selling credit cards is kind of a new low for the marketing department...and something makes me think that maybe the pilots aren't overly in love with it. (Yes, a pure ass-hat guess).
    I don't know what went on on that particular flight, but I'm on AA probably more than TeeVee is, and I've never heard any other pilot doing it (or on any other airline, for that matter). Maybe this was just an unusually dedicated employee, or, perhaps more likely, a management pilot (assistant chief, chief, fleet manager or similar). They're a different breed altogether.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
      1. I'm on AA probably more than TeeVee is, and I've never heard any other pilot doing it (or on any other airline, for that matter).
      2. Maybe this was just an unusually dedicated employee, or, perhaps more likely, a management pilot (assistant chief, chief, fleet manager or similar).
      3. They're a different breed altogether.
      1. Noted.
      2. Concur (based on your data).
      3. Indeed. (ass-umption based on management, in general)
      4. Thanks.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
        The credit card companies probably share this observation.

Next year:

"Ladies and gentlemen, the captain has turned on the sign up for credit card sign."
        In addition to double points, the "Fly-with-us" charge card will get you free access to the aircraft lavatory and half price on the TP dispenser.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Aw come on ATL...you gotta admit that pilots selling credit cards is kind of a new low for the flight department.
          Fixed

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

In addition to double points, the "Fly-with-us" charge card will get you free access to the aircraft lavatory and half price on the TP dispenser***.
            ***Lavatory offer commences after the first $1000 of per-month purchases. Subject to standby status if any paying customers are awaiting access. Free access limited to the first 30 seconds. Additional seconds will be charged at the standard rate of $.50 per second up to a maximum of $10,000. #1 only. Soap, mirror and paper towels available for an additional fee. Does not include applicable fees, taxes and surcharges. Offer subject to change mid-flight without notice.

Comment

***Lavatory offer commences after the first $1000 of per-month purchases. Subject to standby status if any paying customers are awaiting access. Free access limited to the first 30 seconds. Additional seconds will be charged at the standard rate of $.50 per second up to a maximum of $10,000. #1 only. Soap, mirror and paper towels available for an additional fee. Does not include applicable fees, taxes and surcharges. Offer subject to change mid-flight without notice.
              Very good. Would be hilarious if it wasn’t for the potential of it being true !
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Ahhh, the fine print that the captain “forgets” to say. See they really don’t want to distract the crew from their main job by explaining all that.

Comment

I don't need to, counselor, I was based there for nearly a year, but thanks for you input. Just to clarify, though, you're saying Rosemont, Des Plaines, Schiller Park et al are represented by Chicago aldermen?
                  clearly you DO because you're dead wrong. maybe while based there for "nearly a year" you spent more time out than in. but don't take my word for it. https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e..._alderman.html put in the airport address (10000 w o'hare st) and see what it says. or maybe check out the pdf attached. what's that? a bunch of runways smack dab in ward 41 of THE CITY OF CHICAGO???
                  Attached Files

Comment

A rather unequivocal statement, especially from someone who is not a subject matter expert, don't you think, counselor?

I get the sense your ire has nothing to do with this particular pilot or this particular PA. Seems to me you're just miffed that the entire AA above-wing staff at MIA don't bow all the way to the ground every time a customer of your caliber crosses the airport boundary.
                    i'm gonna ignore your uninformed (dare i say, ignorant) comment, because you don't know me.

as for the line being crossed, it clearly has. aa's marketing to pax trapped in a tube is improper at best and downright despicable at worst. nowhere in the COC does any pax give consent to be marketed to while on board. we pay to be transported not inundated with marketing shyte.

aa has had its cabin crews doing the marketing for who knows how long. and as much as it bothered me, i never complained. having the flight crew do it is just wrong.

but just for shits an giggles, if you think it's ok, come straight out and say it, so we all know where you're at. (or at least "think" you're at, since you appear to have trouble with geography)

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                      clearly you DO because you're dead wrong. maybe while based there for "nearly a year" you spent more time out than in. but don't take my word for it. https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e..._alderman.html put in the airport address (10000 w o'hare st) and see what it says. or maybe check out the pdf attached. what's that? a bunch of runways smack dab in ward 41 of THE CITY OF CHICAGO???
                      The question I asked was whether Rosemont, Des Plaines and Schiller Park are represented by Chicago aldermen. I didn't ask you who owned the airport. For the record, that would be the "area around the airport", not just a few blocks immediately to the east. It's all about geography, counselor.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post

but just for shits an giggles, if you think it's ok, come straight out and say it, so we all know where you're at. (or at least "think" you're at, since you appear to have trouble with geography)
                        Whether I think it's OK or not is immaterial. There is no safety issue here. It may be annoying, but what else is new? Judging by your posts, there is not a whole lot that AA does that does NOT annoy you.

Comment

Whether I think it's OK or not is immaterial. There is no safety issue here. It may be annoying, but what else is new? Judging by your posts, there is not a whole lot that AA does that does NOT annoy you.
                          i'm certainly not a fanboy, but on the whole, they are better than any other airline i've flown, with the exception of maybe, ba.

you are supposedly a pilot, or at least claim to be, so it's no surprise that you think one of your own is sitting up front blabbing on about a credit card offer for 4 minutes is not a safety issue. you may be right. until of course they crash because they were too busy talking crap to make their employers happy. as a paying passenger, the ONLY thing i want the 2 people up front doing from wheels up to wheels down is flying the plane. that is what they are paid to do and nothing more.

shit like this is the beginning of a slippery slope. it's all good until it's not. then people like you will be defending themselves saying, "well, i never said it was ok."

p.s. if you really are a commercial pilot, your opinion on this really is not immaterial.

Comment

• The headlines never stop giving.

Let's see- we have poop on the seat.

We have the FA division blaming the maintenance division. We have the customer service division allegedly telling the customer he's screwed.

We have questions about procedures...a bottle of gin vs. a biohazard kit.

We have allegations that the crew said, sit in it or take another flight. (I will defend the flight crew here- like ARE THERE ANY OTHER SEATS OPEN ON A TYPICAL FLIGHT?). And dang...what about the folks nearby...what about EVERYONE on the plane (Oh yeah, procedures again).

I guess this does meet some mega-eye-rolling-where-in-the-hell-is-the-common-sense. I am not an aviation professional pilot nor FA nor dispatcher, nor gate agent, nor medical person...but I'd GUESS the plane should have been taken out of service. (Of course, then a hundred or so folks aren't getting to where they are going- and no way in hell does Delta have a backup plane- even though ATL is one hell of a big hub.)

Also cool is the "Frequent Flier super-duper category claim."

Instead of calling the gate and asking for sanitizing products, the man alleges a flight attendant gave him two paper towels and a bottle of gin to clean himself with in the lavatory.

Comment

Let's see- we have poop on the seat.

We have the FA division blaming the maintenance division. We have the customer service division allegedly telling the customer he's screwed.

We have questions about procedures...a bottle of gin vs. a biohazard kit.

We have allegations that the crew said, sit in it or take another flight. (I will defend the flight crew here- like ARE THERE ANY OTHER SEATS OPEN ON A TYPICAL FLIGHT?). And dang...what about the folks nearby...what about EVERYONE on the plane (Oh yeah, procedures again).

I guess this does meet some mega-eye-rolling-where-in-the-hell-is-the-common-sense. I am not an aviation professional pilot nor FA nor dispatcher, nor gate agent, nor medical person...but I'd GUESS the plane should have been taken out of service. (Of course, then a hundred or so folks aren't getting to where they are going- and no way in hell does Delta have a backup plane- even though ATL is one hell of a big hub.)

Also cool is the "Frequent Flier super-duper category claim."

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/can-...224107240.html
                              Are you sure this is real?

An airplane seat is a food service area. There is no way this is not a health code violation, not since the discovery of cholera anyway. Delta would know that.

I also find it hard to believe anyone even remotely close to such a scene could bear to remain there. No meeting is that important and anyone would be forgiven for taking a later flight.

Not to mention the unlikelihood that ground services would miss that during cleaning.

But then again... this is figuratively how they treat us everyday...

But this guy was a "million-miler". I guess now TeeVee can give up his delusions of that Eldorado.

Comment

Are you sure this is real?
                                It's been on Yahoo for two days in a row- it HAS to be real.

And the statement from Delta sounded real enough that "some errors were made".

Comment

Working...
                                X