Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backlit?

Hi,

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I can agree with the contrast and exposure rejection, but I don't understand why you are labelling this also as "backlit", when it is physically impossible for this to make sense for an airplane landing Runway 15 at around 4 PM when the sun is directly to the west (behind my back).

This is cloudy / overcast conditions and the aircraft might be in the shadow of a cloud, but it's absolutely definitely not "own shadow". If you take away the clouds - this is how it would be lit https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8572779

Thank you

Originally posted by Oleksiy Naumov View Post
    Hi,

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I can agree with the contrast and exposure rejection, but I don't understand why you are labelling this also as "backlit", when it is physically impossible for this to make sense for an airplane landing Runway 15 at around 4 PM when the sun is directly to the west (behind my back).

This is cloudy / overcast conditions and the aircraft might be in the shadow of a cloud, but it's absolutely definitely not "own shadow". If you take away the clouds - this is how it would be lit https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8572779

Thank you
    Hello,
    I have seen your photo, and i agree with screener's decision it is indeed backlit. I can understand what you said and i also experience the same situation. But the screener will reject your photo base on this photo they will not care about other photos that has accepted. What's more as you said that the weather is overcast so it is the reason that make your photo backlit. And your photo has different weather with the photo that you showed so although we know the sun is behind you at that time but it still appears backlit in this case due to overcast weather.

Cheers,
    Harry

Comment

In other words - it's backlit, because background is brighter than the aircraft itself. I had the same issues, and unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it. And yeah, it's not in the rules, so it maybe confusing, but that's just the way it is.

Cheers

Comment

Thank you HarryLi,

I agree with your point the sky conditions in both photos should not really be compared - that was just to illustrate where the sun is.

This is from the guidelines:

5.1 Backlit

As a general rule: Don't take pictures with the sun in your eyes, shooting against the sun puts the visible half of the aircraft in shadow which means we can't see it to its advantage. Backlit shots they will be rejected. As a rule of thumb: if the tail casts a shadow on the fuselage, the photo is most likely to be rejected for backlit.

None of it is the case with my photo in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by pawelm View Post
          In other words - it's backlit, because background is brighter than the aircraft itself. I had the same issues, and unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it. And yeah, it's not in the rules, so it maybe confusing, but that's just the way it is.

Cheers
          Thanks, this makes more sense

Comment

Working...
          X