US to sell F-15s to Qatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US to sell F-15s to Qatar

Amid the ongoing diplomatic crisis between Qatar and a number of its Gulf neighbors, the US has agreed to sell $12 billion worth of American F-15 fighters to the country.

Anyone hear about this? Kinda interesting, given the harsh words against Qatar used by some involved in the approval process. Also interesting how Israel and the rest of the Gulf countries will react.

Originally posted by Black Ram View Post
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/14/po...gon/index.html

Anyone hear about this? Kinda interesting, given the harsh words against Qatar used by some involved in the approval process. Also interesting how Israel and the rest of the Gulf countries will react.
    I doubt is Israel would be too worried by the Qatari air force! What the KSA and other Gulf countries, which have taken action against Qatar think, is another issue. I doubt if they will be too happy. The only thing that strikes me is how Qatar hopes to crew these aircraft (and the Rafales). They have a small indigenous population. Of that number, how many will have the qualities required to be a fighter pilot; what is the ratio of those who apply to be fighter pilot in western countries, to those who make it through training and qualify as front line pilots - one in a thousand, perhaps? You take that proportion of people who want to be military pilots, out of a small population ... how many will they get?

Sure, they can hire in foreign pilots and pay them a lot, BUT when the chips are down and Qatar is under military attack from the RSAF and the UAEAF ... how many of them will want to stay on lay down their lives for Qatar?

Comment

Yeah, good point. I guess it's also a deterrent.

As for Israel, they have been against this deal from the beginning, unless they got a good US aid package so they could order some more F-15s themselves. Whether they get them or not, it's good to see the F-15 still going strong.

I'd love to see a new stealthier version, with leading edge extensions and maybe thrust vectoring!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ram View Post

I'd love to see a new stealthier version, with leading edge extensions and maybe thrust vectoring!
        And bigger cupholders.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
          And bigger cupholders.
          hahaha

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X