Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sat in traffic to get to Longbridge park by Reagan National for 45 minutes (which is usually a 20 minute drive for me). Then as I try to start shooting, I realize I forgot my memory card on my PC at home. I go into my camera bag, and realize that my backup memory card is sitting on my desk at home as well. Now, I never leave my memory card in my computer.
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/iadspotter

Comment

I was shooting some photos at SBA, when I trip over the curb and absolutely destroy my 18-55 lens. Had to use 70-300 MM lens for all shots. They didn't turn out that well...

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/sba.spotter

Comment

Back in 2013, I flew from Ohio to LAX for the PHX Spotters / NYC Aviation meetup. I was only going to be there for 20 hours or so, but I flew for the sake of seeing old friends, plus I had miles. Took my 70-200 and my 28-70L.

For those of you who have been to In n Out, you know a wide lens is needed.

I started shooting, and found out that my 28-70... wouldn't focus from about halfway to infinity. So I had to shoot with the 70-200, and most shots were less than ideal.

What happened? About 1 month before the LAX trip I went to CMH for my weekly spotting, for some reason I was hand carrying my 1DS/28-70 when I left the apartment, tossed it in the passenger seat and forgot to buckle it up. Going up the helical parking garage ramp pushed the camera towards the door (thank you, centripetal force) and when I mindlessly opened the passenger door to retrieve my gear, the lens tumbled down from my lifted truck (thanks gravity) and sort of snapped in two on impact. I put it back together but the focus was off and I never checked it until I got to LAX. Ended up being a $350 rebuild (on a lens that I paid $700 for) and kind of a wasted trip. The 1DS was fine, although the pavement did crack a bit where it landed.

The 25,000 MileagePlus mile 3x3 with animal fries however, was worth it. And so was the layover in Denver, where I highly recommend stopping by New Belgium brewing.
        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

I once went inside the terminal at ULLI to get some food, was in the middle of it when I heard “Japan Airlines flight xxxx has landed”

It was a 787.

JAL doesn’t fly to ULLI.

It was right there, it was a once in a lifetime charter.

And I missed it.

Comment

I went to RAF Northolt for a night shoot.

I took my camera.

I took spare batteries.

I took a wireless remote shutter release.

I left my tripod just inside the garage door !!

Luckily, someone had a spare tripod.

It was my wife.

It took ages to live that one down !!!
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I need to bring this up so it won't get lost in my memory bank.

January 2017, Japan Air Force One was set to arrive DVO at night (20-1102), we caught it and called it a night, 20-1101 (the backup a/c) was to arrive the next morning and it was pretty late, i had two options: to sleep and hope i get up to the alarm (i had a mistake with an Atlas 744F years before) or stay up enough to catch it on morning arrival, i chose the latter and rode out the night, eventually caught the 2nd aircraft. called it off and went home and planned to come back later. since there wasn't any info of its departure i decided to take a doze off, i set an alarm for 11AM (this was a lifesaver), woke up to the alarm to the news that they were about to depart! rushed the way back to the airport but as i did 20-1102 took off, i missed JF001, luckily i still had enough time to catch the backup aircraft depart. and that was that.

lesson: get some sleep!

Comment

Working on my 70-300 lens, I tried using an electric buffing attachment on my dremel tool to polish it. Only to realize that I had used the wrong tip. I had used a tip for grinding. Lesson 1: Pay attention to the bits you attach to your tools. Lesson 2: Polish your lenses by hand.

Comment

Receiving a reject for bad info and on your phone finding out, I've ticked the wrong registration

Comment

Uploaded a seaplane photo that never been seen here. Thought i may score a "first registration". Got rejection in 5 min. Tried to add a little post processing work and resubmitted. Rejected again. Loss 2 queues in 15 min Click image for larger version

Name:	facepalm_wowp.gif
Views:	428
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1080363

Comment

I did something really stupid a few days ago LOL

So when I edit my pictures I usually have 2 edits with 3 exports:

Edit 1: Edit for JP, exported to 1280 long side
                      Edit 2: I take the JP edit and clone out things like bits of fences etc that distract from the final image, and I export that at 1280 long side for facebook/instagram
                      Edit 3, same as edit 2 but exported at full resolution for my website

I then place each export in its respective folder: JetPhotos for uploads to JetPhotos, IG/FB for instagram and facebook, and Website for my website

Well, apparently I somehow managed to put my IG/FB versions in both my IG/FB folder AND my JetPhotos folder, meaning I uploaded to the queue several pictures that had things cloned out which is a big NO NO on JetPhotos lol

Result: I got 6 pictures rejected for photo manipulation, lowered my accept ratio to only 90.63%, lost 6 upload slots for something stupid I did, and I got a warning that my account will be marked and if this happens again there will be bad consequences!!!

Lesson learned: Double check, TRIPLE check that I am uploading the correct file (I don't know how I missed it on the upload while reviewing the pictures after they were uploaded) and maybe most importantly don't move exported pictures in their respective folders when you've been awake 20+ hours LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 71sbeetle View Post
                        I did something really stupid a few days ago LOL

So when I edit my pictures I usually have 2 edits with 3 exports:

Edit 1: Edit for JP, exported to 1280 long side
                        Edit 2: I take the JP edit and clone out things like bits of fences etc that distract from the final image, and I export that at 1280 long side for facebook/instagram
                        Edit 3, same as edit 2 but exported at full resolution for my website

I then place each export in its respective folder: JetPhotos for uploads to JetPhotos, IG/FB for instagram and facebook, and Website for my website

Well, apparently I somehow managed to put my IG/FB versions in both my IG/FB folder AND my JetPhotos folder, meaning I uploaded to the queue several pictures that had things cloned out which is a big NO NO on JetPhotos lol

Result: I got 6 pictures rejected for photo manipulation, lowered my accept ratio to only 90.63%, lost 6 upload slots for something stupid I did, and I got a warning that my account will be marked and if this happens again there will be bad consequences!!!

Lesson learned: Double check, TRIPLE check that I am uploading the correct file (I don't know how I missed it on the upload while reviewing the pictures after they were uploaded) and maybe most importantly don't move exported pictures in their respective folders when you've been awake 20+ hours LOL!!!
                        Actually, it wasn't just the most recent batch of uploads you seem to have done this. Some from your previous batch (January) that were accepted were also found to have such manipulation, and were deleted from the DB. As long as you've got your folders sorted out this shouldn't be an issue going forward, but if it were to happen again, yes, you could face the removal of upload slots.

Comment

Back in September I was flying back up ACT-DFW-FAR, and we flew over DFW to give me an amazing view of the airport. I had my 10-18 lens on at the time to get some good wide shots with the wing and engine framing DFW. There was a point where I was wondering why it wouldn't focus as well. Still got some good in focus shots, but somehow it got switched off of autofocus and to manual. Figured that out while we turned to join downwind for 17C. Oh well.
                          Had a moment yesterday, too. I brought my camera to work because a B-52 did a flyover for the hospital. I work a couple miles away, but within reach of my 100-400. It wasn't until afterwards I was looking through my pictures and realized my shutter speed was up around 1/4000 and 1/5000. Beautifully clear day, so there was no need for that fast. Turns out my ISO was still bumped up to 800 from shooting some contrails the evening before. No good shots for here because of the distance, but still cool to see and experience a B-52 flying by! I usually reset my settings when I'm done shooting. For whatever reason I didn't the other evening. Oh well.
                          Live and learn!

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer View Post
                            Back in September I was flying back up ACT-DFW-FAR, and we flew over DFW to give me an amazing view of the airport. I had my 10-18 lens on at the time to get some good wide shots with the wing and engine framing DFW. There was a point where I was wondering why it wouldn't focus as well. Still got some good in focus shots, but somehow it got switched off of autofocus and to manual. Figured that out while we turned to join downwind for 17C. Oh well.
                            Had a moment yesterday, too. I brought my camera to work because a B-52 did a flyover for the hospital. I work a couple miles away, but within reach of my 100-400. It wasn't until afterwards I was looking through my pictures and realized my shutter speed was up around 1/4000 and 1/5000. Beautifully clear day, so there was no need for that fast. Turns out my ISO was still bumped up to 800 from shooting some contrails the evening before. No good shots for here because of the distance, but still cool to see and experience a B-52 flying by! I usually reset my settings when I'm done shooting. For whatever reason I didn't the other evening. Oh well.
                            Live and learn!
                            My dad told me today there was a B-52 flying around Spokane, and I while rare nowadays I didn't think too much of it because they were based here at Fairchild AFB like 25 years ago plus until it became a KC-135 base mostly, but it wasn't unusual to see them when I was a kid in the late 90s and early 2000s even since they still stopped here sometimes and I have heard many a story from my parents and experienced the house rattling because of their engines. So I figured it was a routine stop today but perhaps they are here for the same reason! The Veterans Hospital in fact is the one closest to where I live, plus we have 2 large hospitals and a decent sized one besides that. I did not see or hear it sadly but I will keep an eye out for it.

Comment

A few years ago, I heard a loud sound at the airport. Looked up and saw a DC-9 climbing away with its majestic smoke trail behind; grabbed the camera and snapped "a whole bunch of pics", only for it to say card not in camera. Left it in the PC, Yikes. Guys and Gals, please don't make the same mistake I made!

Comment

Some time ago I took photo of small aircraft Aeroprakt with new registration. And I did 10 tries and got 10 rejects because of contrast )) Even now I don't know what was wrong. But after that fail I do not try to reupload one pic more than twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X