Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Question about iPhone Photos

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2

    Question Question about iPhone Photos

    Hello,

    I tried uploading a photo taken with my iPhone 6s and it was rejected for being to large.
    I'm brand new to this and am looking for suggestions about how to reduce image size without reducing quality.

    Should I even be trying to submit photos from my phone? I don't have a digital camera or Photoshop, either. Please don't laugh at me too hard.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    JetPhotos.Net Crew LX-A343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zurich Kloten - LSZH
    Posts
    13,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewoods13 View Post
    Hello,

    I tried uploading a photo taken with my iPhone 6s and it was rejected for being to large.
    I'm brand new to this and am looking for suggestions about how to reduce image size without reducing quality.

    Should I even be trying to submit photos from my phone? I don't have a digital camera or Photoshop, either. Please don't laugh at me too hard.

    Thanks.

    Even if we do have a handful of photos taken with smartphones, they are by far outnumbered by rejected photos taken with smartphones. I wouldn't waste any effort at all to upload it here.

  3. #3
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewoods13 View Post
    Hello,

    I tried uploading a photo taken with my iPhone 6s and it was rejected for being to large.
    I'm brand new to this and am looking for suggestions about how to reduce image size without reducing quality.

    Should I even be trying to submit photos from my phone? I don't have a digital camera or Photoshop, either. Please don't laugh at me too hard.

    Thanks.
    It's not impossible to get an image taken with a smartphone accepted, but the conditions need to be just right (good light, very close to the aircraft) for there to be any chance. Getting an image accepted without any editing would be even harder, so adding the two together would amount to quite a formidable task.

    I wouldn't say give up, but you'll need to be realistic with your expectations. You can always use the pre-screening thread in the other forum if you want to be sure if the images are close to being acceptable.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thank you very much for the explanation. This is great info. Looks like I'll need to up my photo game before I dive into this.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Would the method be the same with Android capable phones?

  6. #6
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alldaylong View Post
    Would the method be the same with Android capable phones?
    Which method are you referring to?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Oh sorry, I meant was the scenario of giving up....

  8. #8
    JetPhotos Crew B7772ADL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Surrey, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    2,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alldaylong View Post
    Oh sorry, I meant was the scenario of giving up....
    It might not be impossible but very difficult. The problem with the CMOS cameras used in a majority of smart phones is the level of digital noise they create. You'd need to use it in well lit situation where noise can be minimised by reducing dark areas. Also the lack of optical zoom means you need to be very close to the subject so that it fills the frame on your screen so you minimise the amount of cropping required. Digital zoom really just doesn't give the quality. You basically need to be standing next to the aircraft. If the aircraft turns out to be a tiny dot in the middle of your image then it's pretty much unlikely you'll be able to transform it into a useable photo without turning it into a noisy soft mess.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B7772ADL View Post
    It might not be impossible but very difficult. The problem with the CMOS cameras used in a majority of smart phones is the level of digital noise they create. You'd need to use it in well lit situation where noise can be minimised by reducing dark areas. Also the lack of optical zoom means you need to be very close to the subject so that it fills the frame on your screen so you minimise the amount of cropping required. Digital zoom really just doesn't give the quality. You basically need to be standing next to the aircraft. If the aircraft turns out to be a tiny dot in the middle of your image then it's pretty much unlikely you'll be able to transform it into a useable photo without turning it into a noisy soft mess.
    Thanks for the effort of explaining it to me. I really appreciated it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    If you are keen on using your phone probably best to upload to Flickr.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •