Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 153

Thread: UPLOAD GUIDELINES - New version

  1. #61
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Hi Alex - thank you.
    This, however, is not as clear as it may seem, since there's a clause with "any other newsworthy" event, which leaves some room for interpretation.

  2. #62
    Administrator Alex - Spot-This !'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    4,380

    Default

    Sport charter flights happen daily all around the world and are really not newsworthy. But you did the right thing, ask in the forum

    Have a nice weekend

    Alex

  3. #63
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    66

    Default

    thank you, Alex. Same to you

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    THR/OIII
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Hi guys,
    Am I able to upload shots from the same aircraft in the same day but from different angles and background? (for example one on the runway waiting for take-off clearance and one in landing position hours later).
    Cheers,
    Dara

  5. #65
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    66

    Default

    hey
    I find the "too much or too little contrast" to be the most frustrating rejection ever. Is there any chance you could please separate it into two different ones, similarly to how you do it with the sharpness rejection?
    Thank you.

  6. #66
    Administrator Alex - Spot-This !'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    4,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oleksiy Naumov View Post
    hey
    I find the "too much or too little contrast" to be the most frustrating rejection ever. Is there any chance you could please separate it into two different ones, similarly to how you do it with the sharpness rejection?
    Thank you.
    Understanding if an image is too contrasty or too dull is just about reading the histogram which is really a basic step in photography.
    Please read carefully a very good explanation of that fabulous tool (the histogram) : http://500th.net/articles/perfect-histogram

    or one of the many videos : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXXDWF5cV6Y

    Hope it helps.

    Have a nice weekend

    Alex

  7. #67
    Administrator Alex - Spot-This !'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    4,380

    Default

    And also keep in mind that 90% of the rejections are due to poor contrast. These are mainly pictures taken in bad weather which unfortunately makes the picture dull.
    It's really hard to get any type of good contrast on a white plane landing with a white cloudy overcast weather as background.

  8. #68
    Senior Member brianw999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent. UK.
    Posts
    11,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darazarbaf View Post
    Hi guys,
    Am I able to upload shots from the same aircraft in the same day but from different angles and background? (for example one on the runway waiting for take-off clearance and one in landing position hours later).
    Cheers,
    Dara
    Basically, as you describe it, yes. Please read the upload guidelines as they define our needs.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !


  9. #69
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Union County, NJ, USA
    Posts
    2

    Default

    3.2 Cut Off


    In many cases cropping out parts of the aircraft improves the photo.


    If something has been cut off without a clear motive for doing so it will most likely be rejected. Generally speaking, do not crop through essential parts of the main subject. As a rule of thumb if you want to show a close up of an aircraft, show only the main subject. ... A photo with a part of the aircraft, such as an engine cut off will also lead to a rejection in the majority of cases.
    Hello, I would just like some clarification here. If the aircraft being photographed has a special scheme, say one of the Lufthansa 747-8 Sticker liveries (Fanhansa, ***** Starhansa), and it only focused on the front fuselage with one wing in the background, would it be rejected? In other words, in example 3, only one engine is cut off. If both engines were in frame, or one wing was in frame and the other wasn't, or if one engine isn't in frame at all and it's just one of the wings in the background, would that be accepted? I can provide the image in question if needed. Thanks!

  10. #70
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Villalva View Post
    Hello, I would just like some clarification here. If the aircraft being photographed has a special scheme, say one of the Lufthansa 747-8 Sticker liveries (Fanhansa, ***** Starhansa), and it only focused on the front fuselage with one wing in the background, would it be rejected? In other words, in example 3, only one engine is cut off. If both engines were in frame, or one wing was in frame and the other wasn't, or if one engine isn't in frame at all and it's just one of the wings in the background, would that be accepted? I can provide the image in question if needed. Thanks!
    Yeah, probably better if you posted some images. Also keep in mind many of the guidelines like this are open to interpretation, so may be subjectively evaluated.

  11. #71
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Union County, NJ, USA
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Roger that. Here's what I'm trying to post...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starhansa 748i ginger.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	13541

  12. #72
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Villalva View Post
    Roger that. Here's what I'm trying to post...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starhansa 748i ginger.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	13541
    Besides the severe quality issues, the framing almost works, just needs to avoid cutting the #3 engine. That being said, it's really a moot point unless you've got a better quality image to work with.

  13. #73
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hello. For resizing my photos, how should I do that? I used to resize them a certain way but I don't use that editing software anymore. My camera takes photos in 6000x4000, I should just size it down and keep it at a 3:2 ratio, right? Thanks

  14. #74
    JetPhotos.Net Crew LX-A343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zurich Kloten - LSZH
    Posts
    13,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cvgaviation View Post
    Hello. For resizing my photos, how should I do that? I used to resize them a certain way but I don't use that editing software anymore. My camera takes photos in 6000x4000, I should just size it down and keep it at a 3:2 ratio, right? Thanks
    First rotate and crop the photo (for uploads here: keeping size ratio within the upload guideline), then resize it. The easiest, assuming the large size photo is already correctly framed, is to resize keeping the original size ratio, which will almost always meet the upload guidelines.

  15. #75
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hello,

    I'm new to the site/aviation photography and trying to upload an image that's within the size requirements and "passes validation" when I use the upload button. However after I fill out the appropriate info (Registration, location, SN, etc.) and click the "Upload Photo" button at the bottom of the page it's inactive and won't do anything. I read the guidelines but want to make sure I'm not missing a step??

  16. #76
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JetSales View Post
    Hello,

    I'm new to the site/aviation photography and trying to upload an image that's within the size requirements and "passes validation" when I use the upload button. However after I fill out the appropriate info (Registration, location, SN, etc.) and click the "Upload Photo" button at the bottom of the page it's inactive and won't do anything. I read the guidelines but want to make sure I'm not missing a step??
    Which upload button are you not able to use? The one at the top for submitting the jpeg, or the one at the bottom for submitting the whole form (info + jpeg)?

  17. #77
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlowwa View Post
    Which upload button are you not able to use? The one at the top for submitting the jpeg, or the one at the bottom for submitting the whole form (info + jpeg)?
    I can use the one up top to submit the JPEG, but not the one at the bottom for submitting the whole thing, info and all.

    What I'm also unclear on is if there's a bare minimum amount of information I have to fill out on the form in order to submit? I have the SN and registration filled out, but do I have to fill out every section before it will let me upload?

  18. #78
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JetSales View Post
    I can use the one up top to submit the JPEG, but not the one at the bottom for submitting the whole thing, info and all.

    What I'm also unclear on is if there's a bare minimum amount of information I have to fill out on the form in order to submit? I have the SN and registration filled out, but do I have to fill out every section before it will let me upload?
    Is it a new registration not already in the DB? If so, yes, you will need to fill out all of the pertinent info. If not, please use the autofill. That is likely why you are unable to use the Upload Photo button; it will only become usable once you have filled in the necessary info.

    Let me stress again, if the reg. already exists in the DB, please use the autofill - do not enter any info manually, as that will quite possibly lead to a bad info rejection.

  19. #79
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Hi! In the rules I can see the information about aspect ratio
    1.3 Image Formats

    Photos can be uploaded with an aspect ratio between 4:3 and 3:2, or at an aspect ratio of 16:9.

    I have two question about this.
    1. All this ratios correspond to landscape orientation. At the same time I see photos accepted in the database with portrait orientation (all photos were accepted after September 2017). Could you clearify this moment for me? Is portrait orientation acceptable too?

    2. "ratio between 4:3 and 3:2, or at an aspect ratio of 16:9." it means that 16:10 is not acceptable because it is not between 4:3 and 3:2, or not 16:9. Is it correct?

  20. #80
    JetPhotos.Net Crew LX-A343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zurich Kloten - LSZH
    Posts
    13,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAG View Post
    Hi! In the rules I can see the information about aspect ratio
    1.3 Image Formats

    Photos can be uploaded with an aspect ratio between 4:3 and 3:2, or at an aspect ratio of 16:9.

    I have two question about this.
    1. All this ratios correspond to landscape orientation. At the same time I see photos accepted in the database with portrait orientation (all photos were accepted after September 2017). Could you clearify this moment for me? Is portrait orientation acceptable too?

    2. "ratio between 4:3 and 3:2, or at an aspect ratio of 16:9." it means that 16:10 is not acceptable because it is not between 4:3 and 3:2, or not 16:9. Is it correct?
    1. Portrait shots are also allowed. There are quite a few photos in the db.
    2. The far ends are 4:3 and 16:9. 16:10 is therefore allowed

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •