Air Canada pulls a Hans Solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    We do have reading comprehension issues, don't we? I listed a few important items and that was not one of them.
    No I still read just fine, you said "What are the rules here?...do we get some practice runs? Any hints on good power settings, to have the right speed on final? Easy weather or nasty gusty? CAVU or restricted visibility. Is the runway 200 by 12,000 ft? or 100 by 7000 ft?"

Nope, I will give you the aircraft at 5000' 20 miles out and let her rip!

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      No I still read just fine, you said "What are the rules here?...do we get some practice runs? Any hints on good power settings, to have the right speed on final? Easy weather or nasty gusty? CAVU or restricted visibility. Is the runway 200 by 12,000 ft? or 100 by 7000 ft?"

Nope, I will give you the aircraft at 5000' 20 miles out and let her rip!
      So, I've asked three times for winds and visibility (and some runway details). But, I guess those have no bearing. Since you are a 40,000 hour pilot, I guess you could explain why I'm always hearing that on ATIS and tower frequencies. Indeed, if it's hard IMC and I don't get the stuff you listed, and you can dial up the former Kai tek airport, I may not 'make the field'.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

So, I've asked three times for winds and visibility (and some runway details). But, I guess those have no bearing. Since you are a 40,000 hour pilot, I guess you could explain why I'm always hearing that on ATIS and tower frequencies. Indeed, if it's hard IMC and I don't get the stuff you listed, and you can dial up the former Kai tek airport, I may not 'make the field'.

So sorry, I didn't realize I was required to give you a full briefing.... Miami International Airport Information Echo, at time 0055 Zulu, Winds 360 at 15, Visibility more than 10 miles, ILS Inoperative All Runways, No Radar Services Available, Landing and Departing Runway 8L, 8R and 9, Advise Controller on Initial Contact that you have information Echo.

Feel better now? This is what we get in the sim for visual approaches. Day or night (your choice) 15 knot crosswind and visibility unlimited. You get on that MSFS and set er up, and let me know when you are ready. And use 9 it's the real long one!

Comment

So sorry, I didn't realize I was required to give you a full briefing.... Miami International Airport Information Echo, at time 0055 Zulu, Winds 360 at 15, Visibility more than 10 miles, ILS Inoperative All Runways, No Radar Services Available, Landing and Departing Runway 8L, 8R and 9, Advise Controller on Initial Contact that you have information Echo.

Feel better now? This is what we get in the sim for visual approaches. Day or night (your choice) 15 knot crosswind and visibility unlimited. You get on that MSFS and set er up, and let me know when you are ready. And use 9 it's the real long one!
          Piece of cake. I'll take 8R. Given the crosswind, I prefer wider over longer

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
            Piece of cake. I'll take 8R. Given the crosswind, I prefer wider over longer
            I'd suggest Rwy 30.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
              I'd suggest Rwy 30.
              Closed for rubber removal!

Comment

I'd suggest Rwy 30.
                Great. Now the x-wind component will be 13kts instead of 15 and I will be in a conflicting path with all other planes arriving and departing.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

So sorry, I didn't realize I was required to give you a full briefing....
                  Thank you. I feel that I have adequate knowledge to attempt the landing, and that maybe you are not making special efforts to ensure failure. My confidence does not equal Gabriel's but I would like to give it a try. The lack of an ILS sounds like fun...hopefully 3BS will go easy on his 'dive and pull up' tendencies...it's a big plane...probably good to 'keep ahead of it'.

Based on the occasional opportunity to eaves drop on professional pilots doing briefings, it is interesting that you call that a full briefing. But, I'm just a dumbass outsider, so I guess that's a full briefing.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

***get on that MSFS and set er up***
                    The saddest thing I ever did on MSFS was an ILS to "18C" at DFW.

I programmed in some wind layers close to the ground...35 knots headwind (I think it started about 800 ft AGL...then a 35 knot tailwind (starting at 400 ft AGL).

Couldn't find an L-1011, but used a DC-10.

I knew I was going to see some speed loss, but what was exceptionally sad was when I touched down- kind of gently- about 1000 ft short of the runway.

MSFS does lack realism...there was no car to shut down engine #1 and thus, no hard left turn response towards water tanks.

Comment

***Runway 8L, 8R and 9, Advise Controller on Initial Contact that you have information Echo.***
                      Given my love of ironing and Murphy's law with this particular thread, I'll probably be landing on a damn taxiway.

Comment

The saddest thing I ever did on MSFS was an ILS to "18C" at DFW.
                        That's even sadder considering there IS no 18C at DFW.

Comment

Great. Now the x-wind component will be 13kts instead of 15 and I will be in a conflicting path with all other planes arriving and departing.
                          Considering they routinely use Rwy 12 when other runways are in use also, I have a feeling you'll be fine in regards to "conflicting traffic"...

Comment

That's even sadder considering there IS no 18C at DFW.
                            Noted. @%#%~!

Comment

I am aware of CWS in the 737. I believe that it is the only type that has it. I don't like it, pilots mostly don't like it (and mostly don't use it) and it has caused* some fatal accidents when pilots thought that they were actually flying the plane "as usual" with the yokes.

I would be ok to have a separate control for a sort of "attitude hold" mode, let's say something like the Sperry autopilot in the DC-3, except with some built-in protections.

Note that, after some accidents and incidents, Boeing eliminated the possibility of entering CWS mode just by manipulating the control wheel while in AP. Now you have only one method to enter CWS, which is by selecting that mode. If you manipulate the controls while in AP (but not in CWS), do it smoothly enough and nothing will happen, do it hard enough and the AP will disconnect and you have full manual control. That's a start.

* The CWS itself didn't cause the accidents, of course. As always, we had someone screwing up in the middle.

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

http://avherald.com/h?article=4419c56e/0002&opt=0
                              I just read the link about First Air and also noticed your comment about CWS breakout force. This is actually a great example of what I'm trying to address. In the Yellowknife accident, we see a pilot lose his situational awareness because the automation did something stealthy he was not expecting (reverted to HDG HOLD from ILS capture due to control movement). Was he aware of this danger? In your comment, you are probably referring to a newer version of CWS because on the NG's I am familiar with breakout force (+/-40lbs) will result in CWS activation, not AP disconnect. But some NG's have this feature deactivated or removed, where doing this would simply hand you the plane. Mistaking full manual flight for CWS seems like one of those potentially fatal pitfalls, especially if you are doing this down low. So in this case you would even have to know the SUBTYPE you are flying to have the correct expectations.

Comment

• I believe that this feature (activation of CWS by breakout force) was removed from the logic by Boeing via a software update that I guess was implemented fleet-wide.

Comment

Working...
                                X