Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL1 vs SL2

Hey lads,

I'm still pretty new to the photography world, I've only been using DSLR for about 8 months. Currently, I own the Canon Rebel SL1 or the EOS 100D for you Europeans and I've had it for around 8 months, I bought it brand new. But recently, I noticed the new Canon Rebel SL2 aka EOS 200D and it caught my eye. After doing some research I'm thinking of selling my SL1 and getting an SL2, now my question is if I were to sell my SL1 body (battery included), camera strap and charger. How much should I sell it for? It's in great condition, no scratches or anything like that... it's basically brand new.

P.S. What do you guys think about the SL2, good for spotting or no?

Thanks all,
    Ush

Originally posted by FederalAce View Post
    Hey lads,

I'm still pretty new to the photography world, I've only been using DSLR for about 8 months. Currently, I own the Canon Rebel SL1 or the EOS 100D for you Europeans and I've had it for around 8 months, I bought it brand new. But recently, I noticed the new Canon Rebel SL2 aka EOS 200D and it caught my eye. After doing some research I'm thinking of selling my SL1 and getting an SL2, now my question is if I were to sell my SL1 body (battery included), camera strap and charger. How much should I sell it for? It's in great condition, no scratches or anything like that... it's basically brand new.

P.S. What do you guys think about the SL2, good for spotting or no?

Thanks all,
    Ush
    Difficult question to answer given supply and demand will dictate each individual marketplace's conditions. If I were to sell a camera body, I'd take a look at the cheapest I could buy it new, and take 25-50% off of that. Given you're in western Canada, amazon seems to have the lowest price at $499cdn for a new SL1 kit, so if yours is in perfect condition as you say, I'd probably be looking at asking somewhere in the lower end of the $300-400 range, realising that demand drops pretty quickly for older entry-level bodies. With that in mind, my opinion would be to reconsider whether the $600+ difference (new SL2 $900 - ~$300 for selling SL1) you're going to pay to get the SL2 is worth it. I'd suggest completely not. Unless the SL2 has some killer feature you absolutely must have, the slight upgrade in quality is nowhere near worth what you're going to pay for it. You'd be much better off investing in a better quality lens, which will almost certainly hold its value longer over time.

Comment

I got an SL1 to take to work with me as carrying my other cameras on a 4 day trip would not be practical .... I sold it soon after lol, I think I got $220-250ish for it

I'm not sure how much the SL2 is but I'd look into a good used 50D ($200ish) or 60D ($275ish) it'll have better ISO performance and I think you'll enjoy it more. I recently recommended to my friend a 50D to replace his T6, he jokingly said "I asked for an upgrade not a downgrade, how can a 2008 50D be better than a 2016 T6?" well when he got a 50D he said he was really amazed and doesn't miss the T6 one bit!

Comment

I think the best time to buy - after the release of a newer model, then the previous models will be cheaper. Now I also want to buy a new camera, so tell me, when is the best time this year http://fixthephoto.com/blog/tech-tip...tographer.html ?

Comment

Working...
        X