Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EK A380 Go Around 400ft AGL 8nm from RWY

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Welcome to Russian ATC. No excuse though.

Comment

Not that I'm a big fan of Russian anything, but what is there in that article to suggest ATC was the problem?

I'm pretty sure it's the pilot's responsibility to maintain appropriate clearance between the aircraft and the ground.
      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

One of the comments at AVHerald hypothesized that it was a metric/imperial conversion error the first time around and the GPWS. Second time, I have no idea...

IMO, it seems to be a confusion between an ATC clearance to descend to 800 meters QFE (Final Approach Point at 8NM, 3220ft QNH / 800m QFE) and the crew setting 800ft on the Altitude Select on FCU in OPEN DESCENT.
        Terrain altitude is 600ft AMSL, so they were descending to 200ft AGL.
        The GPWS send the aural warning "TOO LOW TERRAIN" at 400 ft AGL.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post

I'm pretty sure it's the pilot's responsibility to maintain appropriate clearance between the aircraft and the ground.
          As i said...

Originally posted by Evan
          No excuse though.
          It's also the responsibility of the pilots to be familiar with foreign ATC protocol.

It SHOULD be the responsibility of the aviation industry, throughout the world, to standardize these things, but alas, the world is run by idiots.

Comment

If I read the weather right, the quadruple, low-silicon, 400-700 nm passive radar should have been functional.

Or maybe just dutifully following the procedure to use the keyboard instead of the sidestick, since utilizing the side stick increases risks.

Saddened that "What's it doing now" may not have been uttered.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
              If I read the weather right, the quadruple, low-silicon, 400-700 nm passive radar should have been functional.

Or maybe just dutifully following the procedure to use the keyboard instead of the sidestick, since utilizing the side stick increases risks.

Saddened that "What's it doing now" may not have been uttered.
              Hm. Ah, ok flight number 131. If that would've been #055, I should've grabbed the main gear of that bird.. ...
              400 AGL within the glide slope?!
              Man, whe should be glad that on most of the bigger airports (at least in Germany) there is a 10 or even 15 nmi zone for the straight approach.

For the EDDL 23L it is only a 10 nmi zone, without high buildings. Let me later explain it...

PS: The Shard in London is 1,016 AGL, according to en wiki. Hopefully, all flyin computers which are allowed to enter the UK airspace indeed
              do know that building.
              And in Essen (Germany), the RWE Tower is 534 AGL. So. Hopefully, all flyin computers which are allowed to enter the EDDL airspace indeed
              do know that building.

Last but not least, the EDDL CT: ... 286 AGL. ... So, wtf?! Afaik, EDDL provides ILS Cat IIIb for the 23L. That includes a DH of less than 50 AGL. But that NEVER includes an alt of only 400 AGL before you are stabilized on the localizer!

I hope that I've mentioned enough buildings so that during flight number 055 they never come in so extremely low until...
              they are allowed to!
              Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-10-08, 00:44. Reason: Who tf is responsible for these idiotic computers on board?!
              The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
              The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
              And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
              This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Domodedovo. The frequencies seem to be good for e.g.
                a LH-A321.

But one airport without a single nonstop flight across the pond?! So, in how far are they used to ... let's say B764ER, A333, et cetera.

And I know, that the approach in a 767 (or bigger) is different from the A320 family. These A320s climb a kilometer within a second, that's what I feel.

So, can it be true, that this 380 is of a size which the Domodedovo minimals are not (yet) made for?! In the Domodedovo en wiki, they mention
                Tupolev Tu-144.

But this Tupolev (MTOW 207 metric tons) must not be confused with my nickname (MTOW 397 metric tons). And the 380 still is one or two lb heavier...
                So, in a short question.

Is the 380 weight class so very new for Domodedovo, and which a/c was the heaviest jet before the 380 came to Moscow?
                The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

@3WE...... Now, sit down.......count to ten......aaaand... breathe in, breathe out....and repeat !
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

...but only after carefully consulting the manual and making appropriate corrections for barometric pressure, temperature, and altitude.
                    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                      @3WE...... Now, sit down.......count to ten......aaaand... breathe in, breathe out....and repeat !
                      Elaw's comments...noted, and yours...yes, that is an important step.

All well in Flyover America...wishing the same to you across the pond.

I do often wonder exactly what it is that LHB is breathing...seems like it must be some fun stuff...and then the exact location where you count to 10...could definitely be in the flight levels...

Would it help if I start some off topic threads here and there to distract you?
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
                      X