Could this be the end of Ryanair ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be the end of Ryanair ?

Watch/listen to this. This could be the beginning of the end of Ryanair.

This Ryanair pilot was so angered by boss Michael O'Leary's comments about his employees that he called LBC to reveal all about the company's working practices.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Mr O'Leary said: "I would challenge any pilot to explain how this is a difficult job or how it is they are overworked, or how anybody who by law can’t fly more than 18 hours a week could possibly be suffering from fatigue.”
    The annonymous callrer that claimed to be a Rayanair pilot said that they have to pay e 300 for the interview + e 26000 for training that lasts 6 week, that during this time they don't receive a penny from Rayanair, and then the first contract is a zero hour contract for e 20 per hour, and that they even have to take their own water to the fight because Rayanair would sell them the watter as if they were a pax, and that they even didn't get an employee discounted price for it.

A spokesperson for Ryanair said: “These claims are entirely untrue and there is no evidence that this anonymous caller is a Ryanair pilot.

"There is no charge for interviews and Ryanair does not charge for training. Ryanair does not have any ‘zero hour contracts’ and no pilots are flying for “€20 an hour” and free filtered water is available to all crew.”
    By the way, engineers with 4 or 5 years of college (and sometimes with a masters) start their career for less than $20 the hour, working 80 hours per week (nominally, typical work is usually much more, with night calls with the other side of the world and homework for the weekends), and guess what, typically companies also don't offer bottled water or any food or beverage for free. I have cold and hot filtered water and I can bring my own tea bag or instant coffee if I want to drink one.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I don't think it will be the end of FR, but I think they have a huge amount of challenges ahead, the most threatening of which is the action likely to be taken over their employment contracts in various different European countries. That is going to result in massive legal costs, which will affect their bottom line.

Their handling of this dispute and their attempts to force their employees back to work, together with many other revelations coming out (for example, the employees at EMA, who were told to move to a European base for 6 weeks (at their expense!) or face 6 weeks unpaid leave) creates a lot of ill feeling, but I am not sure if this in itself is going to bring them down. It's not as if these revelations are inconsistent with what everyone expected of FR. The danger here is that regulators will take a closer look (for example if they are willfully and knowingly ignoring travellers' rights - in not giving compensation or information about compensation) and heavy fines could be imposed.

Ultimately, they provide a service that people have shown a willingness to pay for (as little as possible for!), so as long as they can continue to do that, I think they will continue to grow, but the handling of this debacle will make them sit back, take note and learn.

Comment

My main argument with Ryanair's refund system is that I am told they only refund the basic fare. If you bought one of their £10 "specials" that's all you get back. They don't refund the taxes and extras paid for. It admittedly doesn't directly affect me as I simply won't ever use them. Domestic animals going to the slaughterhouse are better protected by law than Ryanair passengers.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
        X